- 1 Education
- 2 Career
- 3 Political start
- 4 Congress
- 5 Planned Parenthood
- 6 21st Century Democrats support
- 7 NOI connection
- 8 Terrorist donation
- 9 Muslim support
- 10 ISNA speaker
- 11 National Muslim Democratic Council
- 12 ACORN supporter
- 13 SEIU support
- 14 Indiana Change that Works rally
- 15 Congressional Progressive Caucus
- 16 Congressional Black Caucus
- 17 Communist Party health campaign
- 18 Wilson Allen connection
- 19 Wilson Allen donation
- 20 Meeting with SOAR
- 21 Socialist staffer
- 22 Supported Lifting the Gaza Blockade
- 23 DSA support
- 24 Medicare for All Act
- 25 Sarsour connection
- 26 International Year for People of African Descent
- 27 Indiana ARA
- 28 ARA endorsement, 2014
- 29 "America needs Muslims"
- 30 Center for Interfaith Cooperation
- 31 Jobs with Justice
- 32 PDA contact
- 33 Pro-North Korea connection
- 34 2014 Muslim American Society convention
- 35 CAIR connection
- 36 Intelligence Committee
- 37 Meeting with Hassan Rouhani
- 38 Iran deal/Iranian money
- 39 New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- 40 Ferguson
- 41 Condemning Criticism of Islam legislation
- 42 Endorsed CAIR, 2016
- 43 Women's March
- 44 Intelligence scandal
- 45 Letter on Iran sanctions
- 46 Congressional Intern
- 47 SAALT Congressional Briefing on Hate Violence
- 48 Medicare For All Congressional Caucus founders
- 49 Staff
- 50 External links
- 51 References
Congressman Carson is married to Mariama Carson, an award winning professional educator in the Pike Township School District.
Congressman Carson is a graduate of Arsenal Technical High School, where his passions for law enforcement and public service first took hold. He's earned a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice Management from Concordia University-Wisconsin and a Masters in Business Management from Indiana Wesleyan University.
Before his career as an elected official, Carson devoted himself to law enforcement and protecting Hoosiers across the state. He first served as a Local Board Investigative Officer for the Indiana State Excise Police for nine years covering 22 counties before being detailed to the Indiana Department of Homeland Security's Intelligence Fusion Center in 2006 where he worked in an anti-terrorism unit to protect Indiana and the United States from terrorist threats at home and abroad.
Congressman Carson got his political start serving on the Indianapolis City-County Council, where he worked to improve schools, support local businesses, and promote prosperous neighborhoods for families across Indianapolis. He also served as a board member of the Citizens Neighborhood Coalition and the Indianapolis Parks Kennedy-King Park Advisory Board, where he turned his attention to the development of safe parks and thriving community organizations.
First elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in early 2008 as part of a special election, Congressman André Carson was voted in to his first full term in Congress in November of 2008 and reelected again in 2010.
Congressman Carson serves on the prestigious Financial Services Committee, which oversees all components of the nation's housing and financial services sectors including banking, insurance, real estate, public and assisted housing, and securities. In this role, Carson has worked to tighten federal regulations over financial institutions, helping to pass Wall Street Reform, which ends government bailouts and the risky lending practices that almost destroyed our economy.
He helped pass the historic health care reform law, which provides families and businesses with more health insurance options and makes health care more affordable and accessible for tens-of-millions of Americans. Carson has put Hoosier children first by helping to pass critical legislation that protected thousands of teaching jobs, and he's put his past law enforcement experience to work to make our neighborhoods safer by strengthening the federal COPS program that put an additional 50 police officers on patrol in Indianapolis neighborhoods.
Carson received $1000 in lobbying funds from Planned Parenthood in 2008.
21st Century Democrats support
21st Century Democrats is a Political Action Committee that has stood for Progressive causes for over 20 years. Founded in 1986 by Institute for Policy Studies affiliate, Iowa Senator Tom Harkin, Democratic Socialists of America affiliates, former Texas Agriculture Secretary Jim Hightower, and former Illinois Congressman Lane Evans. Its three main goals are to help elect progressive candidates, train young people about grassroots organizing, and lastly, to continue to support our elected officials after Election Day "through our comprehensive progressive network".
The mission of 21st Century Democrats is to build a "farm team" of progressive populists who will be the future leaders of the Democratic Party.
- In each election cycle, we endorse a diverse array of candidates who exemplify our values and show unusual promise to advance our progressive goals. We invest in some of the most competitive races as well as in some of the most challenging – those in which the candidates are outstanding but the traditional Democratic supporters are most reticent. We back candidates in primaries as well as general election races, and we focus the bulk of our resources on electing challengers and protecting vulnerable incumbents.
Andre Carson's grandmother Julia Carson had a friendly relationship with Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan throughout Andre's childhood. In fact, Julia and Louis went "way back" according to a 2008 Indianapolis Star report. Andre's wife stated that Farrakhan was with Julia the night her grandson was born in 1974. The anti-Semitic Nation of Islam leader who called white people "devils" told mourners at her funeral in 2007 "I was with her in her discipleship."
Farrakhan's presence in the grandmother's life came to a head during her eulogy (on video) when the minister endorsed Andre's bid for the dead woman's congressional seat. "She lives in Andre," he said "she wants him to succeed her."
In March 2008 Andre Carson, sworn in Wednesday as the second Muslim to be elected to the U.S. House of Representatives, made news when he returned a $1,000 donation from a Muslim who was investigated in 2002 on terrorism charges.
