Chris Kutalik Cauthern
Chris Kutalik Cauthern is a San Antonio activist. He is a Texas-based journalist and game designer who writes on union and workplace issues. He is currently a community director for the hotel and hospitality workers union UNITE HERE in South Texas. Until 2009, Kutalik was the managing editor of Labor Notes, the largest circulation cross-union national publication remaining in the United States. He has served as an editor and writer for several independent media publications. Before joining Labor Notes' staff, Kutalik had been a local union officer for Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1549 in Austin, Texas and a copy editor at the online news service Stratfor.
His writing has also appeared in the print and online versions of the Detroit News, Metro Times, Z Magazine, CounterPunch, Monthly Review, Against the Current, Canadian Dimension, and in numerous union publications. Kutalik has appeared as a guest reporter on Democracy Now!.
Kutalik collaborated in the writing and editing of A Troublemakers' Handbook 2.
Eric Blanc May 2 2019·
Had a great May Day with Austin DSA. After a big forum on the teachers' revolt (co-sponsored by Education Austin), we went to the state capitol to protest the Republicans' attempts to prevent Texas cities from passing progressive legislation. I'll be back in Austin this weekend for more hang out time with all these lovely comrades... — with Chance Walker, Marcus Denton, Chris Kutalik Cauthern, Tan-dra Louie, Chau Lan Ngo and David Pinkham.
- Over fifty people attended the DSA Forum held at the Kulick Community Center in Ferndale on Sunday, June 4th. The subject of the forum was “Democrats and Socialists: Building the Alternative.” The speakers were DSA steering committee member and Wayne State University Distinguished Professor Ronald Aronson, Michigan Democratic Party Chairman Mark Brewer, and Labor Notes editor Chris Kutalik.
- Ron Aronson argued that in building an alternative to the dominant neo-liberal ideology, the Democratic Party must once again “become friendly” with many of the basic tenants of socialism—particularly those dealing with social provision (e.g., Social Security, national health insurance, public education). Mark Brewer argued that in order to avoid even more egregious setbacks for poor and working people, it is essential for socialists and Democrats to work together in the electoral arena. Chris Kutalik cited examples of direct worker actions on the job as a means of challenging capitalist hegemony and suggested that this may be preferable to participation electoral politics. A lively discussion followed.
August 24th Our Revolution Organizing Kickoff
- On August 24th, 2016, we'll launch Our Revolution with a big Organizing Kickoff to get to work fighting for the political revolution—through November and beyond. Bernie will speak via livestream at 9 ET / 6 PT and lay out the path forward for our movement. We recommend arriving at least 30 minutes before the livestream starts.
HOST:Chris Kutalik Cauthern.
Central Coordinating Committee
San Antonio Progressive Alliance April 5, 2017:
Most of the newly elected Central Coordinating Committee: (l to r) Phillip Flagg, Chris Kutalik Cauthern, David Katakalos, Milton Fagan, David Van Os, Stephen Lucke, Liz Solis, Carol Fisher, Paul Ingmundson, Robert Feria (not shown: Judith Cashin Lerma, Gilbert Martinez, Alfonso Lozoya) at Brick at Blue Star Arts Complex.
Chris Kutalik Cauthern shared an event to San Antonio DSA's Timeline.
February 7 ·
- Most of you have probably heard about this but the San Antonio Progressive Alliance (in which a number of local DSA members are leaders) is having a large launch event tomorrow night for its left city council candidate slate and platform.
In April 2017 Chris Kutalik Cauthern was a member of San Antonio Democratic Socialists of America's closed Facebook group.
January 15, 2017;
Rick Trevino's Team RickFor6 meeting Saturday morning at Sabinas Coffee House on West Commerce St. — with Zachary Rubiola, Chris Kutalik Cauthern, Louis A. Cintron, Jr., Rick Trevino, Joleen Garcia, Jennifer Longoria, Lisa Ramos, Edward L. Cuevas, Jr., Ananda Sunshine Tomas and Mauricio Gomez at Sabinas Coffee House.
Our Revolution statewide
- From Our Revolution Texas Statewide Coordinator Chris Kutalik Cauthern:
- Happy Fourth! Our Revolution - Texas is a statewide progressive populist organization formed in the wake of the Bernie Sanders campaign and dedicated to making the political revolution a long-haul reality in our state. In six months we covered the state in regional committees—but we are just getting started.
- This summer we are revving up our organizing and our movement. Over the next two months our state and local groups are launching actions, town halls, marches, informational meetings, and more as part of Our Revolution's nationally-coordinated Summer for Progress. Two important events are happening this week alone—and plenty more coming down the pike!
- In Austin Thursday July 6th, 12-1 pm Our Revolution - Texas and OR Central Texas are joining DSA, ADAPT, Left Up to US and more groups for an action at John Cornyn's office against Trumpcare. The action is part of a nationwide series of peaceful protest and civil disobedience at GOP senators' offices. Please come out, make some noise and RSVP here.
- This Saturday July 10th, 10am-2pm in Houston, Our Revolution Gulf Coast, Houston Area Progressives, and Houston DSA are holding a Townhall and Health Fair for Medicare for All. Please join us for this important meeting and reserve your seat here.
- In Solidarity,
- Chris Kutalik Cauthern,
- Our Revolution - Texas Statewide Coordinator
Texas DSA - Red State Rising
Left Up To US Closed Facebook group
Socialist Majority Caucus
-  DSA Forum Sparks Controversy, Michigan DSA Newsletter, June 2006
- [https://www.Facebook.com/notes/austin-dsa/support-danny-fetonte-for-npc/1917815435143506/Support Danny Fetonte for NPC AUSTIN DSA·SUNDAY, JULY 23, 2017]