Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
In the mid 1990s James Vann servedon the Board of Directors Oakland based Institute for Social and Economic Studies- sponsor of CrossRoads magazine, which sought to promote dialogue and building new alliances among progressives and leftists... and to bring diverse Marxist and socialist traditions to bear while exploring new strategies and directions for the progressive political movements.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992, James Vann, co-chair NCIPA, Oakland endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Electoral What should be the place of electoral activity on the left's agenda? What would be an effective strategy for this year, the 90s and beyond?
- Yolanda Alaniz, candidate for Seattle City Council
- Bill Collins, a founder of Citizens for Proportional Representation, Cincinnati, Ohio
- James Vann, national co-chair, National Committee for Independent Political Action, Oakland
- Victoria Missick, teacher & multi-cultural movement, NY
- Dr. Margie Akin, Peace and Freedom candidate, 40th CD, Riverside, CA
- Keith Carson, Legal Aide to Rep. Ronald Dellums, Oakland
- Arthur Kinoy, National co-chair, NCIPA, Montclair, NJ
- Sam Perez, Puerto Rican political activist, NY
- Mark Allen, legislative aide, John George, Alameda County Supervisor
Supporting Committees of Correspondence
CoC NCC member
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 James E. Vann, Former Co-Chair, NCIPA (National Committee for Independent Political Action), Oakland, CA signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
Bay Area New Priorities Campaign
Initiating signers, Bay Area New Priorities Campaign were;
- Aimee Allison, Host, KPFA Morning Show'
- Bob Brauer
- Mal Burnstein, California Democratic Party Progressive Caucus
- Jackie Cabasso, Western States Legal Foundation
- Attenio Davis, War Times
- Pamela Drake, Oakland Community Activist
- Michael Eisenscher, US Labor Against the War
- Arthur J. Hatchett, Greater Richmond Interfaith Program
- Jakada Imani, Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
- Sheila Jordan
- David Kakishiba, Oakland Board of Education
- Roger Kim, Asian Pacific Environmental Network
- Jack Kurzweil, Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club
- Ying Lee, Grandmothers Against the War
- Antonio Medrano, West Contra Costa Board of Education.
- Grace Morizawa, Asian Americans for Peace & Justice
- Jon Rainwater, Peace-Action West
- Wilson Riles, Oakland Community Action Network
- Walter Riley, Attorney and Civil Rights Activist
- Myrna Schnur, Co-Convenor, Gray Panthers - East Bay
- Sandra Schwarz, American Friends Service Committee
- Norman Solomon, Progressive Democrats of America
- Esperanza Tervalon-Daumont, Oakland Rising
- James Vann, Oakland Community Activist
- ↑ Crossroads March 1996
- ↑ CCDS Background
- ↑ Conference program
- ↑ Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- ↑ CoC Corresponder Vol4 No 5 p3
- ↑ Convention program, July 1996
- ↑ Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- ↑ Priorities Campaign website, initiating signers, accessed September 1, 2011