Albert Scharenberg was born in Leer, East Frisia (Germany). Before becoming RLS–NYC co-director, he worked as editor at the German monthly “Blatter” and as lecturer of Political Science at the Free University Berlin. He recently published a biography of Martin Luther King, Jr. From 2008 to 2011, Albert served as president of the science advisory board of the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung.
"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Albert Scharenberg of Freie Universitaet Berlin, Germany signed the statement.
Mapping Socialist Strategies
Mapping Socialist Strategies was convened from August 1-4 in Briarcliff Manor, NY, by the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung—New York Office. It brang together 100 influential progressives and leftists from across the United States, Canada, and Europe for an “un-conference” on socialist strategies.
Attendees included Albert Scharenberg.
New York staff
- Stefanie Ehmsen, Ph.D. - Co-Director
- Albert Scharenberg, Ph.D. - Co-Director
- Ethan Earle - Program Manager
- Claudette Chanoine - Financial Manager/Bookkeeper
- Kazembe Balagun - Project Manager North America / United Nations
- Mariana Fernandez - Project Manager United Nations
- Maria Starzmann, Ph.D. - Project Manager United Nations
- Heidi Easton Chua Schwa - Office Manager
RLS Stiftung NY staff, 2017
Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung - New York Office, July 29, 2017.
The RLS–NYC crew hanging out at the rooftop bar, saying good-bye to James Hare, who is going to move to Atlanta soon. — with James Hare, Albert Scharenberg, Stefanie Ehmsen, Mariana Fernandez, Claudette Chanoine, Heidi Chua, Kazembe Balagun, Claudia Horn, My Linh Dang and Ethan Earle.
Left Forum 2018
Marx at 200: Everything Old Is Young Again
- Sarah Leonard (The Nation magazine)
- Biju Mathew (New York Taxi Workers Alliance)
- Yasmina Price (DSA National Afro-Socialist Caucus)
- Christoph Spehr (Die Linke, Germany)
- Kazembe Balagun (RLS–NYC)
- Anne-Kathrin Krug (Teaching "Capital")
- Jake Keller (High School student)
- Katharine Maller (Goethe-Institut NY)
- Chair: Albert Scharenberg (RLS–NYC)