Democratic Socialists of America gained a new full-time Program Coordinator, Michele Rossi, who joined the staff on February 15, 1995.
Michele Rossi graduated from Villanova University in May 1994 with a degree in Philosphy and "minors in heresy and hell-raising". While at Villanova, Michele helped to build the university chapter of DSA by provoking student insurgencies around the issues of reproductive freedom, gay and lesbian rights, and freedom of speech..
The 2003 convention committed DSA to a thorough discussion and rethinking of organizational basics, including the "development of a strategic plan, refinement of a mission statement, and discussion of Socialist Vision".
This continues the process initiated at a weekend retreat in July 2001, . Duane Campbell of Sacramento headed the organizing committee, and Sue Chacin from the East Bay was also a member. Other Californians present were Ross Boylan (SF), Delores Delgado Campbell (Sacramento), Virginia Franco (San Diego), Karl Knobler (East Bay), Maria Pineda (Davis), Michele Rossi (East Bay), Herb Shore (San Diego), and Eric Vega (San Diego).
DSA’s Cuba Letter
Michele Rossi signed an April 2003 Statement on Cuba, initiated and circulated by prominent Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) member Leo Casey, calling for the lifting of trade sanctions against Cuba.
- “a statement circulating among democratic left/socialist folks, largely by members of Democratic Socialists of America, condemning the recent trials and convictions of non-violent dissenters in Cuba”.
The petition criticized Cuba's poor human rights record, but shared the blame for Cuba's problems with reactionary elements of the U.S. administration...
- The democratic left worldwide has opposed the U.S. embargo on Cuba as counterproductive, more harmful to the interests of the Cuban people than helpful to political democratization. The Cuban state's current repression of political dissidents amounts to collaboration with the most reactionary elements of the U.S. administration in their efforts to maintain sanctions and to institute even more punitive measures against Cuba.
Many of the petition's 120 odd signatories were known members of DSA.
Michael Hirsch of Democratic Socialists of America, Mark Levinson of the Economic Policy Institute, Washington D.C. and Michele Rossi were speakers on the An Agenda for America: Demands for this Congress, and the Next panel at the Left Forum. The forum was held March 9 - 11, 2007 at Cooper Union College, New York City.
DSA NPC member
- Theresa Alt
- David Duhalde
- Stuart Elliott
- Virginia Franco
- Paul Garver
- David Green
- Seth Hutchinson
- Barbara Joye
- Simone Morgen
- Michele Rossi
- Jason Schulman
- Joseph Schwartz
- Herb Shore
- Maria Svart
- Rannfrid Thelle
- ↑ Democratic Left, Spring 2003
- ↑ Dem. Left, March/April 1995, page 21
- ↑ [Dem. Left, Nov./Dec. 1996]
- ↑ http://www.rawbw.com/~ross/dsa/
- ↑ http://www.nathannewman.org/log/archives/000912.shtml
- ↑ http://www.myleftnutmeg.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=2744F543BE2A4B8698421B7568CB9EF3?diaryId=5918
- ↑  DSA 2009 National Convention Evanston, Illinois November 13-15, 2009 report, DSA website, accessed June 11, 2010