- Studied English at University of Maryland
- Studied English at Harford Community College
- Went to C. Milton Wright Senior High
May Day arrests
In 2017 Baltimore police officers arrested four May Day protesters, including noted activist Rev. Cortly Witherspoon, after a group unfurled a yellow sign on Gay Street, outside the United States Customs House downtown, and sat down in the street.
The sign's message:
1. City Jobs Program 2. $15 An Hour Now 3. Abolish ICE & Permanent Residency for Immigrants 4. End Police Terror
The rally, which included about 60 protesters, was organized by the Women's Fightback Network Maryland/D.C., Peoples Power Assembly, and Workers World Party-Baltimore and was part of a larger wave of pro-labor, anti-Trump protests around the world, started in McKeldin Square around 3 p.m. and moved through the downtown area.
Stopping at Baltimore's Customs House was tied to one of the central points of the "Baltimore May Day Global Strike" to "defend immigrants and Muslims."
"ICE is the notorious agency that has brutally separated immigrant families and deported scores of immigrants under new orders from the Trump administration," said Sharon Black, People's Power Assembly spokesperson, in a released statement
Protesters initially stood in the street around the sign on Gay Street, blocking traffic, and police warned that anyone who didn't want to be arrested should move to the sidewalk. Most did, but four people, including Witherspoon, continued to sit on the pavement with the sign and were arrested. People's Power Assembly identified the other three as Rasika Ruwanpathirana, Andrew Mayton, and Alec Summerfield. When the arrestees were placed in the police van, they were recorded by another police officer.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those indicating interest in attending, on Facebook included Andrew Mayton.