According to one report:
"The donation, made at a Feb. 8 fundraiser, came from M. Yaqub Mirza, CEO of Sterling Management in Herndon, Va. Until it dissolved in 2000, Mirza was an officer with the Saar Foundation, which became one of several Muslim nonprofits in Northern Virginia to fall under scrutiny in a 2002 federal terrorism-financing investigation..." 
A spokesman for his Republican rival, John Elrod, commented that, "Carson's decision to accept the money to begin with shows poor judgment from a person who touted his work in a state counterterrorism unit as part of the experience that qualifies him for Congress."
In 2008 CAIR joined with other Islamists to raise funds for Carson, and Ellison co-sponsored one of those fundraisers with the terror friendly group.
- "Dozens of Muslims flocked into a small town house on Capitol Hill to take a big step, last week. Their goal, to raise funds needed to elect Andre Carson of Indianapolis, IN as the second Muslim to the halls of Congress. The Carson for Congress fundraiser was held last Wednesday night, February 6th doors from the national headquarters of the Muslim civil rights organization, CAIR.
Less than two years ago, Assad Aktar, an aide for a New Jersey Congressman and organizer of the Carson event, helped to pull together a similar fundraiser for a then-little known State Representative from Minnesota named Keith Ellison...Congressman Ellison, perhaps not by coincidence, co-hosted the Carson fundraiser, along with Saqib Ali, the first Muslim elected to the Maryland House of Delegates...A crowd of 50 of the top Muslim leaders in the area responded to brother Assad's invitation including Imam Yusef Salim of Masjid Muhammad; Nihad Awad and Corey Saylor of CAIR; Omar Karim, a local land developer; Khalil Munier a senior congressional staffer, and Rizwan Jaka of ADAMS Center."
Imam Johari Abdul Malik of Dar Al Hijrah, one of the area's top fundraisers rallied the crowd to support brother Andre. The call was answered with several individuals giving large contributions of $1000 and upwards.
Jameel Johnson, President of the Prince George's Muslim Council and a lobbyist for a Wall Street firm also attended. Johnson, who co-hosted the fundraiser for Congressman Ellison, remarked "this is the second [congressional elections] cycle in a row that the Muslims have had a solid candidate of their own running for Congress that they could ray behind.
Also raising funds for Carson was Johari Abdul Malik of the Dar Al Hijrah mosque, which was named as the most dangerous mosque in America by Paul Sperry in his book "Infiltration" and is located in what he calls DC's 'Wahhabi Corridor.' Dar Al Hijrah has given aid and support to terrorists and is linked to the 9/11 hijackers.
The nature of those bankrolling Carson's candidacy along with his presence as a regular congregant at the Nur-Allah Islamic Center indicate that despite his claimed moderation, he is a stealth Islamist.
From the Islamic Center's website:
"The Mosque Cares" is an organization founded by Warith Deen Mohammed, a former leader of the Nation of Islam. "The Mosque Cares" often works together with other Islamist groups in the United States such as the Muslim Alliance in North America [MANA] and the Islamic Society of North America [ISNA, also an unindicted co-conspirator in the HLF prosecution].
MANA recently gave W.D. Mohammed "its first 'Lifetime Achievement Award.' The fact is that historically, he led the largest "mass conversion" of Muslims in the United States, when he sheparded his followers from the Nation of Islam doctrine to following the Quran and Sunnah specifically." 
The amir of MANA, is Siraj Wahhaj [see, http://www.mana-net.org/pages.php?ID=&NUM=164], a party named by U.S. prosecutor Mary Jo White as an unindicted co conspirator in the 1993 WTC bombings.
Despite Mr. Carson's assertions that he is an "orthodox, universal secular Muslim," a term which seems crafted to reject Islamism, the fact that he has chosen to partner with groups like CAIR and extremists like Ellison suggests otherwise, that Carson is instead, playing a game of intentional deception.
Carson's continued presence in Congress - where it appears that he will follow in Keith Ellison's footsteps - is therefore a matter of grave concern and further evidence that the stealth jihad has now spilled into the very halls of Congress.
Response to accusations regarding American Muslim spies
In October 2009, John Conyers responded to allegations from four Republican Congress Members, in the wake of the launch of the book Muslim Mafia, that the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) sought to plant Muslim "spies" in Capitol Hill. He strongly opposed the accusations, saying:
- “ It shouldn't need to be said in 2009, and after the historic election of our first African-American president, but let me remind all my colleagues that patriotic Americans of all races, religions, and beliefs have the right – and the responsibility – to participate in our political process, including by volunteering to work in Congressional offices. Numerous Muslim-American interns have served the House ably and they deserve our appreciation and respect, not attacks on their character or patriotism.
In 2010 André Carson was listed as a speaker for the Islamic Society of North America.
National Muslim Democratic Council
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi headlined a Democratic Party fundraiser with leaders of Hamas and Muslim Brotherhood front groups in May of 2012.
The invitation-only fundraiser was sponsored by Reps. Keith Ellison, D-Minn.; Andre Carson, D-Ind.; and Steve Israel, D-N.Y., chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, and took place on the evening of May 16, 2012, at the W Hotel in Washington D.C.
In attendance were about 20 members of a Syrian dissident group and 10 officials representing Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas front groups. Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) Executive Director Nihad Awad was perhaps the most prominent attendee and played a key role in organizing the event.
CAIR, an unindicted co-conspirator in the 2007-2008 Holy Land Foundation Hamas money-laundering trials, was described in FBI testimony as having been created by Hamas. In a 2007 federal court filing, prosecutors described CAIR as conspiring with other branches of the Muslim Brotherhood to support terrorists.
The FBI officially severed relations with CAIR in 2008 because of its ties to Hamas.
Awad has openly championed Hamas and defended suicide bombings as "legitimate resistance."
