Wayles Browne is a Cornell University associate professor of linguistics.
DSA’s Cuba Letter
Wayles Browne signed an April 2003 Statement on Cuba, initiated and circulated by prominent Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) member Leo Casey, calling for the lifting of trade sanctions against Cuba.
- “a statement circulating among democratic left/socialist folks, largely by members of Democratic Socialists of America, condemning the recent trials and convictions of non-violent dissenters in Cuba”.
The petition criticized Cuba's poor human rights record, but shared the blame for Cuba's problems with reactionary elements of the U.S. administration...
- The democratic left worldwide has opposed the U.S. embargo on Cuba as counterproductive, more harmful to the interests of the Cuban people than helpful to political democratization. The Cuban state's current repression of political dissidents amounts to collaboration with the most reactionary elements of the U.S. administration in their efforts to maintain sanctions and to institute even more punitive measures against Cuba.
Many of the petition's 120 odd signatories were known members of DSA.
"Ithaca DSA Presents"
Ithaca DSA officers, 2011
Ithaca DSA Officers, 2011;
- ↑ http://www.nathannewman.org/log/archives/000912.shtml
- ↑ Democratic Left • Summer 2004
- ↑ http://ithacadsa.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-06-29T14%3A48%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=7 Ithaca DSA website, accessed march 8, 2011]