Caitlin Elly Breedlove is a Queer, 2nd generation Eastern European immigrant who has been in the South her whole adult life. She has been the Co-Director of Southerners On New Ground since 2006. Previous to her time with SONG, Caitlin spent three years as the Coordinator of the Intern Program at the Historic Highlander Research and Education Center in Tennessee. She is a former funding panel member at the Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice, and contributes regularly as a blogger for HuffPost Gay Voices. Caitlin’s current organizing passions are intersectional campaign building and new organizer leadership development. She lived in North Carolina.
Caitlin Breedlove joined Auburn Theological Seminary in March 2017 as the vice president of movement leadership. Since 2003, Caitlin has been organizing and building movements in red states: working across race, class, culture, gender, sexuality and faith. Caitlin is known across social justice movements as a leader, strategist, and writer. She is the former Campaign Director of Standing on the Side of Love at the Unitarian Universalist Association where she served as a bridge between grassroots social movements and the denomination. She is also the former Co-Director of Southerners On New Ground (SONG), where for almost a decade she co-led innovative intersectional movement building work in the LGBTQ sector. Under Caitlin’s co-leadership, SONG led campaigns, trained hundreds of new LGBTQ organizers in the South, built a membership of over 3,000, and became the largest grassroots LGBTQ organization in the South. . She is the host of the podcast ‘Fortification‘, which interviews movement leaders and organizers about their spiritual lives. She currently lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
National Day Laborer Organizing Network December 10, 2013
Barack Obama, YES YOU CAN Stop Deportations OR We Will #ShutDownICE!!!
ASPIRE - Asian Students Promoting Immigrant Rights through Education, California Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance, Congress of Day Laborers/Congreso de Jornaleros... See More — with Jason Wallach, Leilani Clark, Aru Apaza, Neidi Dominguez, Raul Adair Ochoa, Jovana Renteria, Carlos Garcia, Sandra C. Solis, Natally C. Ireta, Alessandro Negrete, Ade Nicholls, Caitlin Breedlove, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Tomas Martinez LA Voz, Reyna Njr, Xanat Sobrevilla, Torres Jorge, Walt Emrys Staton, Rosi Carrasco and Yaxal Nabil Sobrevilla.
Marisa Franco, November 21, 2013;
Alexis Murphy June 2013;
With Probably Lyles, Jazz Franklin, Jadebroo KS, Mara B. Collins, Jess St. Louis, C. Saenz Becerra, Alexander Hollinghead, Pat Hussain, Jess Jude, Vanessa Faraj, Lucia Leandro Gimeno, Taryn Danielle, Kai Barrow, Gracie Aghapour, Aaron Kemmerer, Suzanne Pharr, Miguel Maria Caritu, Salem Abraham Acuna, Caitlin Breedlove, Hermelinda Cortes, Kate Shaps, Pressley Matt, Holly Hardin, Paulina Hernandez, Ashe Helm-Hernandez, Mary Hooks, Stephanie Guilloud and Laila Nur.
National Day Laborer Organizing Network January 31, 2014.
For those who get Al Jazeera America, special 30 minute feature on the #Not1More campaign debuts tonight!
Look out for familiar faces from Congress of Day Laborers/Congreso de Jornaleros , GLAHR, Southerners on New Ground, and Project South. — with Elizabeth Gorman Shaw, Ponciano Ugalde, Marisa Franco, Tomas Martinez LA Voz, Sandra C. Solis, Carlos Garcia, Caitlin Breedlove, Reyna Njr, Ade Nicholls, Jacinta Gonzalez G., Paul Boulos, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Stephanie Guilloud, Cesar Maxit, Josh Rushing and Sharon Lungo.
Mary Hooks birthday
Kate Shaps January 19, 2014 ·
Last weds High on a mountaintop Mary Hooks welcomed in her 32 trip around the sun. We love u!!! We love walking this path w you. 2014 is y/ours, take it! And like u and yr cake say: Turn Up!! #32LooksGoooodOnYou #TurningItALLTheWayUp — with Mary Hooks, Serena Sebring, Salem Abraham Acuna, Jazz Franklin, Suzanne Pharr, Caitlin Breedlove, Probably Lyles, Hermelinda Cortes and Paulina Helm-Hernandez.
