On October 30 and 31, 1998 the Brecht Forum presented the "Communist Manifestivity to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Communist Manifesto" at Cooper Union's Great Hall, New York. Individual endorsers of the event included Sam Gindin. One of the many workshops at the Manifestivity was; A Conversation with Maria Helena Alves, Barbara Fields, Sam Gindin, Stephen Jay Gould, Richard Levins, Cornel West and Ellen Meiksins Wood
Open letter to Andy Stern
On May 1 2008, Sam Gindin, of Packer Chair in Social Justice at York University and former CAW Research Director signed an open letter to SEIU president Andy Stern in protest at SEIU move to force its local United Healthcare Workers into trusteeship.
- "We are writing to express our deep concern about SEIU's threatened trusteeship over its third largest local, United Healthcare Workers (UHW). We believe that there must always be room within organized labor for legitimate and principled dissent, if our movement is to survive and grow. Putting UHW under trusteeship would send a very troubling message and be viewed, by many, as a sign that internal democracy is not valued or tolerated within SEIU. In our view, this would have negative consequences for the workers directly affected, the SEIU itself, and the labor movement as a whole. We strongly urge you to avoid such a tragedy."
Left Forum 2008
US Manufacturing: Restructuring Or Disappearing?: The hollowing out of American manufacturing is an article of faith in much left analysis, but the truth is more complex and this has important organizing, bargaining, and political implications
- Mark Brenner, Labor Notes, “Overview of job loss and restructuring in US manufacturing”
- Nicole Aschoff, Sociology, John Hopkins University, "New data on the net flow of jobs out of and into the US auto industry”
- Stanley Aronowitz, Graduate Center, CUNY, long-time labor activist, “The shift to high tech manufacturing and the implications for organizing”
- Moderator: Sam Gindin, York University, former Assistant to the President of CAW, Socialist Register
Center for Labor Renewal
Mapping Socialist Strategies
Mapping Socialist Strategies was convened from August 1-4 in Briarcliff Manor, NY, by the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung—New York Office. It brang together 100 influential progressives and leftists from across the United States, Canada, and Europe for an “un-conference” on socialist strategies.
Attendees included Sam Gindin..