Rev. Frederick Jackson (Jack) Zylman worked for a progressive congress person and the Congressional Black Caucus. He also helped set up free, 6 year medical school scholarships for 250 black American young people in Cuba. After returning to Alabama, he worked as the Development Director for the community health center there, and is active in peace, civil rights and anti-repression organizing.
Communist Party reformer
In 1991 Jack...Alabama, was one of several hundred Communist Party USA members to sign the a paper "An initiative to Unite and Renew the Party" - most signatories left the Party after the December 1991 conference to found Committees of Correspondence.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Rev. Jack Zylman, Birmingham chapter chaplain, National Alliance Against Racist and Political Oppression, Alabama, endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Religion Religion and the churches as a force for radical social change
- Rev. Ben Fraticelli, exec. director, Northern California Ecumenical Council
- Louisa Lavulo, Pacific and Asian American Center for Theology and Strategies
- James Treat, Bay Area Native American Ministry
- Rev. Jack Zylman, NAARPR, Birmingham
- Rev. Dorsey Blake, director, Center for Urban-Black Studies
Committees of Correspondence
In 1997 Jack Zylman served on the National Co-Ordinating Committee of the Committees of Correspondence.
2000 trip to Cuba
In February 2000, Frederick Zylman from the office of Congressman Earl Hilliard spent six days in Havana, Cuba, for the purpose of "information gathering". The trip cost $1,478.47 and was paid for by the Christopher Reynolds Foundation.
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Rev. Zylman of Birmingham, AL signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
- ↑ http://dccofc.org/personals.html
- ↑ Addendum to Initiative document
- ↑ CCDS Background
- ↑ Conference program
- ↑ Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- ↑ CoC Corresponder November 1996/January 1997 Page 2
- ↑ http://www.dccofc.org/reorganize.html
- ↑ American Radio Works website: Trips sponsored by the Christopher Reynolds Foundation
- ↑ Open Letter to Obama on Iran