Back to Basics
Back to Basics - A Conference on the future of the American left , was held October 9 - 11, 1998, Congress Hotel • Chicago, Illinois.
"Join in two days of discussion of issues and practice to develop a more relevant and larger role for the American Left as we approach the millennium.
BACK TO BASICS: Beyond the usual assumptions: Take a new look at issues such as equality and justice, electoral politics, citizen empowerment, the shape and role of the media. How can and should the left address these issues as we enter a new era?
BACK TO BASICS: Beyond the usual suspects: Hear from and engage a broad spectrum of leaders and thinkers from throughout the United States to share perspectives and help create a road map to the future."
16 Working Panels
- David Glenn on labor and politics
- Steve Hart on spirituality
- David Moberg on the international labor market
- Francis Calpotura on community organizing
- Joel Rogers on citizen action and social policy
- Lisa McGowan on international finance
- Katherine Sciacchitano on welfare reform
- Robert McChesney on the media
- Chris Lehmann on class in America
- Dan Cantor on electoral strategies
- Salim Muwakkil on African-American politics
- Karen Dolan on the House Progressive Caucus
- Barbara Epstein on feminism today
- Micah Sifry on campaign finance reform
- Sonya Huber on students and politics
- Nelson Lichtenstein on the future of labor