Also in attendance was Jamal Barzinji, a founding father of the Muslim Brotherhood in America and co-founder of the Muslim Student Association (MSA), an incubator for Islamic radicalism in North America. MSA was the forerunner of Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA), Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and the International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT).
Barzinji was named in a federal affidavit as being closely associated with Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Hamas. His name appears in a global phone book of Muslim Brotherhood members recovered by Italian and Swiss authorities in Nov. 2001 from the home of Al-Taqwa Bank of Lugano founder Youssef Nada, one of the leaders of the international Muslim Brotherhood.
During the fundraiser, Pelosi sat at the same table with Awad and Barzinji.
Speaking to the attendees in her 10-minute address, she said the Democratic Party should become the natural home of Muslim-Americans, because Republicans fan the flames of "Islamophobia." She focused exclusively on Islamophobia, a term devised by radical Islamists and their apologists to silence critics, while avoiding any mention of terrorism carried out by Islamists in the United States.
Also speaking were Israel, Ellison, Carson, and Reps Allyson Schwartz, D-Pa., and Chris Murphy, D-Conn. Israel and Murphy were said to have been the most vehement among the members of Congress in attendance in terms of their incendiary accusations of Republican-incited Islamophobia. One observer said that it was striking that "there was not a scintilla of comments in defense of U.S. national security." However, they welcomed each of the Hamas and Muslim Brotherhood front groups represented at the event into the "Democratic community" without any mention of their well-documented terror links.
Following the speeches, a prominent attorney, Mazen Asbahi publicly rose to announce the creation of a new organization called the National Muslim Democratic Council (NMDC). Asbahi was Barack Obama's 2008 Muslim outreach director but was forced to step down when his prior association with a radical Muslim cleric, Jamal Said, became public. Said was an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land Foundation terrorism financing trial.
The NMDC seeks to "maximize American Muslim support for Democratic candidates and policies."
May 14, 2008 Congressman André Carson released the following statement on Home Foreclosures and the ACORN Foreclosure Prevention Fair:
“In response to this situation, I have co-sponsored and supported several pieces of legislation targeted specifically at reducing the number of home foreclosures and helping citizens stay in their homes.”
I will continue fighting in Congress to bring an end to this housing crisis and to help the citizens of Indiana’s 7th Congressional district achieve affordable, stable homeownership.”
“I strongly urge those who are personally facing the challenge of foreclosure to attend the ACORN Foreclosure Prevention Fair on Saturday, May 17th from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm at the John H. Boner Center. It is events like this that will help get Hoosiers back on track.”
Voted against cutting funding for ACORN
In September 2009, following the lead of their Senate colleagues, the House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to cut off funds to ACORN. the vote was 345-75. All of the 75 were democrats, and included André Carson. 
Members and leaders of the nation's strongest and fastest growing union, the Service Employees International Union, November 4, 2008, extended their congratulations to Andre Carson for his reelection to the U.S. House from Indiana's 7th Congressional District.
- SEIU members canvassed and made phone calls for Carson in his special election earlier this year. The union also spent $150,000 on an independent expenditure TV ad in Indiana that focused on Carson's record on health care.
- By the time media attention and other campaigns arrived in the fall, SEIU members 1) had established community offices, 2) were well into their voter persuasion efforts and 3) were helping supporters vote early or by absentee and 4) transporting those who needed help getting to the polls.
- Members knocked on 64,302 doors, made 185,645 phone calls and collected 9,292 voter registration cards in Indiana.
- "SEIU members proved that they make politics work and elected a candidate who not only talks the talk, but walks the walk," said SEIU Secretary-Treasurer Anna Burger. "Now, instead of sitting back and waiting to see what happens, members are staying out in the streets and holding our new leaders accountable for the promises they made over this past campaign season on affordable health care and rebuild the middle class by restoring workers' freedom to join unions."
Indiana Change that Works rally
SEIU's Indiana Change that Works along with several coalition partners, assembled in Indianapolis, September 5 2009 to rally for health reform. Rep. Andre Carson, a strong supporter of reform, stressed that the people wanted reform and that is the will the politicians should follow.
Congressional Progressive Caucus
Congressional Black Caucus
Communist Party health campaign
In July 2009, the Communist Party USA Central Indiana Club initiated a letter writing campaign "to request of our Congressman, Andre Carson, that he renew his support for a single-payer national health insurance system by co-sponsoring HR 676, the U.S. National Health Insurance Act. HR 676 is also known as the Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act.what do you think?
- Congressman Carson, like his grandmother Julia Carson, has a proud history of strongly supporting HR 676. Congressman Carson co-sponsored the bill in the 110th Congress.
Wilson Allen connection
In August 2007 U.S. Rep. Julia Carson's grandson, Andre Carson, made it official. He joined the race to succeed 15th District City-County Councilor Patrice Abduallah (D), who was forced to resign his seat on the council after Advance Indiana disclosed the fact he was claiming an address outside his district as his residence. Carson is employed as a state excise police officer for the Alcohol and Tobacco Commission. An online Star report said Wilson Allen, a former township clerk for the Center Township Trustee's office is identified as the secretary for the committee Carson has formed to launch his bid to be chosen by Democratic precinct committeepersons.
Wilson Allen donation
Meeting with SOAR
Scott Marshall April 28, 2016 near Chicago, IL:
Supported Lifting the Gaza Blockade
On Jan. 27, 2010, U.S. Representatives Keith Ellison and Jim McDermott led 52 other members of Congress in signing a letter addressed to President Barack Obama, calling for him to use diplomatic pressure to resolve the blockade affecting Gaza. André Carson was one of the signatories of the letter.  The entire letter together with a complete list of signatories can be read by clicking here.
