John Bachtell is a Communist Party USA activist. He is CPUSA Illinois organizer and a member of its National Board. Bachtell grew up in Ohio and currently lives in Chicago with his wife Terrie Albano and family.
Paul Robeson celebration
- Judith LeBlanc, Communist Party USA
- Gus Hall, chairman of the Communist Party USA, talked of meeting Robeson annually to collect his dues and renew his party membership
- John Bachtell, chairman of the New York district of the Communist Party USA
- Amiri Baraka, who read poetry
- Yasmin Adeigbola, who sang "Amazing Grace"
Tributes came from ;
- Tom Duane authored a City Council proclamation praising Robeson's lifelong fight for a "world at peace, free of racism, inequality and for unity"...and his fight against the erosion of domestic freedom of expression and fanatical anti-communism....Paul Robeson has become a model and an inspiration to all of us..."
- Richard Gottfried, presented a resolution from the New York State assembly honoring Robeson. Democrat David Paterson introduced the resolution in the State Senate. Republican John Marchi and Democrats Richard Gottfried and Roger Green, introduced it in the State Assembly.
In 2001, Bachtell, then New York District Organizer, moved to Illinois. to become the Illinois District Organizer, with an eye to making Chicago a Midwest regional center and helping to build the Party in that region.
Endorsed Communist Party Call
On March 30 2002 the Communist Party USA paper People’s Weekly World called for a national holiday in honor of late Farm Workers Union leader Cesar Chavez. The article was followed by a long list of endorsersincluding John Bachtell, Almost all endorsers were confirmed members of the Communist Party USA.
- Far Left of Center: The American Radical Left Today By Harvey Klehr.page 43
- PWW Hundreds honor Robeson's communist legacy, June 6, 1998, page 3