Michael Eisencher is a Northern California activist.
Communist youth conference
After the Conference of Socialist Youth in March 1964, it was decided to hold the next convention in Chicago, and there form a new national youth organization. The Coordinating Committee determined to switch the meeting place to San Francisco, however, and to hold it on June 19 through 21, 1964. The New organization was named the W.E.B. DuBois Clubs of America and would serve as the youth wing of the Communist Party USA.
Those who signed the “call” for this June 1964 convention, as set forth on page 15 of The Convener No. 4, included Michael Eisenscher, president of the University of Wisconsin Employees Association, Madison, Wisconsin.
Communist Party reformer
In 1991, Michael Eisencher, Northern California, was one of several hundred Communist Party USA members to sign the a paper "An initiative to Unite and Renew the Party" - most signatories left the Party after the December 1991 conference to found Committees of Correspondence.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Michael Eisenscher, AFT, San Francisco, endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Globalization What are the implications for labor and the left of the scientific and technological revolution and globalization of capital and labor?
- Jan Gilbrecht, Representative, California Nurses Association, Oakland
- Gerald Horne, Professor, UC Berkeley, Dept. of Geography
- Mel Pritchard, activist, International Brotherhood of Teamsters, San Francisco
- Mike Eisenscher, former Silicon Valley union organizer, SF
- Clark Everling, Professor, Empire State Labor College, NY
- Maria Pizarro, Chicago
- Carol Pittman, organizer, Local 1199, NY
Center for Political Education
In 1999, Warren Mar of AFL-CIO, and Michael Eisenscher, lead organiser of Project for Labor Renewal facilitated a talk entitled "The Neutralization of U.S. Labor" The talk were sponsored by the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism linked organization, the Center for Political Education.
In 2002 Michael Eisenscher of the Labor Committee for Peace and Justice; Sandra Alvarez of the Global Exchange; Rhonda Ramiro of the Center for Political Education and Committee for Human Rights in the Philippines; and Steve Williams of POWER gave talks entitled:"The Anti-War Movement and Its Links to the Anti-Imperialist Movement." The classes were held at the San Francisco based Center for Political Education.
Endorsers of the project included Michael Eisenscher.
US Labor Against the War
At a February 13, 2003 US Labor Against the War press conference in San Francisco, several local unionists spoke in support, including Michael Eisenscher. In 2008 Michael Eisenscher was a staff member of US Labor Against the War.
Hands off Venezuela!
In May 2005 Hands off Venezuela! circulated an internet petition: "from American trade unionists and workers to the appeal to the U.S. government to stay out of Venezuela." Michael Eisenscher of the American Federation of Teachers and the Local 1603 endorsed the petition.
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Michael Eisenscher of the Labor Studies Faculty, Laney College, Oakland, California signed the statement.
Committees of Corresondence conference
At the 6th National Convention of the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism at San Francisco's Whitcomb Hotel July 23-26 2009 a panelfeatured responses to a "Democracy Charter" written by Jack O'Dell. Bill Fletcher Jr, editor of Black Commentator, Michael Eisenscher of US Labor Against the War, Jacqueline Cabasso from Western States Legal Foundation, Frank del Campo from the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement and Steve Williams of POWER (People Organized to Win Employment Rights)addressed the "charter. Bill Fletcher, Jr. cast the Charter as a political and social guide for mass struggle.
Center for Labor Renewal
Bay Area New Priorities Campaign
Initiating signers, Bay Area New Priorities Campaign were;
- Aimee Allison, Host, KPFA Morning Show'
- Bob Brauer
- Mal Burnstein, California Democratic Party Progressive Caucus
- Jackie Cabasso, Western States Legal Foundation
- Attenio Davis, War Times
- Pamela Drake, Oakland Community Activist
- Michael Eisenscher, US Labor Against the War
- Arthur J. Hatchett, Greater Richmond Interfaith Program
- Jakada Imani, Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
- Sheila Jordan
- David Kakishiba, Oakland Board of Education
- Roger Kim, Asian Pacific Environmental Network
- Jack Kurzweil, Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club
- Ying Lee, Grandmothers Against the War
- Antonio Medrano, West Contra Costa Board of Education.
- Grace Morizawa, Asian Americans for Peace & Justice
- Jon Rainwater, Peace-Action West
- Wilson Riles, Oakland Community Action Network
- Walter Riley, Attorney and Civil Rights Activist
- Myrna Schnur, Co-Convenor, Gray Panthers - East Bay
- Sandra Schwarz, American Friends Service Committee
- Norman Solomon, Progressive Democrats of America
- Esperanza Tervalon-Daumont, Oakland Rising
- James Vann, Oakland Community Activist
- ↑ University of California website: The New National Organization of Communist Youth
- ↑ Addendum to Initiative document
- ↑ CCDS Background
- ↑ Conference program
- ↑ Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Center for Political Education website: Past Classes (1998 - 2007)
- ↑ WAR TIMES January 29, 2002
- ↑ http://www.laborstandard.org/Iraq/USLAW_press_conf.htm
- ↑ http://www.uslaboragainstwar.org/article.php?id=6417
- ↑ http://www.handsoffvenezuela.org/signatures_appeal_us_government.htm
- ↑ Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- ↑ Liberal Education website: List of Ayers Supporters
- ↑ http://www.cc-ds.org/convention_2009/Socialism_and_the_Emerging_Progressive_Majority.pdf
- ↑ http://www.centerforlaborrenewal.org/?P=EN
- ↑ Priorities Campaign website, initiating signers, accessed September 1, 2011