Socialist Scholars Conference 1990
Drugs, Denial and American Culture
- Sponsor: Social Text
- David Forbes, Brooklyn Diocese, Abuse Prevention Program
- Lynn Chancer, Barnard College
- Michael Welch, St. Johns University
The Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee held its 50th anniversary conference at Shaw University here, April 15-18, 2010.
At its founding here on April 17, 1960, the now-legendary civil rights organization adopted its first formal program. Life long Communist Party USA activist Debbie Bell was a founding member, serving alongside Julian Bond, Harry Belafonte, John Lewis (now a member of Congress from Georgia), Freedom Singer and Sweet Honey in the Rock founder Bernice Johnson Reagon, the Revs. David Forbes and James Lawson, Joyce Ladner and Dick Gregory.
- Glover and Holder were too young to be part of SNCC, but both emphasized that they would not be where they are today without SNCC and its heroic struggle for African American liberation.
- Second Annual Socialist Scholars Conference program.