- 1 NPC candidate
- 2 2017-2017 DSA NPC members
- 3 DSA Sunshine Solidarity Irma Relief Planning
- 4 Slate for Progress
- 5 "Wholesome Meme Stash"
- 6 Democratic Socialists of America Electoral Committee
- 7 Hayes campaign sponsors
- 8 Memphis Solidarity Brigade
- 9 2018 DSA NEC members
- 10 DSA leadership training
- 11 Socialist Majority Caucus
- 12 References
In August 2017 Allie Cohn stood for election to the Democratic Socialists of America National Political Committee, at the National Convention in Chicago, from Knoxville Democratic Socialists of America.
- I was born and raised in Atlanta, GA and have lived in 9 different states since graduating from high school. I am a southerner at heart and was glad to make my way back after living in the Northeast, Midwest and Southwest regions.
- I have spent the last 12 years teaching students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing in Pre-K through 12th grade in a variety of settings. I am also a mom to 3 sons, ages 10, 16 and 17.
- I was introduced to DSA a year ago when I moved to Knoxville, TN. I had just returned from the DNC, where I proudly served as a national delegate for Bernie Sanders. The Knoxville Chapter invited me to come and share my experience with the Sanders campaign. It felt like coming home when I walked through those doors!
- I am so excited to be running on the Praxis team along with Ravi Ahmad, Leslie Driskill, Celeste Earley, Zac Echola, Michael Patterson and R.L. Stephens!
- I serve on the Knoxville-area DSA Executive Committee. I am also on the Executive Committee for the Knox County Democratic Party where I am also chair of the KCDP Progressive Action Committee.
- I was involved in organizing and sustaining a weekly #NoDAPL solidarity circle that lasted 20 weeks. We sent supplies to the protest in Standing Rock. We also organized divestment actions at our local SunTrust bank branches. We walked to every SunTrust in Knoxville to recruit people to pull their money. I am currently involved in educating our community about the outsourcing and privatization that will affect 10,000 Tennessean facilities workers. Our local DSA chapter has been diligently writing letters to the editor and supporting actions with our local unions.
- I have been able to pull other members of the local Democratic Party into DSA because it is not a political party. Our influence has been growing locally. We need a base. If we don’t have one, then we can’t pressure politicians to enforce any legislative changes we win. But we have to be open to new people and new ideas.
2017-2017 DSA NPC members
Members elected to the Democratic Socialists of America National Political Committee, August 2017;
- Catherine Hoffman
- Chris Maisano
- Christian Bowe
- Christine Riddiough
- Danny Fetonte
- Dele Balogun
- Ella Mahony
- Jeremy Gong
- Joseph Schwartz
- Theresa Alt
- Allie Cohn
- Leslie Driskill
- Natalie Midiri
- R.L. Stephens
- Ravi Ahmad
- Zac Echola
DSA Sunshine Solidarity Irma Relief Planning
- A place for Florida DSA Chapters and OC's to coordinate statewide effort for Hurricane Irma planning and relief.
Members included Allie Cohn.
Slate for Progress
The Knox County Democratic Party is hosting its Biennial Convention on March 25 2017. The KCDP will elect a new governing board and district reps that will serve for the next two years. This is a great time to get involved locally. Districts will be selecting delegates and precinct/ward leaders at their respective meetings over the next two weeks. Each district is allocated a certain number of delegates who can vote at the convention. The selected delegates will be choosing the new party leadership.
DSA member, Allie Cohn, is running for secretary on the "Slate for Progress" along with Emily Gregg, Linda Haney and Shannon Webb. They will be campaigning at the district meetings over the next two weeks.
"Wholesome Meme Stash"
Members of the Democratic Socialists of America Wholesome Meme Stash closed Facebook group, accessed November 14, 2017 included Allie Cohn.
Democratic Socialists of America Electoral Committee
In March 2018 Allie Cohn was involved with the Democratic Socialists of America Electoral Committee.