Roberto Gutierrez April 5, 2014;
Southern Workers Assembly
Larsene Taylor, May 1, 2014
- Paulina Helm-Hernandez - Co-Director
- Caitlin Breedlove - - Co-Director
- Kate Shapiro - Membership Coordinator
- Mary Hooks - Regional Campaign Coordinator
- Hermelinda Cortes - Communications Coordinator
- Serena Sebring - Campaign Organizer
- Salem Acuna - Regional Organizer
- Elias Lyles - Fundraising Coordinator
- Asa King - Staff Attorney
- Roberto Tijerina - Deputy Director
Mab Segrest, April 18, 2017.
This photo is from my 60th birthday party at Steph's house in Atlanta with SONG cofounders including Cherry and the then-current directors Paulina and Caitlin. Joan Garner is on the right in vibrant red and my then-new love Annie Ellman on the sofa. I have been honored and blessed to be friends over the years with these brave and wonderful people. Joan we already miss you so much. — with Pat Hussain, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Mandy Carter, Suzanne Pharr, Mab Segrest, Annie Ellman, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Stephanie Guilloud, Pamela Jean McMichael and Cherry Hussain.
"Towards Collective Liberation" followers
Melanie Cervantes, follow · March 11, 2013;
- From author Chris Crass: " When I first imagined a poster promoting my new book, Towards Collective Liberation: anti-racist organizing, feminist praxis,and movement building strategy, the images that came to mind were the people in Melanie Cervantes’ “We are the 99%” posters, coming together to build the multiracial, feminist, working class-based movement for collective liberation that we need. M... See More — with Carla F. Wallace, Mari Mujica, Steve Williams, Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha, Ingrid Chapman, Dawn Haney, James Haslam, Cindy Wiesner, Marquez Rhyne, Jayanni Elizabeth, Malachi Garza, Miguel CarItu, Chris Crass, Carl Patrick, Abbey Lolcano, Maria Poblet, Kate Cardona, Z. Lula Haukeness, Lydia Pelot-Hobbs, Elandria Williams, Harsha Walia, Marc Mascarenhas-Swan, Jason Lydon, Jardana Peacock, Chris Dixon, Gabriel Haaland, Betty-Jeanne Ruters-Ward, Mel Baiser, Nisha Anand, Mimi Thi Nguyen, Becki Winchel, T. Gonzales, Rahula S. Janowski, Dani Burlison, Harjit Singh Gill, Leah Jo Carnine, Karly Safar, Emily Han Zimmerman, Alicia Garza, Sistufara W. Muhammad, Pamela Jean McMichael, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Kate Kanelstein, Mei-ying Williams, James Tracy, Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson, Shannon Garth-Rhodes and Cindy Jeanne.
Friends of Kriti Sharma
Kriti Sharma wrote "Interdependence: Biology and Beyond". She credited several people with "shaping my mind and life" through the process, including Afiya Carter, Aiden Graham, AJ Vrieze, Alexis Gumbs, Atiya Hussain, Beth Bruch, Bryan Proffitt, Caitlin Breedlove, Dannette Sharpley, Emily Chavez, Glenys Verhulst, Jenn Vrieze, Jurina Vincent-Lee, Keagha Carscallen, Laurin Penland, Kai Barrow, Lynne Walter, Marjorie Scheer, Michelle O'Brien, Manju Rajendran, Sendolo Diaminah, Mikel Barton, Monica Leonardo, Nia Wilson, Nikki Brown, Noah Blose, Paulina Hernandez, Pavithra Vasudevan, Rachael Derello, Russell Herman, Sam Hummel, Sammy Truong, Serena Sebring, Shirlette Ammons, Tema Okun, Theo Luebke, Tim Stallman, Tony Macias, and Yolanda Carrington.
"The Queer Left: Strategies Moving Forward"
Mahnani Clay February 8, 2015;
Malachi Garza, I really appreciated your perspective on the realities of revolutionary change the "The Queer Left: Strategies Moving Forward" panel yesterday at Creating Change. #CC15 — with Malachi Garza, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Roscoe Mapps and Laura Thomas at Sheraton Denver Downtown.
