United Farm Workers
The United Farm Workers of America (UFW) is a union for those who work on or with farms.
- Arturo Rodríguez, President
- Sergio Guzman, Secretary-Treasurer
- Irv Hershenbaum, 1st Vice-President
- Efren Barajas, 2nd Vice President
- Giev Kashkooli, 3rd Vice President
- Armando Elenes, National Vice President
- Erik Nicholson, National Vice Preident
- Diana Tellefson, National Vice President
- Marilyn Calderon, National Vice President
50th Anniversary convention
The UFW's 50th Anniversary convention was held Saturday, May 19,2012. Rabobank Convention Center. Keene, California.
• A three-hour program (1-4 p.m.) honoring the UFW pioneers, with special segments on the 1962 founding convention, 1965-1970 grape strikers and boycotters, 1966 peregrinos who marched from Delano to Sacramento, the Filipino American grape strikers and the farm worker ministry. Among the speakers were Dolores Huerta, Chris Hartmire and Luis Valdez, whose Teatro Campesino performed old union songs and actos throughout the program.
Sunday, May 20, Rabobank Convention Center. Keene, California
• Mass at 7:45 a.m. with Bishop Richard Garcia from the Monterey Diocese presiding, honoring the rive UFW martyrs.
• A program highlighting multiple new UFW organizing campaigns among strawberry, vegetable, tomato and melon workers in the Central Coast and Central Valley in the wake of Governor Jerry Brown signing a UFW-sponsored law in 2011. SB 126 says if growers cheat by breaking the law and denying farm workers their union, then the state can immediately certify the union and get the workers a contract. It also speeds up the process so farm workers don’t have to wait two years before starting negotiations and it lets the ALRB general counsel go to court to reinstate farm workers illegally fired during union election drives.