Michael Parenti is listed as a sponsor of the Niebyl-Proctor Marxist Library in Oakland California. He is a leading marxist/progressive political scientist, having received his Ph.D. in political science from Yale University, and the father of Christian Parenti, another prominent progressive activist.
Political Affairs:Journal of Marxist Thought
Michael Parenti's article "Media Distortion and The Gulf War Protest" was the featured item in the April, 1991 edition of Political Affairs, the theoretical journal of the Communist Party USA CPUSA. He was identified as follows:
"Michael Parenti's latest book, "Make-Believe Media: The Politics of Entertainment", a critical study of Hollywood films and television, will be published in June 1991 by St. Martin's Press."
Political Affairs, once billed as a "Journal of Marxist Thought and Analysis", was cited by the government on several occasions as a CPUSA publication:
1. "Subversive Activities Control Board, Docket No. 51-101, Report and Order with respect to the Communist Party of the United States of America, April 20, 1953, p. 6"; and "Modified Report" issued December 18, 1956, p. 116. 2. Committee on Un-American Activities, House Report 1920 on "The Communist Party of the United States as an Advocate of Overthrow of Government by Force and Violence", May 11, 1948, pp. 5 & 36; also cited in the "House Report 209" on the "Communist Party of the United States as an Agent of a Foreign Power", April 1, 1947, p. 25.
Other articles by Parenti have appeared in the CPUSA newspaper Peoples Weekly World.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Michael Parenti, Berkeley endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Salute to Sender Garlin
In May 1992 The Communist Party USA newspaper Peoples Weekly World published a May Day supplement. Included was a page of greetings to Sender Garlin, sending greetings for his 90th Birthday. Most of the endorsers listed, were identified members or supporters of the Communist Party USA.
The list included Michael Parenti.
Institute for Policy Studies
Progressive Alliance of Alameda County
The Progressive Alliance of Alameda County held its founding conference June 1 and 2,1996, Federal Building Auditorium, Oakland California.
Supporting individuals included;
Sacramento Marxist School
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Battle of Ideas 1 Culture and the Battle of Ideas. How are the arts and entertainment being used by the ruling class to propagate racism, violence, sexism and hopelessness? What is the role of artists and the arts in advancing a progressive agenda?
- Geoffrey Jacques, asst. editor, Local 1199 News, NY
- Michael Parenti, lecturer and author, Berkeley
- Alice Sunshine, National Writers Union, SF
- Bonnie Castillo, La Raza Bookstore, Sacramento
Open Letter to the Colombian People, Press and Government, Aug. 1996
- We, the undersigned, are North Americans and others who are deeply disturbed by the human rights situation in Colombia.
- Massacres, disappearances and torture happen continually in the anguished region of Uraba. We can not understand how paramilitary groups operate so freely in this militarized region where the Colombian army is present in massive numbers, and which does not perform its constitutional function of defending the civilian population. And we can not understand why the regional paramilitary leader is not apprehended and brought to justice for his crimes against humanity.
- We call upon all armed parties -- paramilitary units, guerrillas, army, police, urban militias and commandos -- to immediately cease all attacks upon both the civilian population and upon each other. Justice, peace and a fruitful life is never found through murder, torture, kidnapping and intimidation.
Endorsed Communist Party fund raiser
2003 PWW fundraiser
The war in Iraq, like conflicts in which the United States has been engaged for more than a century, is not about spreading democracy but global corporate expansionism, author Michael Parenti told a standing-room-only crowd at a fund-raiser for the Peoples Weekly World/
Nuestro Mundo held Oct. 13 here.
Over 250 people packed the UNITE! union hall to hear Parenti speak on “Democracy vs. U.S. World Domination.”
Despite the recent recall election victory for Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger, the audience showed that the people’s fighting spirit and hunger for progressive views are not curbed. The event raised $4,700 for the PWW.
Michael Parenti was one of 100 "prominent Americans" who signed an October 26 2004 statementcirculated by 911Truth.org calling on the U.S. Government to investigate 9/11 as a possible "inside job".
- ...we have assembled 100 notable Americans and 40 family members of those who died to sign this 9/11 Statement, which calls for immediate public attention to unanswered questions that suggest that people within the current administration may indeed have deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen, perhaps as a pretext for war.