- Brad Lorton said:
- I wish I could have been there. Unfortunately it was impossible for me to make it. However, I did manage to campaign for Indiana's best and most impressive Congressional Representative -- Andre Carson of the 7th District.
- I add my gratitude to all those who were in Washington on October 2nd.
On November 3 2010, Lorton was very happy at Carson's victory.
- My electoral plans for next year are two fold: (1) Helping Congressman Andre Carson (member of the Progressive Caucus from Indianapolis) get re-elected; (2) Trying to keep Mike Pence from becoming governor.
Lorton wrote on The Nation discussion page December 3, 2011;
- Let me make it clear, I agree with you that there are a LOT of nutless, double-talking Demos -- on the other hand there are some good people in the Democratic Party -- even on Capitol Hill -- like John Conyers, Dennis Kucinich, Keith Ellison and Andre Carson (to name a few) -- and Bernie Sanders caucuses with the Democrats. I suspect that it's still worthwhile to work with these folks in the context of immediate struggles.
Medicare for All Act
In February 2019 Rep. Pramila Jayapal introduced H.R.1384 - Medicare for All Act of 2019. By May 29 she had 110 co-sponsors including Rep. André Carson.
International Year for People of African Descent
September 20, 2011, TransAfrica Forum hosted a series of conversations in celebration of the UN International Year for People of African Descent, Capitol Building Room SVC 212-10 Washington, DC.
- The State of the Black Diaspora
- Positioning the Diaspora in a Global World
- Foreign Policy and the 2012 Elections
Indiana Alliance for Retired Americans hosted Andre Carson at a 2008 meeting to protect Social Security. The Congressman signed a pledge to support the program and to oppose any cuts.
ARA endorsement, 2014
"America needs Muslims"
On May 26, 2012, Carson was a guest speaker at the 37th annual convention of the Islamic Circle of North America/Muslim American Society, in Hartford, Connecticut. During his remarks, Carson claimed that U.S. schools should be modeled after madrassas—Islamic schools infamous for their tendency to promote sexist, anti-Semitic teachings. Said Carson:
- “America will never tap into educational innovation and ingenuity without looking at the model that we have in our madrassas, in our schools, where innovation is encouraged, where the foundation is the Quran. And that model that we are pushing in some of our schools meets the multiple needs of students.... America must understand that she needs Muslims.”
Center for Interfaith Cooperation
Congressman Andre Carson spoke at the first annual fundraising gala dinner of the Center for Interfaith Cooperation, in the Krannert Room of Indiana Interchurch Center, 1100 W. 42 (Cost: $100). For more info, contact Charlie Wiles.
Jobs with Justice
In February 2010, Rep. Andre Carson, D-Indiana, was set to speak at a protest rally outside WellPoint headquarters on Monument Circle.
The organization behind the protest, a janitors union group called Central Indiana Jobs with Justice, wanted WellPoint to delay implementing premium increases on individual policies—as it has done in California while state regulators investigate.
At these rates, people will have to choose between making their monthly household payments and keeping their health coverage,” Allison Luthe, an organizer for Jobs with Justice, said in a statement.
On July 24, 2013 Central Indiana Jobs with Justice joined with local workers, community members and groups, labor unions and community leaders to thank Rep. Andre Carson for his support and to urge Congress to pass the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2013.
Unemployment Town Hall
An Unemployment Town Hall Meeting was scheduled for October 13, 2010, at UAW Local 1111, 431 S Shortridge Road. U.S. Representative André Carson wws be in attendance to talk about the Local Jobs for America Act. Contact was Allison Luthe of Central Indiana Jobs with Justice.
February 2015 Rep. Andre Carson (D-Ind) joined CWA activists and partners Sierra Club, Jobs with Justice, Soil and Water Conservation, UAW and others at a town hall meeting to focus on the critical need to reject "Fast Track" authority for the TPP.
Defending the 21st Century Community Learning Centers
After-school programs in Central Indiana are bracing for federal budget cuts following President Donald Trump’s budget proposal.
Trump’s plan calls for the elimination of the 21st Century Community Learning Centers, which serves more than 20,107 children in Indiana.
Proposed cuts would impact before and after-school programs for low-income students such as the Boys & Girls Club and community centers, such as the Martin Luther King Community Center on West 40th Street.
The center provides students a safe place to go after school, as well as during spring, summer, fall, and winter breaks while their parents go to work.
Students can read, play games, exercise, and do some educational activities while participating in the program.
“These programs are important because they help kids achieve in school, they keep kids out of trouble, they provide supervision while they’re parents are at work and provide positive youth development activities,” said MLK Community Center Director Allison Luthe.
The MLK Community Center recently received a four-year grant worth more than $180,000 per year, Luthe said.
“If we lose our federal funding, it will cut the program in half from 60 kids to less than 30 kids if that money is not renewed,” said Luthe.
Nonprofits and program participants are urging people to contact Congress about the 21st Century Community Learning Centers program.
“It’s now up to Congress to counter the cut—or execute it and eliminate programs relied on by families across the nation to keep kids safe and engaged,” according to the Afterschool Alliance. “Nearly two million children and families would be left without reliable afterschool choices.”
Congressman Andre Carson told Call 6 Investigates the proposal will hurt Hoosiers.
“As a former law enforcement officer, I know how important it is for young people to have a safe place to go before and after school,” said Congressman André Carson (D-Indiana). “Too many children in Marion County encounter guns, drugs and gang activity every day. By preserving the 21st Century Community Learning Center program, thousands of students and families across Indiana will continue to benefit from quality after-school and summer learning programs that keep kids safe, inspire them to learn and help working families.”