Supporting the Kurds
December 28, 2015, Sendolo Diaminah posted on his FaceBook page supporting the Kurds;
- The Kurdish people have been engaged in an inspiring struggle to carve out freedom and autonomy for themselves, both from the corrupt states of Turkey, Iraq, and Syria AND from ISIS. Now the Turkish government is ramping up its repression of the Kurdish freedom movement. The first step in solidarity must be educating ourselves about this powerful struggle for freedom and rallying to its defense. Anthony Maglione, Manzoor Cheema, Hiram Rivera Marcano, Bryan Proffitt, Aaron Bryant, Thomas Wayne Walker, Jadebroo KS, Hashim Benford, Melissa Norton, Sijal Nasralla, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Gary Broderick, Aiden Riley Graham, Rufus Firefly, Zaina Alsous, Laila Nur, Sabeen Shaiq, Theo Luebke, Caitlin Breedlove...
“Free From Fear”
- January 17, 2015
- Durham, NC – On Saturday, January 17 at 5:00pm, Southerners on New Ground (SONG) will host a launch event announcing the “Free From Fear” campaign, at The Pinhook (117 W Main St, Durham, North Carolina 27701). Free From Fear seeks to pass an ordinance to prevent discriminatory policing and police profiling of LGBTQ people and people of color, and to address the harmful effects of these patterns on the local community. The campaign’s central goal is the passage of a local anti-profiling ordinance, “The Durham Community Safety Act,” which would ban police profiling and discrimination based on race, immigration status, gender, gender identity and sexual orientation. Southerners on New Ground is a regional LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, + queer) organization made up of people of color, immigrants, undocumented people, people with disabilities, working class and rural and small town people in the South.
The event was free and open to the public, and featured a program of live music by local musicians, and speakers: Caitlin Breedlove (SONG, Co-Director), Serena Sebring (SONG, Campaign Organizer), Jade Brooks (SONG, Member Leader), Sendolo Diaminah (Durham Public Schools Board Member), among others.
Nora Rasman, September 18 2016, ·
- at highlander | something close to a full moon | with the foremost sanctified blues band | on the day of your 32nd rotation around the sun 😎✌🏼️✨ #ReviveLove #FortifyTheMvmt — with Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Lena K. Gardner, Jay-Marie Hill, Osagyefo Sekou and Rob Coleman at Highlander Research and Education Center.
Revive Love tour
- the #ReviveLove tour starts in a week w/a sneak peak at Highlander Center this weekend!!! whether or not you can join us, chk it out and make a donation to make it happen here: http://www.faithify.org/projects/revive-love-tour/ <3 — with Hermelinda Cortes, Jay-Marie Hill, Sara Green, India Danielle, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Lena K. Gardner, Mary Hooks, Chris Buice, Osagyefo Sekou, Leslie Mac, Kate Shaps, Cel Living, Lsa Piercy, De Vandiver, Julie Taylor, Ruth S. Idakula and Probably Lyles.
Marisa Franco, November 8, 2016 near Phoenix, AZ. ·
- baztaarpaio — with B. Loewe, Tania Unzueta, Carlos Garcia, Bob LaVenture, Neidi Dominguez, Lucia Raíz, Maria Castro, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Ken Chapman, Francisco Luna, Nora Rasman and Randy Parraz.
Bazta Arpaio October 21, 2016;
Day 1 of this POWERFUL weekend! People from across the country started to arriving to join this historic moment in Arizona, we the people are saying #BaztaArpaio. Join us tomorrow for the LARGEST CANVASS EVER AGAINST ARPAIO!
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Eddy Morales October 11, 2017 ·
Going home for three hours. What a great trip to Phoenix! Got to spend time with some of the best organizers, friends, and family. Excited about the possibilities! This is David Garcia and he is running for Governor of Arizona! — traveling to PDX with Lew Granofsky, Brendan Walsh, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Tomas E. Robles, Jr., Marisa Franco, Marco Garcia, Judy Davila, John Loredo, Ian Danley, Roy Herrera and Sarah Michelsen from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
Durham for All
Sendolo Diaminah with Natalie Beyer and 13 others, Felicia Arriaga, Mikel Barton, Nadeen Bir, Leigh Bordley, Theo Luebke, Roxana Bendezu, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Millie Beth, Laurel Ashton, Beth Bruch, Le'Andre Demond Blakeney, Dasan Ahanu, Tony Marimbondo Macias.
August 12, 2017.
- [Interdependence: Biology and Beyond By Kriti Sharma Acknowledgements page]
- Press release Free From Fear Durham Press Release January 17, 2015
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109