Hayes campaign sponsors
David Alex Hayes 2019 campaign kickoff was sponsored by Mike Adams, Ben Allen, Chelsea Badgett, Thomas Carpenter, Andrew Cmeyla, Allie Cohn, Anna Corcoran, James Corcoran, Zachary DeJoe, Lisa East, Paul deLeon, Manju Heineman, Haley Hicks, Arlina Johns, Anne Langendorfer, St.Thomas LeDoux, Eric McManly McAnly, Kimberly Peterson, Karen Principe, Sue Rosenburg, Maggie Shoder, Eli Stanfield, Charice Starr, Alexis Watkins, Matt Wray.
Memphis Solidarity Brigade
The Memphis district of Freedom Road brought together cadre from around the nation to support a local organizing effort, Memphis For All, to apply our line and strategy to local elections. The Path to Power Memphis for all Solidarity Brigade took place in mid-July 2018 to culminate with an early voting canvassing effort.
Thomas Wayne Walker May 29 2018:
yo!!! i'm excited to invite y'all to sign up for a program focused on learning, on-the-ground, about building political power as leftists, revolutionaries and radicals in working class communities of color that are left out & shut out of politics. the path to power memphis solidarity brigade will combine training & actual field work in support of justice organizations engaging in electoral work to build power, like memphis for all, labor unions, and more. you can sign up at this link https://goo.gl/forms/wemUNfG4SxbusyHo1
it's listed as wednesday 7/18-sunday 7/22, but the real programming is focused on thursday 7/19-saturday 7/21. housing and food are supported, and other support is available. i'm hoping especially to get folks from tennessee to do it, so we can start really thinking about building a #tennesseeforall. hit me up if you're interested, apply now to get in on this.
Thomas Wayne Walker, Jyoti Gupta, Lindsey Glenn Krinks, Whitney Washington, Briana Perry, Anna Carella, Ramon J. Ryan, David Alex Hayes, Elizabeth Stanfield, Dana Smith, Anne Barnett Josh Adams, Ashley Caldwell, Erica Renee, Deja Foster Justin A. Davis Justin Jones, Sj Payne, Salma Mirza, Jasmine Wallace, Nancy Dung Nguyen, Chris Brooks, Haley Greenwell, Odessa Kelly. Aaron Gamal, Cazembe Jackson, Eliott Geary. Frank W. Johnson, John Emery, Allie Cohn, Calvin Cheung-Miaw.
2018 DSA NEC members
New National Electoral Committee Members, as of May 18, 2018 are Abdullah Younus NYC, Adam Parsons Columbus, AJ Reed Quad Cities, Alex Nagle Philadelphia, Allie Cohn Knoxville, Austin Binns Philadelphia, Christine Riddiough Metro DC, Christian Bowe Lansing, David Greve Pittsburgh, Dele Balogun Chicago, Devin McManus NYC, Felicia Hamilton Boulder, Jason Clayton Metro DC, Jessica Culbertson Akron, Katrina Bergstrom Los Angeles, Keaton Slansky Seattle, Lucas Perez-Leahy Omaha, Mark Masaoka Los Angeles, Peter Simon Denver, Rachel Reyes Los Angeles, Renee Paradis NYC, Sarah Ganong Central Connecticut, Spencer Chan Chicago, Tascha Van Auken NYC, Yesenia Padilla San Diego.
DSA leadership training
Kaitlin Marone November 26 2018:
So inspired after this regional DSA leadership training we had in Asheville, NC! Thanks to everyone who came from NC, SC, and TN! Thanks especially to Asheville DSA who did an incredible job hosting & to BeLoved Asheville for providing such a lovely space. Looking forward to all we're going to do to #organizethesouth together.
(please tag or untag yourselves as you would like! facebook did a lot of it automatically??) — with Kyle Reichel, Allie Cohn, Julie Gautreau, Noah Hall, Tara Rose, Andrew Kunza, Liam Kelly, Evan Kolosna, Le Retif Christian, Rance Orrell and Dennis Prater.
Alison Boland-Reeves Melissa Martinez, connecting you here to my other very good DSA friend, Kaitlin Marone. Y’all have been tag teaming on pulling me in to Democratic socialism for the last little while so I thought I’d do this little gesture to connect you both, since you’re both inspiring powerhouses!