In 2013 Progressive Democrats of America assigned activists to deliver their material to almost every US Congressman and several Senators, L.A. Hightower, was assigned as contact for Rep. Carson. In June it was Omar Martin
Pro-North Korea connection
Global Campaign for a Korea Peace Treaty - NCCK, July 25, 2016.
- We met this morning with staff of Representative Andre Carson's office in Indianapolis. We shared our passion and need for dialogue and a #KoreaPeaceTreaty on the Korean peninsula, as well as the ill-advised policies of sanctions and military threats. We are gateful for staffperson, Heather Harvey's anthropological perspective and willingness to listen and understand. #EndKoreanWar #NoWar
2014 Muslim American Society convention
Congressman Andre Carson found himself in strange company December 2014, when he was scheduled to be featured on a panel with a known Al-Qaeda webmaster and Taliban fundraiser, Mazen Mokhtar, during the just-concluded 2014 Muslim American Society/Islamic Circle of North America (MAS/ICNA) 2014 convention held in Chicago.
The panel was titled “Ferguson is our issue: We Can’t Breathe.”
Mokhtar is well-known to the FBI.
In 2004, Mokhtar was named in a federal affidavit in the case of a UK-based Al-Qaeda website that raised money for the Taliban and other terrorist organizations.
- Meanwhile, a New Jersey man is under investigation for having helped a British computer specialist, also arrested in London this week, allegedly solicit funds for a terrorist group by creating and operating an exact replica of the British man’s Web site.
- Mazen Mokhtar, an Egyptian-born imam and political activist, operated a Web site identified in an affidavit unsealed Friday by the U.S. attorney’s office in Connecticut. The Web site solicited funds for the Taliban and Chechen mujaheddin, according to the affidavit. It is an exact replica of Web sites operated by Babar Ahmad, who was arrested in England on a U.S. extradition warrant this week.
- The affidavit said the New Jersey home of the mirror Web site operator, identified on a Web site as Mokhtar, was searched in the recent past and that copies of Azzam Publications sites, operated by Ahmad, were found on Mokhtar’s computer’s hard drive and files.
- Officials at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement office, which is leading the investigation, declined yesterday to comment on Mokhtar or the New Jersey investigation.
“Your work is truly essential in making democracy work for everyone in this country, regardless of faith, and it is integral in showing the world an example of Islam in which we are seamlessly engaged in society. I truly believe that your work is helping us take critical steps towards increased tolerance and understanding worldwide.” - Rep. Andre Carson (D-Ind.) (September 2014).
“CAIR has been taking important steps towards improving civil rights, and fighting for full protections for all Americans, regardless of faith. [. . .] By demonstrating the tenets of our faith, we can work together to ensure a better, more free future for every American.”
June 2011, Rep. Andre Carson spoke at annual CAIR-MI banquet. Congressman Carson was also invited to meet members of the Muslim community at the residence of Dr. Muzammil Ahmed – Physician and a political activist and his wife Dr. Mrs. Asra Ahmed.
Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi announced in a closed-door meeting January 2015, she would name the first Muslim lawmaker to the House’s Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
A senior Democratic aide said Rep. Andre Carson of Indiana would be named in the “coming days” to the key national security-focused panel. Pelosi (D-Calif.) told lawmakers of the appointment during the members’ weekly caucus meeting.
Carson would be the first Muslim to serve on the committee and was the second Muslim to be elected to Congress. He already serves on the Armed Services Committee and worked for the Department of Homeland Security’s Fusion Center — the clearinghouse established by the federal government to streamline data sharing between the CIA, FBI, Department of Justice and the military.
The intelligence committee will most likely tackle a series of high-profile international crises during the 114th Congress, including the threat of Islamic militants and Ukraine.
Meeting with Hassan Rouhani
While in town for the 68th UN General Assembly, the new Iranian president hosted the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan, Muslim leaders from different Islamic communities and members of the U.S. Congress at a private meeting.
President Hassan Rouhani was elected in June and held the gathering at the One UN Hotel in Manhattan Sept. 24, 2013 across the street from the UN headquarters.
The meeting came after Iran’s president spoke at the General Assembly and impressed analysts with words that reflected a desire to thaw U.S.-Iran relations.
After the guests were hosted at a dinner, the Iranian president entered and engaged in a warm discussion with guests, including Democratic congressmen Gregory Meeks of New York and Keith Ellison of Minnesota. Abdul Akbar Muhammad, international representative of the Nation of Islam, and Supreme Capt. Mustapha Farrakhan were part of the Nation of Islam delegation.
Iran deal/Iranian money
In 2015, in the House, the Democratic recipients of Iranian American Political Action Committee money came out for the Iran nuclear deal. Mike Honda, one of the biggest beneficiaries of the Iran Lobby backed the deal, As did Andre Carson, Gerry Connolly, Donna Edwards and Jackie Speier.
New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- André Carson
After a dinner meeting with 10 young activists in Ferguson, Mo., members of the Congressional Black Caucus are looking for ways to empower the Ferguson activist community. Eleven members of the caucus met with the activists Jan. 17, 2015 including leaders from the Organization for Black Struggle and activists Deray McKesson and Johnetta Elzie.
“That dinner meeting was powerful. They [the members] heard it. They got an earful from those young people about how bad it is. They spoke on how they felt that the civil rights movement had failed them and talked on the abuse they are still taking from the criminal-justice system,” Rep. William Lacy Clay, Jr. (D-Mo.) told The Root days after the CBC visit to his district.
“The next step is for the Congressional Black Caucus Institute to get behind a massive effort to educate the voters of Ferguson. It’s a community of 21,000 people, 67 percent African American; we have the numbers, and the map works for them having a voice in local government,” Clay added.
