We Will Make Peace Prevail!
On March 28, 1982 the New World Review organized a gala luncheon "We Will Make Peace Prevail! Disarmament Over Confrontation, Life Over Death", at the Grand Ballroom, Hotel Roosevelt, New York City. Virtually all participants were identified as Communist Party USA.
Jay Schaffner was listed on the Committee of Sponsors.
Communist Party dissidents
On November 15-16 1991, 30 dissident members of the National Committee of the Communist Party USA convened a meeting to "sign a statement of events" - most or all signatories were soon to break with the party and were later to form Committees of Correspondence.
The signatories included Jay Schaffner, New York;
Communist Party reformer
In 1991, Jay Schaffner, New York, was one of several hundred Communist Party USA members to sign the a paper "An initiative to Unite and Renew the Party" - most signatories left the Party after the December 1991 conference to found Committees of Correspondence.
Committees of Correspondence
In 1992 Jay Schaffner, CoC Implementation Committee, New York, endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
On February 26 1994 a Midwest Regional Meeting of Committees of Correspondence was held at West Lafayette Indiana.
Participants included Jay Schaffner, New York, New York.
In 1997 Jay Schaffner served on the National Co-Ordinating Committee of the Committees of Correspondence.
Marilyn Albert, Mael Apollon, Carl Bloice, Barbara Blong, Barry Cohen, David Cohen, Otis Cunningham, Carl Davidson, Mort Frank, Todd Freeberg, Pat Fry, Marian Gordon, Ira Grupper, June Hemmingson, Ed Hemmingson, Fred Hicks, Duncan McFarland, Anne Mitchell, Maxine Orris, Ted Pearson, Gina Pesulima-Palencar, Edith Pollach, Marty Price, Merle Ratner, Jay Schaffner, Jae Scharlin, Mike Stein, Harry Targ, Walter Teague, Meta Van Sickle, Steve Willett and Mildred Williamson.
Open letter to Andy Stern
- "We are writing to express our deep concern about SEIU's threatened trusteeship over its third largest local, United Healthcare Workers (UHW). We believe that there must always be room within organized labor for legitimate and principled dissent, if our movement is to survive and grow. Putting UHW under trusteeship would send a very troubling message and be viewed, by many, as a sign that internal democracy is not valued or tolerated within SEIU. In our view, this would have negative consequences for the workers directly affected, the SEIU itself, and the labor movement as a whole. We strongly urge you to avoid such a tragedy."
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Jay Schaffner of New York signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
Progressives for Obama
Center for Labor Renewal
Campaign for Peace and Democracy
- ↑ We Will Make Peace Prevail! event brochure
- ↑ List of those NC members who signed statement of events at meeting of 11/15-16/91
- ↑ Addendum to Initiative document
- ↑ CCDS Background
- ↑ COC Midwest Regional Meeting running sheet
- ↑ http://www.greenleft.org.au/1994/155/9068
- ↑ CoC Corresponder Vol4 No 5 p3
- ↑ CoC Corresponder November 1996/January 1997 Page 2
- ↑ http://www.cc-ds.org/IssueJune2006Version4.0.pdf
- ↑ Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- ↑ Progressives for Obama
- ↑ http://www.centerforlaborrenewal.org/?P=EN
- ↑ Endorsers