Communist Party reformer
In 1991 Paul F...New York, was one of several hundred Communist Party USA members to sign the a paper "An initiative to Unite and Renew the Party" - most signatories left the Party after the December 1991 conference to found Committees of Correspondence.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Paul Friedman, vice president Local 1199, New York, endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Unorganized What should be the left's role in organizing the unorganized? Can labor's current decline be arrested?
- David Bacon, labor journalist and organizer, Berkeley
- Paul Friedman, vice president for organizing, Local 1199, NY
- Alicia Montes-Matzger, Intl. Rep., International Longshore & Warehousemen's Union
- Maria Pantolja, United Electrical Workers field organizer, No CA
- John Case, former UE organizer, Philadelphia
- Minerva Solla, Field Rep., SEIU Local 250
- Ellen Starbird, labor studies instructor, Laney College, Oakland