Members of the CBC pledged to sponsor several young activists from Ferguson for the next CBC Political and Education Leadership Institute Boot Camp. The CBC Institute, started in 2002, has an annual political-leadership boot camp that focuses on leadership development, political campaigns and issue advocacy. In July, 55 young people graduated from the boot camp. Members can sponsor boot camp students with their campaign funds.
“Rep. Joyce Beatty [D-Ohio] agreed to sponsor one of the activists who attended the dinner at the CBC Institute boot camp. We’re gonna have about 15 of these young people in our boot camp from Ferguson,” Clay said.
Clay said the dinner meeting “was very positive, and it wasn’t really slamming the police, but it’s letting them know: OK, we’re watching you. We’re gonna take direct action legislatively to correct some of these gross inequities in the administration of justice.”
CBC member Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), currently the top fundraiser of the 46-member caucus, brought a check to the dinner meeting for each City Council candidate at the gathering. A more detailed fundraising plan is being thought out.
“We have filled the candidates in those seats, and we will be going out in each of the three wards in Ferguson, educating the voters on the importance of them having a voice in their local government,” said Clay.
CBC Chairman G.K. Butterfield told The Root on the night of the State of the Union that the caucus will soon unveil a detailed criminal-justice legislative plan.
Condemning Criticism of Islam legislation
On December 17, 2015, Rep. Don Beyer, Jr. introduced legislation condemning "violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States." The legislation is based on unsourced claims that there is a "rise of hateful and anti-Muslim speech, violence, and cultural ignorance," and a "disproportionate targeting" of "Muslim women who wear hijabs, headscarves, or other religious articles of clothing...because of their religious clothing, articles, or observances." The resolution, H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States 
The legislation was cosponsored by Rep. Michael Honda, Rep. Keith Ellison, Rep. Joseph Crowley, Rep. Andre Carson, Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Rep. Betty McCollum, Rep. Marcy Kaptur, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, Rep. Dan Kildee, Rep. Loretta Sanchez, Rep. Charles Rangel, Rep. Scott Peters, Rep. Brad Ashford, Rep. Alan Grayson, Rep. Mark Takai, Rep. Brian Higgins, Rep. William Keating, Rep. Raul Grijalva, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Rep. G.K. Butterfield, Rep. Gerry Connolly, Rep. Ruben Gallego, Rep. Cheri Bustos, Rep. John Delaney, Rep. Kathy Castor, Rep. Luis Gutierrez, Rep. Michael Quigley, Rep. Elizabeth Esty, Rep. Joseph Kennedy III, Rep. Robin Kelly, Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, Rep. Gregory Meeks, Rep. Grace Meng, Rep. Al Green, Rep. Katherine Clark, Rep. Adam Schiff, Rep. Alcee Hastings, Rep. Sam Farr, Rep. Frank Pallone, Rep. Jim McDermott, Rep. Barbara Lee, Rep. Donna Edwards, Rep. Robert Brady, Rep. Frederica Wilson, Rep. Michael Doyle, Rep. Albio Sires, Rep. Suzan DelBene, Rep. Judy Chu, Rep. Jared Polis, Rep. David Loebsack, Rep. Bill Pascrell, Rep. Debbie Dingell, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, Rep. Steve Cohen, Rep. Ruben Hinojosa, Rep. John Yarmuth, Rep. Niki Tsongas, Rep. Jim Langevin, Rep. Mark Pocan, Rep. John Conyers, Jr., Rep. Mark Takano, Rep. Tim Ryan, Rep. Jose Serrano, Rep. Hank Johnson, Rep. Paul Tonko, Rep. Zoe Lofgren, Rep. Chris Van Hollen, Rep. Lois Capps, Rep. David Price, Rep. Doris Matsui, Rep. Gwen Moore, Rep. Denny Heck, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, Rep. John Carney, Rep. Xavier Becerra, Rep. Eric Swalwell, Rep. John B. Larson, Rep. Dina Titus, Rep. Peter Welch, Rep. Lloyd Doggett, Rep. Jim Himes, Rep. Matt Cartwright.
Endorsed CAIR, 2016
Three brothers who managed office information technology for members of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and other lawmakers were abruptly relieved of their duties, on suspicion that they accessed congressional computers without permission.
Three members of the intelligence panel and five members of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs were among the dozens of members who employed the suspects on a shared basis.
Also among those whose computer systems may have been compromised is Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the Florida Democrat who was previously the target of a disastrous email hack when she served as chairman of the Democratic National Committee during the 2016 campaign.
The brothers are suspected of serious violations, including accessing members’ computer networks without their knowledge and stealing equipment from Congress.
Jamal handled IT for Rep. Joaquin Castro, a Texas Democrat who serves on both the intelligence and foreign affairs panels.
“As of 2/2, his employment with our office has been terminated,” Castro spokeswoman Erin Hatch told TheDCNF Friday.
Imran worked for Reps. Andre Carson, an Indiana Democrat, and Jackie Speier, a California Democrat. Both are members of the intelligence committee. Imran Awan, also worked for the House office of Wasserman Schultz.
Then-Rep. Tammy Duckworth, an Illinois Democrat, employed Abid Awan for IT work in 2016. She was a member of House committees dealing with the armed services, oversight, and Benghazi. Duckworth was elected to the Senate in November, 2016. Abid Awan has a prior criminal record and a bankruptcy.
The three men are “shared employees,” meaning they are hired by multiple offices, which split their salaries and use them as needed for IT services. It is up to each member to fire them.
A criminal investigation into five unnamed people began late last year related to serious and potentially illegal violations of House IT policies. Chiefs of staff for the members were briefed Thursday by the Sergeant-at-Arms.
