Jane Slaughter is a Detroit based activist.
Early NAM leadership
In 1971, the New American Movement National Interim Committee was composed of:
- Lynn North, Ann Arbor Mich.
- Harry Boyte, Chapel Hill, No. Carolina
- Martha Williams, Wash. DC
- Harold Henderson, Peoria, Ill.
- Marjorie Fields, New York City
- Staughton Lynd, Chicago, Ill
- Diana Adams, Cleveland, Ohio
- Frank Speltz, Davenport Iowa
Travelers for NAM:
NAM first national conference
The first national meeting of the New American Movement was held in Chicago October 9-11. Up to 75 delegates and observers from 25 cities participated. The meeting laid the basis for a Thanksgiving conference on program in Chicago. The politiçal principles, program, and structure of the organization were discussed;
At the conference, a body mandated a committee to write a shorter version of the original NAM document in a style, adapted to mass distribution. People elected to this committee were:
- Diana Adams (Cleveland, Ohio),
- Jeremy Rifkin (Washington, D;C;),
- Jane Slaughter of the national staff,
- Karen Whitman (Baltimore, Md.),
- Michael Lerner (Berkeley, Calif),
- Alice Lynd (Chicago, Ill),
- Harry Boyte (Chapel Hill, N.C.).
The committee was mandated to have the basic document written by October 23.1971
Jane Slaughter is a former member of the International Socialist Organization.
Socialist Scholars 1997
The conference was themed "Radical alternatives on the eve of the millenium".
Invitees were asked to join Doug Henwood, Robert Heilbroner, Paul Sweezy, Harry Magdoff, Bill Tabb, Frances Fox Piven, Robert Fitch, Jane Slaughter and Ellen Meiksins Wood "as they debate changes in the labor movement, Marxist theory, the state of the economy, market socialism, and other areas where theory and practice meet".
Or "listen to the United States' only independent and socialist congressman", Rep. Bernie Sanders, "dialogue with" Joel Rogers of the New Party and In These Times' ....Salim Muwakkil on independent politics...
Center for Labor Renewal
Against the Current
"Real World Labor"