Adolph Reed, Jr.
- 1 The Progressive
- 2 DSA member
- 3 Socialist Scholars Conference 1990
- 4 1995 DSA Youth Conference
- 5 Black Radical Congress
- 6 How Class Works
- 7 Open letter to Andy Stern
- 8 "Support Bill Ayers"
- 9 Interim National Council
- 10 Center for the Study of Working Class Life
- 11 New Labor Forum
- 12 External links
- 13 References
Reed has been a frequent contributor to the liberal magazine, The Progressive.
Socialist Scholars Conference 1990
Race and Class
- Sponsor: New Politics
- Moderator: Gertrude Ezorsky, editorial board, New Politics
- Harold Cruse, Emeritus, Afro-American Studies, University of Michigan
- Susanne MacGregor, Birkbeck College, London
- Adolph Reed, Jr., Afro-American Studies, Yale
- Stephen Steinberg, Queens College
1995 DSA Youth Conference
In August 1995 Adolph Reed, Ginny Coughlin, Joanne Landy, Jeremy Smith, Stephen Coats, Paul Rogat Loeb, Lauren Berlant, Joseph Schwartz, Shakoor Aljuwani, Ron Aronson and Eric Vega, spoke at the Democratic Socialists of America Youth Section conference in Chicago.
Black Radical Congress
How Class Works
At the How Class Works - 2002 Conference, panels included; 3.0 Class and Public Policy
- Frances Fox Piven, CUNY Graduate Center – Political Science
- Adolph Reed, New School University – Political Science
- Ruth Brandwein, Chair, Stony Brook – School of Social Welfare
Open letter to Andy Stern
On May 1 2008, Adolph Reed, a Professor of Political Science, University of Pennsylvania signed an open letter to SEIU president Andy Stern in protest at SEIU move to force its local United Healthcare Workers into trusteeship.
- "We are writing to express our deep concern about SEIU's threatened trusteeship over its third largest local, United Healthcare Workers (UHW). We believe that there must always be room within organized labor for legitimate and principled dissent, if our movement is to survive and grow. Putting UHW under trusteeship would send a very troubling message and be viewed, by many, as a sign that internal democracy is not valued or tolerated within SEIU. In our view, this would have negative consequences for the workers directly affected, the SEIU itself, and the labor movement as a whole. We strongly urge you to avoid such a tragedy."
"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Interim National Council
- Donna DeWitt, President, South Carolina AFL-CIO - Co-Chair
- Bill Kane, President, New Jersey Industrial Union Council - Co-Chair
- Baldemar Velasquez, President, Farm Labor Organizing Committee - Co-Chair
- Noel Beasley, International Vice President, UNITE HERE
- Ed Bruno, California Nurses Association
- Deborah Burger, President, CNA
- Dave Campbell, Secretary-Treasurer, PACE Local 8-675
- Marilyn Clement, Director, CNHP NOW
- Russ Davis, Vice President, AFGE Local 2782
- Rose Ann DeMoro, Executive Director, CNA
- Mark Dimondstein, NC Piedmont Triad chapter
- Jed Dodd, General Chairman, Penn. Federation, BMWE
- Lisa Frank, Metro Pittsburgh chapter
- Cheri Honkala, Founder, Kensington Welfare Rights Union
- Bruce Klipple, General Secretary-Treasurer, UE
- C. Robert McDevitt, President, UNITE HERE Local 54
- Bill Onasch, Kansas City chapter
- Cecilia Perry, Public Policy Analyst, AFSCME
- Linda Raisovich-Parsons, UMWA
- Adolph Reed, Jr., Professor, University of Pennsylvania
- David H. Richardson, PhD, Secretary, AFGE Local 12
- Dean Robinson, Professor, UMASS-Amherst
- Anthony Rochon, BMWE
- Preston Smith II, Professor, Mount Holyoke College
- Brenda Stokely, President, AFSCME DC 1707
- Chris Townsend, Political Action Director, UE
- Gerry Zero, IBT Local 705
Center for the Study of Working Class Life
New Labor Forum
New Labor Forum is published by Center for Labor, Community, and Policy Studies, Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education & Labor Studies.
Editorial Board members listed, as of March 2013; were; Elaine Bernard, Ron Blackwell, Barbara Bowen, Kate Bronfenbrenner, Arthur Cheliotes, Mike Davis, Amy Dean, Steve Early, Hector Figueroa, Janice Fine, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Juan Gonzalez, Marie Gottschalk, Gerald Hudson, Lisa Jordan, Tom Juravich, Robin D G Kelley, Jose LaLuz, Nelson Lichtenstein, Manning Marable, Ruth Needleman, Ai-jen Poo, Katie Quan, Adolph Reed, Daisy Rooks, Andrew Ross, Kent Wong.
- Public Citizen Board of Directors
- Second Annual Socialist Scholars Conference program.
- Democratic Left July/August 1995, page 11
- How Class Works - 2002 Conference Schedule (accessed July 24 2010)
- Liberal Education website: Bill Ayers supporters
- Labor Party News April 2005 (accessed on Dec. 31, 2010)
- NLF website, accessed March 6,2013