Not In Our Name
In August 2004 Michael Parenti endorsed an anti “Bush Team” Protest at the Republican National Convention in New York, organized by Not In Our Name, an organization closely associated with the Revolutionary Communist Party.
Supporting Bolivian revolution
- The democratically elected government of Bolivia's first indigenous president Evo Morales Ayma, which is heading a process of democratic change, is Washington's immediate target in Latin America today. Bolivia is in Washington's sight, not only because it is viewed as the weakest link of the growing axis of hope in the region, but because of its role as a catalyst for inspiring the struggles of indigenous peoples, regionally and internationally, for real social justice...
- Now is the time for all intellectuals, union militants, solidarity activists, political parties and progressive minded individuals who believe in real justice and equality to raise their voices in defense of the Bolivian government and its people. No to US interference in Bolivia!
- Australia - Federico Fuentes, Kiraz Janicke, John Percy, Rohan Pearce, Adrian Fuentes
- Peru - Hugo Blanco
- Chile - Marta Harnecker, Maria Eliana Astaburuaga
- Mexico - John Ross
- Bolivia - Georg Ann Potter
- Canada - Michael Lebowitz, Derrick O'Keefe, Sid Shniad, John Riddell, Roger Annis Susan Spronk, Nelson Rubio, Canadian Dimension editorial collective, Vancouver Bolivia committee, Vancouver Socialist Forum, Judy Rebick
- US - Gregory Wilpert, Michael Albert, Benjamin Dangl, Martin Hart-Landsberg, Michael Parenti, Walter Lippmann, George Ciccariello-Maher, Al Campbell, Kirkpatrick Sale, Chesa Boudin, Greg Grandin, Thomas Mertes, Ronald Christ, Chellis Glendinning
- Cuba - Camila Pineiro Harnecker
- Nicaragua - Felipe Stuart Cournoyer
- UK - Pablo Navarrete, Alfredo Saad Filho, Andrew J. Silvera, Janet Duckworth
- France - Susan George
- Sweden - Left Party of Sweden
- Norway - Marta Sanchez
- New Zealand - Grant Morgan, Vaughan Gunson, Mike Treen
- South Africa - Ighsaan Schroeder
Nature, Society and Thought
Independent Progressive Politics Network
Latinos for Peace
On October 31 2009, Latinos For Peace issued a statement calling for “no escalation of the war in Afghanistan and for expedited withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan as well as an end to the coup government in Honduras”.
More than 100 activists endorsed the call, including Michael Parenti.
Peoples World event
- Join us for an afternoon of good people, good food, and good discussion for a good cause! Special guest speaker, Michael Parenti, world-renowned revolutionary scholar. Program at 3 p.m. includes songs to bolster the fighting spirit!
- ↑ http://www.marxistlibr.org/sponsors.html
- ↑ Guide to Subversive Organizations and Publications and Appendixes, HCUA, Dec. 1, 1961, House Document No. 398.
- ↑ CCDS Background
- ↑ PWW May Day Supplement May 2 1992
- ↑ CrossRoads April/May 1996, page 6
- ↑ http://www.marxistschool.org/default.aspx?page=allspeakers
- ↑ http://www.marxistschool.org/default.aspx?page=allspeakers
- ↑ Conference program
- ↑ Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- ↑ Open Letter to the Colombian People, Press and Government: Stop the Bloodshed in Uraba, Due Process for Jose Antonio Lopez, Nelson Campo and others, and an End to Faceless Justice and Political Repression, August 1996
- ↑ Peoples Weekly World, September 11, 1999
- ↑ PW Raising spirits and funds from coast to coast, December 19 2003
- ↑ 911 Truth statement
- ↑ http://www.revcom.us/a/1247/rnc_protest_nion_call.htm
- ↑  Bolivia Rising on Tuesday, September 18, 2007
- ↑ http://homepages.spa.umn.edu/~marquit/nst20n3-4a.pdf
- ↑ http://www.ippn.org/IPPN_People
- ↑ http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/alanmaki/gGMyTh
- ↑  Peoples World, Events, accessed June 22, 2010