Kendra Alexander was a prominent Northern California activist. She died in a house fire in 1993.
Communist Party dissidents
On November 15-16 1991, 30 dissident members of the National Committee of the Communist Party USA convened a meeting to "sign a statement of events" - most or all signatories were soon to break with the party and were later to form Committees of Correspondence.
The signatories included Kendra Alexander, Northern California;
Communist Party reformer
In 1991, Kendra Alexander, was one of several hundred Communist Party USA members to sign the a paper "An initiative to Unite and Renew the Party" - most signatories left the Party after the December 1991 conference to found Committees of Correspondence.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Kendra Alexander, CoC, San Francisco,endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Left Unity Getting it together: How should broad left unity be built? Speaking freely of differences and defining the basis for united action
- Peter Camejo, CrossRoads Advisory Council, Oakland
- Gil Green, author, NY
- Vivian Stromberg, exec. director, MADRE, NY
- Pat Harris, VP, Local 1199, NY
- Kendra Alexander, CA CoC
- Judith Pasternak, managing editor, National Guardian, NY
- Carla Wallace, steering committee, Kentucky Rainbow Coalition, Louisville
- Ethan Young, Cuba Update, NY
- Ron Johnson, housing activist, San Jose
Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
Until her death in 1993 Kendra Alexander servedon the Board of Directors of Oakland based Institute for Social and Economic Studies- sponsor of CrossRoads magazine, which sought to promote dialogue and building new alliances among progressives and leftists... and to bring diverse Marxist and socialist traditions to bear while exploring new strategies and directions for the progressive political movements.
Working for Shirek
- ↑ List of those NC members who signed statement of events at meeting of 11/15-16/91
- ↑ Addendum to Initiative document
- ↑ CCDS Background
- ↑ Conference program
- ↑ Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- ↑ Crossroads November 1993
- ↑ Black Liberation in Conservative America (M. Marable) page 66