Capitol Police spokeswoman Eva Malecki said the investigation was still ongoing, and arrests have not been made but staff were “asked to update their security settings.”
The Sergeant-at-Arms told staff that the subjects were four men who were brothers and one woman. It did not name them. It quoted one of the affected members as saying “they said it was some sort of procurement scam, but now I’m concerned that they may have stolen data from us, emails, who knows.”
The three brothers have all shared a house in Lorton, Virginia, that is owned by Hina Alvi. Alvi is a female House IT employee who works for many of the same members as the three brothers, as well as the House Democratic Caucus. Alvi has worked for reps Gregory Meeks, Yvette Clarke, Dave Loebsack, and Emanuel Cleaver.
Signs of trouble have long been visible in public records. The Congressional Credit Union repossessed Abid’s car in 2009, and he declared bankruptcy in 2012, facing multiple lawsuits.
Alvi, who did not respond to TheDCNF’s request for comment, has taken multiple second mortgages.
Jack Langer, spokesman for the intelligence committee, said the committee office has its own IT staff and security measures and classified information from the panel is not allowed to be sent to members’ personal offices.
Letter on Iran sanctions
The National Iranian American Council commended Rep. James Moran (D-VA) and "all twenty-one Members of Congress who sent a letter to President Obama April 4, 2014, supporting necessary action to ensure medicine and humanitarian goods are not unintentionally blocked for the Iranian people. NIAC strongly supported the letter and has consistently worked to raise awareness regarding the impact of sanctions on the Iranian people"...
- The preliminary nuclear agreement brokered by the P5+1 and Iran included an agreement to establish a financial channel to facilitate humanitarian trade; however, medicine shortages have continued in part due to extensive financial sanctions on Iran and the reported unwillingness of banks to facilitate legal, humanitarian transactions.
Signers: James P. Moran (D-VA), Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Andre Carson (D-IN), William Lacy Clay (D-MO), John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI), Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Keith Ellison (D-MN), Sam Farr (D-CA), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rush Holt, Jr. (D-NJ), Mike Honda (D-CA), Hank Johnson (D-GA), Barbara Lee (D-CA), Betty McCollum (D-MN), Jim McDermott (D-WA), James McGovern (D-MA), Gregory Meeks (D-NY), Beto O'Rourke (D-TX), Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Charles B. Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL).
RJ Khalaf was a Congressional Intern with Congressman Andre Carson (D-IN07). Serve as an office assistant and support for the Congressman in 2016. Execute duties ranging from deliveries, to attending policy briefings, and recording memos for the Congressman and his policy advisers.
SAALT Congressional Briefing on Hate Violence
March 23, 2017, South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT), a national South Asian civil rights organization, held a Congressional briefing to address the uptick in hate violence nationwide and highlight recommendations for change, as outlined in our recent report, “Power, Pain, Potential.” SAALT was joined by eight members of Congressional leadership and community partners in an urgent discussion on combatting the surge in hate violence aimed at South Asian, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Arab, and Middle Eastern Americans across the country.
“As President Trump continues to test fire Muslim bans, this administration appears intent on intensifying efforts to ignore and provoke hate violence,” stated Suman Raghunathan, Executive Director of SAALT. “The President has a sworn duty to protect the rights and safety of all Americans. Today’s briefing with Congressional leaders is an important step in making sure President Trump doesn’t escape his responsibilities.”
Our communities have experienced devastating violence in recent months, including deadly shootings in Kansas and Washington State, numerous arson attacks and vandalism of mosques, businesses, and homes nationwide, and mounting fear by our communities across the country.
“SAALT stands ready to work with Congressional leaders to fight hate violence and xenophobic political rhetoric impacting our communities across the country,” stated Ms. Raghunathan. “South Asian Americans are the most rapidly growing demographic group, and we are committed to policies at all levels that reinforce the place our communities have in our nation now and as we continue to grow.”
Member Co-Sponsors of the briefing included: Congressmembers Keith Ellison, Andre Carson; Raul Grijalva; Ami Bera; Grace Meng; Mark Takano; Pramila Jayapal; Raja Krishnamoorthi; Ro Khanna. Judy Chu also attended.
Medicare For All Congressional Caucus founders
In August 2018 Medicare For All Congressional Caucus founding members included Representative André Carson.
The following have worked as staff members for André Carson:
- Umar Ahmed
- Dani Marlene Arellano-Dotson
- Keiana Barrett
- Nathaniel Bennett
- Jarnell Burks Craig
- Dani Dotson
- Belinda Drake
- Melissa Fisher
- Charles Ford
- Kristi Guillory
- Lauren Holland
- Decrielea Hunter
- Glendal Jones
- Aranthan Jones II
- Kasey Kendrick
- Matthew Klapper
- Andrea Martin
- Tammy McAthey
- Carlton Morris
- Natalie June Munoz
- Aarti Nayak Rouser
- Kenneth Wayne Nealy
- Justin Ohlemiller
- John Jioni Palmer
- Adam Passe
- Erica Powell
- Saman Qadeer
- Ellen Quigley
- Micah Anthony Ragland
- Tykia Rodgers
- Erin Rosenberg
- Kimberley Suezette Clifton Rudolph (Kim)
- Angela Teresa Rye
- Amirah Salaam
- Damien Savage
- Asal Sayas
- Irene B. Schwoeffermann
- Andrea Scott
- Megan Sims
- Clydonna Surrett
- George Sutton
- Brittany Taylor
- Kathleen Taylor
- Jason Tomcsi
- Natalie Thorpe
- Stephanie Ueng
- Stephen Sargent Visher
- Torrey Washington
- Francis White
- Sara Williams
- Jeanne Patrice Willoughby
- Christopher Worden (Chris)
- Nida Zaman
- official congressional bio. Accessed August 4, 2011
- official congressional bio. Accessed August 4, 2011
- official congressional bio. Accessed August 4, 2011
- official congressional bio. Accessed August 4, 2011
- 21st Century Democrats website, About us]
- 21st Century Democrats 2008 bio
- American Thinker, September 10, 2011Andre Carson's Racist Family Ties By M. Catharine Evans
- [source, http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080308/NEWS05/803080445/1304/LOCAL]
- [ [source, "Muslims Rally Support for Andre Carson in Bid to Put Second Muslim in Congress," by Talib I. Karim, http://www.muslimlinkpaper.com/mybo2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1362]
- [see, http://www.nurallah.org]
- [see, http://www.mana-net.org/pages.php?ID=&NUM=164]
- Muslim Islam Monitot.org Andre Carson Joins Ellison's Stealth Jihad in Congress March 14, 2008
- [O'Brien, Michael (October 15, 2009). "Conyers blasts GOP lawmakers' accusations of Muslim 'spies' – The Hill's Blog Briefing Room". Thehill.com. Retrieved August 23, 2010.]
