Gus Hall was General Secretary of the Communist Party USA.
Herbert Aptheker Testimonial Dinner
On April 28, 1966 Gus Hall was a speaker at the Herbert Aptheker Testimonial Dinner. The dinner was held on the occasion of Herbert Aptheker's 50th birthday, the publication of his 20th book, and the 2nd anniversary of the American Institute for Marxist Studies. It was held in the Sutton Ballroom, The New York Hilton, Avenue of the Americas, 53rd to 54th Street, New York City. Most speakers, organizers and sponsors were known members or supporters of the Communist Party USA.
Hall was also a sponsor of the event.
Supported Communist Party call
Endorsers of the call included Gus Hall, USWA, retired.
Communist Party's May Day Salute
In 1995 the Communist Party USA newspaper People's Weekly World, published a "May Day salute" to the "heroes in the class war zone". More than 100 unionists/activists endorsed the call, mostly known affiliates, or members of the Communist Party.
Paul Robeson celebration
- Judith LeBlanc, Communist Party USA
- Gus Hall, chairman of the Communist Party USA, talked of meeting Robeson annually to collect his dues and renew his party membership
- John Bachtell, chairman of the New York district of the Communist Party USA
- Amiri Baraka, who read poetry
- Yasmin Adeigbola, who sang "Amazing Grace"
Tributes came from ;
- Tom Duane authored a City Council proclamation praising Robeson's lifelong fight for a "world at peace, free of racism, inequality and for unity"...and his fight against the erosion of domestic freedom of expression and fanatical anti-communism....Paul Robeson has become a model and an inspiration to all of us..."
- Richard Gottfried, presented a resolution from the New York State assembly honoring Robeson. Democrat David Paterson introduced the resolution in the State Senate. Republican John Marchi and Democrats Richard Gottfried and Roger Green, introduced it in the State Assembly.
Sponsors of the event included poet Amina Baraka, Grace T. Bassett, actress Vinie Burrows, former Peoples Voice editor Marvel Cooke, Councilmember Tom Duane, Attorney Rob Ellis, Assemblymember Roger Green, Gus Hall, Councilmember Bill Perkins, labor unionist Bobbie Rabinowitz, actor John Randolph, Pete Robinson, poet Sonia Sanchez, singer Pete Seeger, labor unionist Chris Silvera, PWW editor Tim Wheeler, New York City Coalition of Black Trade Unionists president Jim Webb and labor unionist Ira Williams.
- Dinner Program for the Herbert Aptheke Dinner, April 28, 1966
- PWW, May Day Supplement May 2, 1992
- People's Weekly World May 6 1995 p 2
- PWW Hundreds honor Robeson's communist legacy, june 6, 1998, page 3
- PWW March 21, 1998, page 2