Pacific Institute is an organization that conducts interdisciplinary research and partners with stakeholders to advance environmental protection, economic development, and social equity—in California, nationally, and internationally. It was founded in 1987 and currently has three main programs: Water, Community Strategies for Sustainability and Justice, and Globalization.
- Lucy Allen, Research Analyst
- Pat Brenner, Director of Administration and Finance
- Dr. Juliet Christian-Smith, Senior Research Associate
- Michael J. Cohen, Senior Research Associate
- Heather Cooley, Senior Research Associate
- Catalina Garzón, Research Associate
- Dr. Peter H. Gleick, President
- Matthew Heberger, Research Associate
- Eli Moore, Research Associate
- Mari Morikawa, Research Associate
- Jason Morrison, Program Director
- Asha Nordwall, Administrative Assistant
- Meena Palaniappan, Initiative Director
- Swati Prakash, Program Director
- Nancy Ross, Communications Director
- Peter Schulte, Research Analyst
- Courtney Smith, Research Analyst
Board of Directors
- Gigi Coe, Chairperson. Former Manager of Strategic Planning, Western Public Policy Group, MCI.
- Joan M. Diamond, Chief Operating Officer/Sr. Scenarist at The Nautilus Institute for Security and Sustainability. Consults for policy and research organizations undergoing major change.
- Dr. Anne H. Ehrlich, Senior Research Associate, Department of Biological Sciences at Stanford University.
- Dr. Eric Gimon, postdoctoral researcher in particle physics at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Dr. Peter H. Gleick, President of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security.
- Olivier J. Marie, business strategist, former Partner at Accenture and Booz Allen & Hamilton, Energy Analyst. Works with MBA students from the Haas School of Business New Sector Alliance helping non-profit organizations.
- Richard Morrison, former Senior Vice President and Director of Environmental Policies & Programs, Bank of America.
- Dr. Robert Stephens, founder and former President of the Multi-State Working Group on Environmental Performance (MSWG). Retired in 2004 as the Assistant Secretary for Environmental Management and Sustainability at the California Environmental Protection Agency, he is currently the Chair of the International Committee of MSWG and serves as Secretariat to the United Nations Environmental Program, Best Practices Network for Sustainable Development.
- Professor Michael J. Watts, Professor, Geography Department at the University of California, Berkeley where he specializes in Third World development, forestry issues, and world geography.
- Ambassador Richard E. Benedick, President, National Council for Science and the Environment; Senior Adviser, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory/Joint Global Change Research Institute; former chief U.S. negotiator of Montreal Protocol on protecting the ozone layer.
- Kelly Cash, Communications Director/West, The Nature Conservancy, Oakland, California.
- Ms. Christina Desser, Vice President for Marketing and Social Research, Muir Investment Trust, San Francisco, California. Ms. Desser was the Executive Director for the twentieth anniversary activities of Earth Day 1990.
- John Gamboa, Executive Director of Greenlining Institute, San Francisco, a non-profit coalition working to promote small, women-owned, and minority-owned business and economic opportunity for people of color.
- Dr. Deborah Jensen, President, Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle, Washington.
- Henry Izumizaki, Chief Strategist, Urban Strategies Council, Oakland.
- Dr. Michael F. Maniates, Professor of Political Science and Environmental Science at Allegheny College, Pennsylvania.
- Steven Nightingale, Businessman, Reno, Nevada. Serves as a director of Center for Conservation Biology, Stanford, CA.
- Ms. Nancy Ramsey, President, Morningstar Imports, a small Sausalito-based company. Independent analyst on disarmament, security issues, and international telecommunications. Ms. Ramsey is also a Legislative Director for Senator John Kerry (D - Massachusetts).
- Dr. Peter H. Raven, Director, Missouri Botanical Gardens, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Hon. Claudine Schneider, Director, The Artemis Project. Former U.S. Representative from Rhode Island.
- Dr. Stephen H. Schneider, Professor of Biological Sciences, Stanford University.
- Peter Schwartz, President of Global Business Network, Berkeley, California.
- Mal Warwick, Chairman of Mal Warwick & Associates, Inc., Berkeley, California.
- Circle of Blue
- Green Power Institute
- West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project
- Dr. Gary Wolff, State Water Resources Control Board