Communications Workers of America
Communications Workers of America, "the largest telecommunications union in the world, represents over 700,000 men and women in both private and public sectors, including over half a million workers who are building the Information Highway."
"CWA members work in telecommunications, broadcasting, cable TV, journalism, publishing, manufacturing, airlines, customer service, government service, health care, education and other fields."
Partner Organization of ProsperUS
Communications Workers of America is listed as a "Partner Organization" of ProsperUS, a coalition of leftist groups formed during the 2020 coronavirus pandemic to demand massive government spending, including Joe Biden's "Build Back Better" spending bill.,,
Executive Board - 2010:
- Chris Shelton, District 1, New York, NY
- Ron Collins, District 2, Bowie, MD
- Judy Dennis, District 3, Atlanta, GA
- Seth Rosen, District 4, Cleveland, OH
- Andy Milburn, District 6, Austin, TX
- Mary Taylor, District 7, Denver, CO
- Jim Weitkamp, District 9, Sacramento, CA
- Ed Mooney, District 13, Philadelphia, PA
Sector Vice-Presidents and Canadian Director
- Ralph V. Maly, Jr., Communications & Technologies
- Jimmy Gurganus, Telecommunications
- Brooks Sunkett, Public, Health Care and Education Workers
- William Boarman, Printing, Publishing and Media Workers Sector
- Jim Joyce, Broadcast and Cable Television Workers Sector
- Bernie Lunzer, The Newspaper Guild-CWA
- Jim Clark, IUE-CWA Industrial Division
- Pat Friend, Association of Flight Attendants-CWA
- Arnold Amber, Director, TNG-SCA Canada
Lui Cheng 2007 American tour
The American Center for International Labor Solidarity and the National Labor College recently hosted Professor Liu Cheng for Shanghai Normal University to discuss the evolution of the new draft contract labor law in China. Cheng’s visit to the NLC on March 27th was the culmination of a multi-state tour meeting with union leaders and members of Congress.
For the report by Global Labor Strategies analyzing the impact of transnational corporations on the first draft of the Contract Law go to: UNDUE INFLUENCE: Corporation Gain Ground in Battle Over Chinas New Labor Law
Liu Cheng's tour included nearly 45 events over 17 days, in the Bay Area, Boston, Amherst, New York and Washington DC. A partial list of the many sponsoring organizations, and their key contact, includes:
"Single - payer" movement
According to Michael Lighty, a former National Director of Democratic Socialists of America, and Director of Public Policy for the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee, writing in DSA's Democratic Left, Winter 2007/2008 .
- There’s a growing movement for single-payer universal healthcare. The movement is led by activists in Healthcare-Now!, doctors in the Physicians for a National Health Program, nurses in the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee, leaders in labor unions such as United Steelworkers of America and Communication Workers of America, activists in the Progressive Democrats of America, and Congressman John Conyers, with the support for HR 676 by 300 union locals, 75 Central Labor Councils, and 25 state Federations of Labor, and hundreds of clergy and faith-based organizations, as well as civil rights, women’s and healthcare advocacy groups in the Leadership Conference for Guaranteed Healthcare.
- The policy proposals developed by Beltway think tanks and the principles for reform adopted by the AFL-CIO confer support for single-payer while allowing for private insurance-based approaches as well. Other bills in Congress, notably sponsored by Ted Kennedy and John Dingell and “Americare” introduced by Pete Stark, seek to incrementally establish a single-payer system.
- About CWA Communications Workers of America, 2010
- About (accessed November 21, 2021)
- ProsperUS Praises House Passage of Build Back Better Bill, Calls for Speedy Senate Passage, No Additional Cuts (accessed November 21, 2021)
- ProsperUS Urges Swift Passage of Build Back Better Act (accessed November 21, 2021)
- ProsperUS Coalition: Historic Build Back Better Deal Clear Rejection of Trickle-Down Economics, Big Win for Workers, Families, and Economy (accessed November 21, 2021)
- Executive Board Communications Workers of America, 2010
- Dem. Left, Winter 2007/8