International Association of Democratic Lawyers
Jeanne Mirer has been a member of the IADL bureau since 1996. Prior to being President of IADL she served as Secretary General and Treasurer. She has been an active member of IADL affiliate the National Lawyers Guild for 40 years and has held numerous positons in the NLG. She currently serves as a co-chair of the NLG International Committee. She is in the private practice of law specializing in employment and labor rights.
NLG pressure to impeach President Bush
The National Lawyers Guild voted unanimously and enthusiastically for a resolution calling for the impeachment of George W. Bush and frites Cheney at their national convention in Washington, DC on November 2, 2007.
The resolution listed more than a dozen high crimes and misdemeanors of the Bush and Cheney administration and "calls upon the U.S. House of Representatives to immediately initiate impeachment proceedings, to investigate the charges, and if the investigation supports the charges, to vote to impeach George W. Bush and Richard B. Cheney as provided in the Constitution of the United States of America."
National Lawyers Guild President Marjorie Cohn and Center for Constitutional Rights President Michael Ratner were among more than a dozen cosponsors. In a news release about the resolution issued by the NLG Marjorie Cohn said,
- "the war of aggression, the secret prisons, the use of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment, the use of evidence obtained by torture, and the surveillance of citizens without warrants, all initiated and carried out under the tenure of Bush and Cheney, are interesting under the U.S. Constitution and international law."
- The resolution provides for an NLG Impeachment Committee open to all members that will help organize and coordinate events at the local, state, and national level to build public participation in the campaign to initiate impeachment investigation, impeachment, and removal of Bush and Cheney from office without further delay. NLG members wishing to participate in launching this committee should immediately contact Ian Head in the National Office at "
The resolution also called on all other state and national bar associations, state and local government bodies, community organizations, labor unions, and all other citizen associations to adopt similar resolutions and to use all their resources to build the campaign.
Passage of the resolution followed two events with John Conyers, Chair of the House Judiciary Committee, during the convention. First was a House Judiciary Committee Public Policy Forum on failure of the Bush/Cheney regime to observe international law. NLG members Marjorie Cohn, Jeanne Mirer, John Quigley, and Peter Weiss testified in the Judiciary Committee hearing room in the Rayburn House Office Building. Jeanne Mirer, Secretary General of the International Association of Democratic Lawyers, took the floor toward the very end of the hearing to say that a remedy is needed, that the remedy is clearly provided in the US constitution, and that this committee has the authority to get that process going. Conyers, who chaired the forum, asked her to repeat that point to make sure it was included in the record. He said that he would be holding further hearings and invited the speakers to return to testify on that remedy, impeachment.
A couple of hours after that forum ended Congressman Conyers arrived at the convention to give his keynote address and answer questions before the 400 lawyers and legal workers in attendance. Former NLG president Michael Avery was first to line up at the microphone and asked Conyers what the NLG could do to help Conyers decide to initiate impeachment investigation of Bush and Cheney. Speaker after speaker pressed Conyers to take action on impeachment, many receiving thunderous applause. Although he remained non-committal, Conyers said he would like to participate in a series of public policy forums around the country that he said could consider the interesting actions by Bush and Cheney and that these forums could lead to the ultimate step of the double impeachment. He suggested that we can only expect Congressional action to follow establishment of a widespread public campaign visibly demanding impeachment.
National Lawyers Guild
Letter to Obama
In March 2009 dozens of 'human rights groups' and activists in the United States, signed a statement urging President Barack Obama to rethink his decision to boycott the United Nations-sponsored anti-racism conference.
- As you know, the Durban Review Conference is one of the most important international platforms for discussing the elimination of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerances. Given the brutal history of slavery and Jim Crow in the United States, your Administration has much to contribute to this discussion. A boycott would be inconsistent with your policy of engagement with the international community…
Committee to Celebrate the Life of Luis Miranda Rivas
In 2009 Jeanne Mirer was a member of the Committee to Celebrate the Life of Luis Miranda Rivas.
Vietnam Agent Orange Relief & Responsibility Campaign
In 2012 Ngo Thanh Nhan served on the Board of the Vietnam Agent Orange Relief & Responsibility Campaign.
Maurice & Jane Sugar Law Center
Essential: Advocacy for Workplace Justice
In 2008, Jeanne Mirer was present at the Essential: Advocacy for Workplace Justice Reception & Silent Auction at Detroit Public Library’s Skillman branch. The reception, which was held on Nov. 14, 2008 is the annual fundraising event to benefit the far left National Lawyers Guild-affiliated Maurice & Jane Sugar Law Center for Economic & Social Justice. The guest of honor at the reception was Andy Levin, son of Congressman Sander Levin, and Deputy Director at the Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth.
- ↑ http://www.iadllaw.org/en/about/officers
- ↑ Lawyers Guild Backs Impeachment By James M Leas. The unveiling blog, November 30, 2007
- ↑ http://nlg.org/aboutus/board.php
- ↑ http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1074695.html
- ↑ http://breakallchains.blogspot.com/2008/01/jan-25th-celebrate-life-of-luis-miranda.html
- ↑ Vietnam Agent Orange Relief & Responsibility Campaign website, accessed Dec. 13,2010
- ↑ Maurice & Jane Sugar Law Center website: Board (accessed on Jan. 27, 2011)
- ↑ Sugar Law website: Winter 2008 Newsletter