Christopher L. Hayes is a writer and editor of The Nation. His work has also been published in The American Prospect, The New Republic, The Washington Monthly, The Guardian, and The Chicago Reader. Hayes was a Schumann Center Writing Fellow at In These Times from 2005 to 2006.
Christopher Hayes was an identified member of JournoList - an email group of approximately 400 "progressive" and socialist journalists, academics and "new media" activists.
JournoList members reportedly coordinated their messages in favor of Barack Obama and the Democrats, and against Sarah Palin and the Republican Party. JournoList was founded in 2007 and was closed down in early 2010.
Bernard L. Schwartz Fellow
In These Times
Labor, the Left, and Progressives in the Obama Era
April 6, 2010 at the McShain Lounge in McCarthy Hall Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. a seminar "Labor, the Left, and Progressives in the Obama Era" was held.
- After the success of health care reform, what’s next on labor’s agenda? How can the labor movement grow and engage with a progressive movement that speaks to the Obama era? What is the role of younger workers, workers of color, and women? Is there a new “New Deal” on the horizon?
Barbara Ehrenreich, author of Nickel and Dimed, Christopher Hayes, Washington editor of the Nation, Gerry Hudson, executive vice-president of the SEIU, Michael Kazin, co-editor of Dissent, Harold Meyerson, columnist for the Washington Post, and Liz Shuler, secretary-treasurer of the AFL-CIO will speak.
The event was sponsored by Dissent magazine.
New America Foundation
As at May 4, 2010, Christopher Hayes served as a Schwartz Fellow for the New America Foundation. Founded in 1999 by Ted Halstead, the Foundation is a leftist public policy institute which claims to be nonpartisan, and seeks pragmatic solutions to "the next generation of challenges facing the United States".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Hayes' fellow profile
- ↑ Free Republic: JournoList: 151 Names Confirmed (with News Organizations), July 30, 2010 (accessed August 2, 2010)
- ↑ http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3406/the_new_road_to_serfdom/
- ↑ http://www.thenation.com/about/masthead.mhtml
- ↑ http://talkingunion.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/labor-the-left-and-progressives-in-the-obama-era-april-6-in-dc/
- ↑ New America Foundation website: Current Fellows (accessed on May 4, 2010)
- ↑ New America Foundation website: About (accessed on May 4, 2010)
- ↑ New America Foundation website: Statement on Nonpartisanship and Political Activity (accessed on May 4, 2010)