He first served from 2009-2011 but was defeated by Ann Marie Buerkle in the November 2010 election. Maffei won the rematch on November 6, 2012.
Dan Maffei, born in Syracuse, graduated from Nottingham Senior High School and went on to receive a B.A. from Brown University, an M.S. in journalism from Columbia University, and an M.P.P. from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. During college, Dan worked at his grandfather’s electroplating business and, since graduating, has been a reporter for Channel 9, WSYR-TV, in Syracuse, as well as a communications and policy adviser for Senators Bill Bradley and Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Before being elected to Congress in 2008, he worked as senior vice president of Pinnacle Capital Management, LLC, a Syracuse area investment firm.
From 2009 through 2011, Maffei served as the U.S. Representative for New York’s 25th District, which later became New York’s 24th District in redistricting.
Maffei received $6000 in lobbying funds from Planned Parenthood in 2008.
Supported by Council for a Livable World
The Council for a Livable World, founded in 1962 by long-time socialist activist and alleged Soviet agent, Leo Szilard, is a non-profit advocacy organization that seeks to "reduce the danger of nuclear weapons and increase national security", primarily through supporting progressive, congressional candidates who support their policies. The Council supported Dan Maffei in his successful 2008 House of Representatives run as candidate for New York. He has also been previously supported by the Council.
21st Century Democrats support
21st Century Democrats is a Political Action Committee that has stood for Progressive causes for over 20 years. Founded in 1986 by Institute for Policy Studies affiliate, Iowa Senator Tom Harkin, Democratic Socialists of America affiliates, former Texas Agriculture Secretary Jim Hightower, and former Illinois Congressman Lane Evans. Its three main goals are to help elect progressive candidates, train young people about grassroots organizing, and lastly, to continue to support our elected officials after Election Day "through our comprehensive progressive network".
Carol Moseley Braun, a former US Senator from Illinois, and long time Communist Party USA affiliate, serves on the organization's Advisory Board. Long time Board chair was Democratic Socialists of America member Jim Scheibel, a former Mayor of Saint Paul, Minnesota.
The mission of 21st Century Democrats is to build a "farm team" of progressive populists who will be the future leaders of the Democratic Party.
- In each election cycle, we endorse a diverse array of candidates who exemplify our values and show unusual promise to advance our progressive goals. We invest in some of the most competitive races as well as in some of the most challenging – those in which the candidates are outstanding but the traditional Democratic supporters are most reticent. We back candidates in primaries as well as general election races, and we focus the bulk of our resources on electing challengers and protecting vulnerable incumbents.
Endorsed by JStreet PAC
JStreet's Political Action Committee endorsed Dan Maffei in his successful 2008 House of Representatives run as candidate for New York. They stated,
- "[We] look forward to continuing to work with him as an advocate for Middle East peace on Capitol Hill."
Peace Action connection
Peace Action NY held a meeting with Congressman Dan Maffei - March 29, 2013.
Present: Congressman Maffei, staff person Hallison Jordan
[meeting was 50 minutes long; these are some of the highlights]
- Congressman Maffei is a member of two Congressional Committees: Committee on Science, Space and Technology; and the Committee on Armed Services. He stressed with regard to both committees and with regard to his work in general that he is focusing on peaceful local company initiatives rather than on weapons matters. For example, he is interested in helping Sensis if possible with development of their runway radar systems. He is also in favor of some more militaristic local initiatives such as the missile system being developed by Lockheed, which is a boon to the local economy. A general goal is to work on synergies that will reduce military spending.
- Congressman Maffei was asked if he would be a co-sponsor of the SANE legislation with Congressman Ed Markey (D-MA). He sounded doubtful about sponsoring the bill because he feels it will not pass, but said he knows Rep. Markey and could talk to him.
- Congressman Maffei is interested in working on aiding our local infrastructure and stressed the need to be creative in doing so.
- Congressman Maffei will try to send a staff person to our Move The Money conference on April 13th. A good contact in his Washington office with regard to issues of interest to us is Bryan Maxwell. He is interested in receiving questions from us and encouraged us to send questions to him.
- ↑ Syracuse Post-Standard "Rep.-elect Dan Maffei, no longer a freshman, skips class photo at U.S. Capitol," November 16, 2012
- ↑ 21st Century Democrats bio, accessed Jan. 15, 2012
- ↑ CLW website: Meet Our Candidates
- ↑ CLW website: Who We've Helped Elect
- ↑ 21st Century Democrats website, About us]
- ↑ 21st Century Democrats 2012 bio
- ↑ JStreet PAC website: Dan Maffei
- ↑ Articles: PACNY meeting with Congressman Dan Maffei - March 29