Allison Hrabar worked in the Anti-trust division of the US Justice Department until a report released in Sept 2018 by Project Veritas. She is a member of Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America, the Washington, D.C. branch of the Democratic Socialists of America.
Project Veritas Investigation Sept 2018
The video shows Department of Justice paralegal Allison Hrabar "reportedly using government-owned software and computers to push a socialist agenda. Also featured is Jessica Schubel, the former Chief of Staff for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services during the last Obama administration."
- “So Allison is a paralegal, so she, her living is researching people, so she’s very good at researching people. So, they just find the companies, and then the people that run those companies, and then they find their home address. She uses Lexis Nexis and a couple other software things.”
- "Also in the report, Natarajan Subramanian – an auditor for the Government Accountability Office and fellow Democratic Socialists of America member – explains to the Project Veritas undercover journalist that Allison Hrabar uses her work computer to access Lexis Nexis: “I mean, she has used it, she uses it probably on her work computer.”
- "Subramanian explains that this sort of information needs to be kept secret:
- "“…that’s the kind of thing that you would get fired for…people do not have the silver bullet, the smoking gun or whatever. Um, if they were able to get proof of that, you know? So, we’re all walking that line.”
Fighting Landlords; Strategic Canvassing against Capitalism
In August 2018, Jimmy Tobias from The Nation quoted Allison Hrabar as a participant in the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America campaign: "Stomp Out Slumlords", which would fight landlords who want to evict their tenants. Their vision "is to make dignified housing a universal human right, rather than a commodity, just as Medicare for All proponents hope to do with health care." “We decided to go to the courthouse and pull all of the dockets and start canvassing tenants facing eviction,” says Margaret McLaughlin, the chair of the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America chapter. “The court system is mostly working right now as a conveyor belt to evict people,” says Allison Hrabar, a member of the chapter’s steering committee. “We are throwing a wrench in that system.”
Other Democratic Socialists of America members quoted in the article were Jen Snyder, an organizer with San Francisco Democratic Socialists of America who explained that the movement to focus on housing is strategic: She was quoted as saying: "When we talk about building a movement, we’re talking about getting the most amount of people to see that capitalism is working directly against their best interests. And housing is a damn good way to talk about that.” The San Francisco Democratic Socialists of America claims to have been pivotal in the success of a recent ballot initiative that passed in San Francisco that "establishes a universal right to legal counsel for tenants facing eviction."
- “DSA members were the vast majority of the canvassers and door knockers,” says SF DSA’s Jen Snyder, who was the campaign manager for Proposition F. “We were the main driving volunteer force, we were the campaign staff, the campaign office was the DSA office.”
It’s "also a powerful way to organize a political base," explains Cea Weaver, a member of New York City Democratic Socialists of America’s steering committee as well as its housing working group. “As socialists, our goal is to build working-class power—whether at the polls, in our homes, or in our workplaces. New York tenants are a millions-strong constituency that cuts across lines of race, class, gender, and age. Many of us may vote as workers, students, or parents, but if we unite as tenants, we represent an unstoppable political force.”
From the article:
- "The Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America started sending out 10 to 20 volunteer canvassers each weekend to do long days of door-knocking at rental units across the city. They hit roughly 200 doors on any given weekend, encouraging tenants to defend themselves from eviction."
According to an "operations manual," their "strategy is to make it as difficult as possible to wield eviction as a weapon by raising the costs of evicting a tenant and flooding the channels that permit and carry out evictions."
From their manual:
- "A DSA working group in Washington, D.C. has identified a strategic chokepoint that will allow us to effectively challenge the city’s landlords: landlord-tenant court, the institution responsible for evictions. The power and profit of landlords always depends on eviction: housing can only be a commodity as long as owners have the right to deny shelter to people who do not pay. Our strategy is to make it as difficult as possible to wield eviction as a weapon by raising the costs of evicting a tenant and flooding the channels that permit and carry out evictions. Poor tenants have the latent power to clog the machinery of displacement, and we have developed a program to unlock that power."
Crashing DHS secretary at dinner
On June 19 2018, Margaret McLaughlin tweeted the address of DHS secretary, prompting fellow comrades to come troll her at dinner. Other DSA members included Allison Hrabar and Jesse Rabinowitz as reported at the Daily Beast in an article titled "DSA Says They’re Coming After More Trump Officials After Ruining Kirstjen Nielsen's Dinner." The group Smash Racism DC tweeted that the D.C. branch of the Industrial Workers of the World were also in attendance. Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America member Austin Kendall also joined the ambush.
From the New York Post:
- "Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was forced to leave a trendy Mexican restaurant in Washington, DC, Tuesday night when protesters descended on the eatery shouting “Shame!”
- "Demonstrators occupied DXDC Cocina Mexicana at around 8 p.m. as Nielsen was attempting to have a meal with an unidentified man, according to a video posted on Facebook.
- "Staff members try to contain the situation as members of the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America flood the restaurant, the video shows.
In 2017, the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America Election Working Group finalized a 29 member convention delegate list. The list included Allison Hrabar.
Metro DC DSA Public Facbook group
"Wholesome Meme Stash"
Members of the Democratic Socialists of America Wholesome Meme Stash closed Facebook group, accessed November 14, 2017 included Allison Hrabar.
Congratulations to the newly elected Steering Committee for 2018
- Secretary Nat. S.
- Treasurer Gabriel Rodriguez
DSA Harassment Working Group
Democratic Socialists of America Harassment Working Group, May 2019.
- Allison Hrabar, Metro DC – Delegate
- Zack Maril, Metro DC – Delegate
- Malcolm Bates, Metro DC
- Emily Coombes, Las Vegas DSA/At-Large
- Jennie Yim, Las Vegas
- Emily Robinson, Metro DC/At-Large
- Kel Keating, Las Vegas
- Deep State Unmasked: Leaks at HHS; DOJ Official Resists “From Inside,” DOJ: “These allegations are deeply concerning…referred to Inspector General.” accessed Sept 19
- These Democratic Socialists Aren’t Just Targeting Incumbent Politicians; They’re going after slumlords and real-estate speculators. accessed August 11 2018
- An Anti-Eviction Operations Manual accessed August 11 2018
- DSA Says They’re Coming After More Trump Officials After Ruining Kirstjen Nielsen's Dinner, accessed June 20 2018
- accessed June 19, 2018
- The Activist Left Doesn't Give a Shit About Your Calls for Civility accessed August 7 2018
- Protesters chase Homeland Security secretary from Mexican restaurant, accessed June 19
- [MDC DSA Weekly Update for May 18-25 2018]