Communist Party USA member Kenneth Appelhans was married for 19 years, to Alice Bush of Gary, Ind., an organizer for the Service Employees International Union. "We shared the same political view and were true comrades in the struggle. Our politics are what brought us together and kept us united," she said. Their relationship grew out of their hard fought but unsuccessful effort to bring a union to LaRabida Children's Hospital.
"Nobody at the time knew the silver lining in that cloud would shine as bright and beautiful as the next 19 years of their time together," said Ken's brother, Bill.
Supported Communist Party call
Communist Party's May Day Salute
In 1995 the Communist Party USA newspaper People's Weekly World, published a "May Day salute" to the "heroes in the class war zone". More than 200 unionists endorsed the call, mostly known affiliates, or members of the Communist Party.
2000 Chicago PWW banquet
The 2000 banquet, held October 28 at the House of Fortune restaurant featured Congressman Danny Davis as guest speaker.
Local honorees were;
- Jarvis Williams, president SEIU local 46, and vice president Chicago AFL-CIO
- Alice Bush, director District 1199, SEIU Local and leader of last summer's strike against Methodist Hospital in Gary Indiana.
- Bea Lumpkin, author of "Always bring a crowd"
- Chuy Garcia, former member of the Illinois State Legislature and presently director of the Little Village Community Development Center.
CPUSA National Board
- PW, Kenneth Appelhans, fighter for working people, dies, Special to the World July 6 2011
- PWW, May Day Supplement May 2, 1992
- People's Weekly World May 6 1995 p 2
- PWW October 7, 2000
- PWW, February 1, 2003 "communist meet heats up in Chicago