- IPT, Dems Tap Radical Islamists for Cash by Steven Emerson and John Rossomando IPT News November 1, 2012
- [http://carson.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/carson-statement-on-home-foreclosures-and-acorn-foreclosure-prevention, Carson Statement on Home Foreclosures and ACORN Foreclosure Prevention Fair May 14, 2008 Press Release]
- [http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2009/09/the_75_democrats_who_are_prose.html American Thinker, September 18, 2009 The 75 Democrats who are pro-sex slave ACORN defenders By Ethel C. Fenig]
- SEIU Press release, SEIU Members Extend Congratulations to Andre Carson on His Reelection to the U.S. House of Representatives FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Published 11:28 PM Eastern - Tuesday, November 4, 2008
- Congressional Progressive Caucus website: Caucus Member List
- Congressional Black Caucus: Members (accessed on Feb. 24, 2011)
- Advance Indiana. Wednesday, August 22, 2007Andre Carson Makes It Official by Gary R. Welsh
- Sunlight Foundation, House Staff Directory, accessed Dec 8 2011
- The Minnesota Independent: Ellison, McCollum and Oberstar urge Obama to lift Gaza blockade, Jan. 26, 2010 (accessed on March 14, 2011)
- [https://www.Facebook.com/events/156348027787338/?fref=nf FB African Descendants in the 21st Century: Race, Rights & Politics
- DTN profile, accessed Nov. 25, 2013
- [http://www.bsu.edu/libraries/beneficencepress/exhibitsperformances/wolfe/word/OliveBranch09142011.pdf, BALL STATE UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR PEACE AND CONFLICT STUDIES The olive branchWeekly Newsletter September 14-21, 2011]
- IBJ, WellPoint's health insurance rate hike spurs legislative inquiryFebruary 20, 2010 J.K. Wall
- Central Indiana Jobs with Justice's FB Page July 24, 2013
- Yahoo groups, 1044Peace and Justice in INingridsatoOct 11, 2010
- PDA May 2013 Educate Congress Digest Letter drops (191 in total – 105 in April )
- PDA June 2013 Educate Congress Digest
- PJ Tatler, Muslim Congressman’s Ferguson Panel at Chicago Islamic Convention Features Al-Qaeda Webmaster, Taliban Fundraiser by PATRICK POOLE Bio December 27, 2014 - 9:54 pm
- Terror Suspect's Arrest Opens New Inquiries By Dana Priest and Susan Schmidt Washington Post Staff Writers Sunday, August 8, 2004; Page A10
- [https://www.cair.com/images/pdf/What-They-Say-About-CAIR.pdf What They Say About CAIR (October 2014)
- [https://www.cair.com/images/pdf/What-They-Say-About-CAIR.pdf What They Say About CAIR (October25 2017)
- [https://web.archive.org/web/20110710080505/http://www.ewlnews.com:80/3/category/andre%20carson/1.html Congressman Andre Carson Meets Michigan Community Members (July 5 2018)
- POLITICO Nancy Pelosi to name first Muslim lawmaker to House intelligence committee By Lauren French 1/13/15 10:32
- [http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/article_100830.shtml Ghe Final callA dialogue with Iran's new president BY FINALCALL.COM NEWS | LAST UPDATED: OCT 2, 2013]
- Frontpage magazine, Traitor Senators Took Money from Iran Lobby, Back Iran Nukes August 25, 2015 Daniel Greenfield
- NDC Member List
- [ http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2015/01/congressional_black_caucus_offers_training_and_support_to_ferguson_activists.html The Root, CBC Offers Training and Support to Ferguson ActivistsBY: LAUREN VICTORIA BURKE Posted: Jan. 28 2015]
- ST Louis Posst Dispatch, Congressional Black Caucus members to attend church services Sunday in Ferguson January 16, 2015 10:30 am • By Chuck Raasch
- H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States, accessed December 26, 2015
- The Daily Caller, LUKE ROSIAK11:12 AM 02/04/2017
- [https://www.niacouncil.org/congress-urges-president-to-ensure-sanctions-do-not-block-medicine-for-iranians/NIAC Congress Urges President to Ensure Sanctions Do Not Block Medicine for Iranians FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Jamal Abdi]
- American Political Action Committee,IAPAC Candidates, accessed January 29, 2017
- , Posted on March 23, 2017 by SAALTSAALT Organizes Congressional Briefing on Hate Violence
- Legistorm: André Carson (accessed on Aug. 24, 2010)