David Chiu is past executive director Chinese for Affirmative Action.
Rose Pak continues that tradition today by entertaining newly elected Asian-American politicians—regardless of whether she supported their campaigns—at sumptuous dinner parties at the official residence of the Chinese consul in Forest Hill. Eric Mar and Carmen Chu got this treatment in 2009, though they have never received any help from Pak. She also organizes trips to China for favored politicians and developers. Mar, Chu, and David Chiu accompanied her on a 2009 trip, traveling to Hong Kong and Macao to meet a raft of Chinese government officials whom she has courted to foster business ties.
Occupy SF/Elected Officials
Police called off a raid that had apparently been planned for pre-dawn hours on Thursday, Oct. 27. Supervisors John Avalos, David Chiu, Jane Kim and Eric Mar, along with state Senator Leland Yee, were at the encampment in Justin Herman Plaza.
In 2004, David Ho volunteered to run the field campaign for a school board candidate who was a longtime co-worker of his at CCDC, a young woman named Jane Kim. Kim lost that race, but built a grassroots base that would propel her to victory two years later. Ho also spent time in 2004 mobilizing Asian-American voters for District Five Supervisor candidate Ross Mirkarimi, with many believing this support was critical to the now popular incumbent’s victory.
After helping elect Kim to the School Board in 2006, Ho helped organize the field campaign for then little known supervisor candidate David Chiu in District Three; Chiu also prevailed.
Jane Kim is a close ally of Board of Supervisors President David Chiu, a former roommate who is deft at straddling the board's left and centrist flanks.
"I think you'll see Jane as a supervisor who will bridge divides," Chiu said.
Employee Free Choice Act
On May 6 and 7 2009, more than 1,000 workers across the state attended vigils in San Francisco, Sacramento, Fresno, Los Angeles and San Diego to highlight the urgency of passing the Employee Free Choice Act. They were joined by a diverse group of interfaith leaders, community allies, economists, academics and elected officials, who came out to express their support for workers’ rights and the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA).
Hundreds of Bay Area union members attended a 26-hour vigil at the Federal Building in San Francisco organized by the San Mateo County and San Francisco Labor Councils and California Labor Federation. The event was designed to call on Congress to pass the EFCA and urge Senator Dianne Feinstein to sign on as a co-sponsor.
Several elected officials spoke in support of the EFCA, including San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris, Assembly member Fiona Ma, San Francisco Board of Supervisors members Eric Mar and David Campos and Board President David Chiu.
Noted University of California-Berkeley economist Steven Pitts highlighted the economic necessity of the Employee Free Choice Act: “Academics and economists across the country agree that the Employee Free Choice Act is critical to rebuilding our economy and restoring the American Dream,” he said. He pointed out that if EFCA was passed and more workers were given the freedom to choose union representation in the workplace, the state’s economy would benefit from their increased spending power.
Support City College of San Francisco
Chinese for Affirmative Action (CAA), July 31, 2012.
Chinese for Affirmative Action joins several community leaders to support City College of San Francisco during these tough budget times for our public education system. Supervisors Eric Mar and David Chiu introduced a supportive resolution at 2pm today to the BOS. — with Alex T. Tom, Henry Der, Eric Mar, Vincent Pan, and David Chiu.
Phillip Burton Awards Committee
In 2013, the Honorary Phillip Burton Awards Committee, of the Immigrant Legal Resource Center, consisted of;
- Jeff Adachi, San Francisco Public Defender
- The Honorable David Campos, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable David Chiu, President of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- Carmen Chu, San Francisco Assessor-Recorder
- The Honorable Malia Cohen, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Anna Eshoo, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Mark Farrell, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Dianne Feinstein, US Senator for California
- The Honorable Barbara Lee, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Zoe Lofgren, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Eric Mar, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable George Miller, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Nancy Pelosi, Democratic Leader of the US House of Representatives
- The Honorable Jackie Speier, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Katy Tang, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Scott Wiener, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Norman Yee, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
CPA 40th anniversary
On August 4th 2012 to celebrate Chinese Progressive Association (San Francisco)'s 40th Anniversary. CPA was proud to honor the National Guestworkers Alliance and New Orleans Workers Center for Racial Justice, the Free MUNI for Youth Coalition, and Jobs with Justice San Francisco.
Rolland Lowe and Kathy Lowe • Grace Lee Boggs • Josue Arguelles • Supervisor John Avalos • Angelica Cabande • Supervisor David Campos • Mike Casey • Supervisor David Chiu • Antonio Diaz • Reverend Norman Fong • Conny Ford • Maria Guillen • Alicia Garza • Roger Kim • Supervisor Jane Kim • Helen Kim • Jee Kim • Mario Lugay • Supervisor Eric Mar • Gordon Mar • Alisa Messer • Luke Newton • Supervisor Christina Olague • Vincent Pan • Tim Paulson • Ai-jen Poo • Raquel Redondiez • Peggy Saika • Shiree Teng • Makani Themba-Nixon • Helena Wong • Miya Yoshitani
- http://www.modernluxury.com/san-francisco/story/rose-pak-winning-0, San Francisco magazine, Rose Pak is Winning. Chris Smith | Photo: Jim Hughes | November 26 2012]
- People's World: Occupy Oaklanders vigil for injured vet, Oct. 28, 2011 (accessed on Dec. 21, 2011)
- Labor Bay Area Workers Hold Vigils for Employee Free Choice Act Sending A Message to Dianne Feinstein: “The Time is Now.”
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center, 23rd Phillip Burton Immigration & Civil Rights Awards
- Chinese Progressive Association, Together We Move Mountains :: Celebrating Generations of Change