Brad Watkins is a native Memphian and has been active in the community throughout his life, culminating in his involvement in the 2004 presidential campaign for Howard Dean. This in turn led to his efforts to turn the local Democratic party back toward its progressive base; from 2005 to 2006 he sat on the Executive Committee of the Shelby County Democratic Party. He was a long-time volunteer with the Mid-South Peace and Justice Center when he worked on the Memphis Living Wage Campaign, the Coalition Against Private Prisons and the campaign to end the war in Iraq. Watkins is now convinced that true positive social change can only come from the community itself and that the progressive movement must be committed to the task of organizing with those who are directly affected by injustice. In 2008 Watkins was accepted into the D.C.-based Center for Community Change's GenChange program as a fellow and oversaw CCC and MSPJC GOTV efforts in four low-income, low voter turnout communities of color in the 2008 local elections. Watkins joined the staff of the Mid-South Peace and Justice Center in December of 2008 and since then has overseen the Center's programs and campaign efforts on homelessness, blight, foreclosure, the Neighborhood Alliance, criminal justice reform and electoral organizing. He became Executive Director in 2014.
Rebuild the Dream Press Conference
Rebuild the Dream Press Conference in Memphis, TN on September 1, 2011. Brief speeches were made by Representative Steve Cohen, Martavius Hampton, Cody Mathis, and Brad Watkins of the Mid-South Peace and Justice Center.
Transportation Task Force
Posted on March 22, 2012 by Beth, on Youtube, the formation of the Memphis Bus Riders Union was explained by Transportation Task Force and Memphis Bus Riders Union member Brad Watkins and Memphis Socialist Party Chair and TTF member Michele Nyberg.
Memphis DSA public Facebook group
Memphis Socialist Party USA member Schaeffer Mallory described Stan Polson, Bennett Foster, Brad Watkins, Paul Garner and Brooke Shannon and Ace Madjlesi as "comrades" in an April 14, 2016 Facebook post.
Nour Hantouli March 27, 2016 ·
Just stumbled across this from La Prensa Latina. Prayer Vigil for the victims of slumlords from Global Ministries Foundation here in Memphis. Vigilia y oración por justicia de vivienda en la Fundación Global de Ministros, 19 de febrero. See Translation — with Ceylon Mooney, Paul Garner, Brad Watkins and Stan Polson.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Mid-South Peace & Justice Center’s 35th anniversary
"Our goal is to guarantee that Donald Trump will not be able to govern comfortably. ... If you think you've been to a lot of demonstrations in the past, well, multiply that by a hundred. Or a thousand over the next period," she said, and the audience cheered.
Earlier, she said Trump embodied the worst elements of oppression and capitalism. "He represents precisely those forces of capitalism that have impoverished so many of the people who decided to vote for him, because they feared for their future."
"Sometimes I feel really nostalgic about that era because it meant we were connected with people all over the world, because there were communist parties all over the world," she said. "And so we felt as if we were a part of a global struggle. The Cuban revolution was our victory. And we don't have that now."
The organizer of the event, the Mid-South Peace and Justice Center, billed the annual fundraising banquet as a kickoff to long years of struggle against Trump's policies. In an email before the event, the staff wrote, "We will, with every resource at our disposal, stand against an agenda that denies the dignity and humanity of people of color, undocumented families, women, people with disabilities, and those of the Muslim faith. These values are non-negotiable."
Banquet attendees filled not just the seats at the round dinner tables but the church balcony, and some stood in the back. The event was attended by some Memphis elected officials including Shelby County Commissioner Eddie Jones as well as state Sen. Lee Harris and U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen.
Memphis Socialist Party - Members Only Facebook group
Socialist Party USA - Members Only Closed FB Group
Brad Watkins October 24, 2016:
The entire squad...headed for the playoffs. — with K-mo Kyamran Mohammad, Michael Krause, Paul Garner, Bennett Foster, Tamara Hendrix, Brooke Sarden, Elle Hearns, Zandria F. Robinson, Gio Lopez, Veronica Virgen, Ashley Caldwell, Justin A. Davis and Cynthia Bailey.
34th Anniversary of the Mid-South Peace and Justice Center.
- [ http://midsouthpeace.org/about-us/staff-and-boardMSPJC Staff and Board Our Staff]
- Youtube, Rebuild the Dream, Memphis, TN - Sep. 1, 2011.mp4 Mid-South Peace and Justice Center
- [https://theredrecord.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/a-brief-history/ The Red Record, A brief history of the Transportation Task Force Posted on March 22, 2012]
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109
- AppealAngela Davis attacks capitalism, Trump Daniel Connolly , USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 5:09 p.m. CT Jan. 14, 2017