Salim Muwakkil is a Chicago based activist.
Black Press Institute
"African Americans and the 1996 Elections."
In conjunction with the Chicago Chapter of the Committees of Correspondence, the University of Chicago Democratic Socialists of America hosted a panel discussion on "African Americans and the 1996 Elections." Panelists included Danny Davis, Cook County Commissioner and Democratic Party nominee for Illinois' 7th Congressional District, Barbara Ransby, Chair of the Center for African American Research at DePaul University, and Salim Muwakkil, columnist (for In These Times and the Chicago Sun-Times. Long-time political activist Timuel Black moderated.
Socialist Scholars 1997
The conference was themed "Radical alternatives on the eve of the millenium".
Invitees were asked to join Doug Henwood, Robert Heilbroner, Paul Sweezy, Harry Magdoff, Bill Tabb, Frances Fox Piven, Robert Fitch, Jane Slaughter and Ellen Meiksins Wood "as they debate changes in the labor movement, Marxist theory, the state of the economy, market socialism, and other areas where theory and practice meet".
Or "listen to the United States' only independent and socialist congressman", Rep. Bernie Sanders, "dialogue with" Joel Rogers of the New Party and In These Times' ....Salim Muwakkil on independent politics...
Black Radical Congress
"Back to Basics"
16 Working Panels;
- David Glenn on labor and politics
- Steve Hart on spirituality
- David Moberg on the international labor market
- Francis Calpotura on community organizing
- Joel Rogers on citizen action and social policy
- Lisa McGowan on international finance
- Katherine Sciacchitano on welfare reform
- Robert McChesney on the media
- Chris Lehmann on class in America
- Dan Cantor on electoral strategies
- Salim Muwakkil on African-American politics
- Karen Dolan on the House Progressive Caucus
- Barbara Epstein on feminism today
- Micah Sifry on campaign finance reform
- Sonya Huber on students and politics
- Nelson Lichtenstein on the future of labor
DSA media training
On April 28 2000, the Sacramento Democratic Socialists of America Local hosted a regional Harrington-Hamer Institute training in media skills and community organizing featuring John Nichols of The Nation and Salim Muwakkil of In These Times.
Speaking with Ayers and Obama
Bill Ayers and Barack Obama spoke together at a public gathering sponsored by The Center for Public Intellectuals & the University of Illinois-Chicago, April 19th-20th, 2002, at the Chicago Illini Union;
"Intellectuals: Who Needs Them?
IV. Intellectuals in Times of Crisis
Experiences and applications of intellectual work in urgent situations.
- Bill Ayers, UIC, College of Education; author of Fugitive Days
- Douglass Cassel, Northwestern University, Center for International Human Rights
- Cathy Cohen, University of Chicago, Political Science
- Salim Muwakkil, Chicago Tribune; In These Times
- Barack Obama, Illinois State Senator
At the August 2002 18th Young Democratic Socialists Summer Institute and National Convention at the University of Illinois at Chicago, Salim Muwakkil, of In These Times, spoke on Race in America after 9/11.
In These Times
- Black Press Institute Letterhead October 5 1987
- Dem. Left May/June 1996
- Issue #1 1998 • Democratic Left • page 16
- [Democratic Left Issue 3 1998, page 22]
- Dem. Left Summer, 2001
- New Ground 84, September-October, 2002
- In These Times website: About