Conrad served as the North Dakota Tax Commissioner for six years before his Senate career.
Supported by Council for a Livable World
The Council for a Livable World, founded in 1962 by long-time socialist activist and alleged Soviet agent, Leo Szilard, is a non-profit advocacy organization that seeks to "reduce the danger of nuclear weapons and increase national security", primarily through supporting progressive, congressional candidates who support their policies. The Council supported Kent Conrad in his successful Senate run as candidate for North Dakota.
Opposed the Iraq War
The following is a list of the 23 U.S. Senators voting "Nay" on the Iraq War resolution in October 2002. The vote was 77-23 in favor of the resolution.
Daniel Akaka (D - Hawaii), Jeff Bingaman (D - N.M.), Barbara Boxer (D - Calif.), Robert Byrd (D - W. Va.), Lincoln Chafee (R - R.I.), Kent Conrad (D - N.D.), Jon Corzine (D - N.J.), Mark Dayton (D - Minn.), Dick Durbin (D - Ill.), Russ Feingold (D - Wis.), Bob Graham (D - Fla.) [Retired, 2004], Daniel Inouye (D - Hawaii), Jim Jeffords (I - Vt.), Ted Kennedy (D - Mass.), Patrick Leahy (D - Vt.), Carl Levin (D - Mich.), Barbara Mikulski (D - Md.), Patty Murray (D - Wash.), Jack Reed (D - R.I.), Paul Sarbanes (D - Md.), Debbie Stabenow (D - Mich.), Paul Wellstone (D - Minn.) [Dec. 2002] and Ron Wyden (D - Ore.).
Cuban business conference
On February 19, 2003, Cuban President Fidel Castro met with participants of the U.S.-Cuba Business Conference at Palacio de Convenciones in Havana, participants included Raul de la Nuez, Cuban Minister of Trade; Ricardo Alarcon, President of Cuba's National Assembly; U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell; Juanita Vera; President Fidel Castro; Kirby Jones, President of Alamar Associates; U.S. Senator Kent Conrad; Pedro Alvarez, Chairman of Alimport; John Moore, Lt. Gov. of Kansas.
- Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry
- Subcommittee on Energy, Science and Technology
- Subcommittee on Domestic & Foreign Marketing, Inspection, & Plant & Animal Health
- Subcommittee on Production, Income Protection and Price Support
- Chairman of the Committee on Budget
- Committee on Finance
- Chairman - Subcommittee on Taxation, IRS Oversight, and Long-Term Growth
- Subcommittee on Energy, Natural Resources and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Social Security, Pensions and Family Policy
- Committee on Indian Affairs