- 1 New American Movement
- 2 New American Movement 10th convention
- 3 Tribute to Ben Dobbs
- 4 Merger negotiating committee
- 5 Democratic Socialists of America founding conference
- 6 DSA Conference delegate
- 7 Institute for Policy Studies
- 8 DSA’s Cuba Letter
- 9 Rosenberg Fund for Children
- 10 Board of Directors of the Commonwealth Foundation
- 11 Meeting on Community Organizing
- 12 Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity Advisory Board/2015
- 13 Ear to the Ground Project
- 14 No longer DSA
- 15 Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
- 16 Movement Voter Project Advisory Board
- 17 Beyond the Choir Board of Directors
- 18 References
New American Movement
Attendees at the Expanded National Interim Committee of the New American Movement January 2-4, 1976 in Pittsburgh, PA included;
New American Movement 10th convention
In 1981 Richard Healey and Dean Pappas, Co-Chairs of the Commission led a meeting entitled Political Education Commission at the 10th Convention of the New American Movement. The convention was held in a union headquarters in Chicago and ran from July 29 - August 2, 1981.
Healey spoke alongside Barbara Ehrenreich, Long Island NAM; Michael Lerner, NAM Assoc, founder, Institute for Labor and Mental Health and Peg Strobel, Co-Chair, Campus Commission at a public plenary entitled Visions of Socialism.
Tribute to Ben Dobbs
On Sunday, June 7, 1981, the Los Angeles Chapter of the New American Movement sponsored a Tribute to Ben Dobbs for "His lifelong commitment to socialism". The event was held at the Miramar-Sheraton Hotel, Santa Monica, California. Sponsors of the event included Richard Healey.
Merger negotiating committee
After intensive debate, the 1980 New American Movement Convention passed a resolution (by a 2-1. margin) calling for negotiations with Democratic Socialists Organizing Committee, the election of a Negotiating Committee, and the development of a Negotiating Document. Frank Ackerman, Joanne Barkan, David Dollar, Richard Healey, Anne Hill, Katherine Kennedy, Roberta Lynch, and Liz Weston were elected to the Negotiating Committee. Holly Graff was added as the ex officio Political Committee member, and John Beverly became the first alternate. In the fall of 1980 this Committee developed a Negotiating Document which was reviewed by chapters and then amended and approved (by a ninety per cent margin) at the December National Council meeting.
Democratic Socialists of America founding conference
Richard Healey (NAM) was a moderator of the day one "Unity Session" of the Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee/New American Movement Unity Conference in Detroit March 21/22 1982, that resulted in the formation of Democratic Socialists of America.
DSA Conference delegate
Institute for Policy Studies
DSA’s Cuba Letter
Richard Healey signed an April 2003 Statement on Cuba, initiated and circulated by prominent Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) member Leo Casey, calling for the lifting of trade sanctions against Cuba.
- “a statement circulating among democratic left/socialist folks, largely by members of Democratic Socialists of America, condemning the recent trials and convictions of non-violent dissenters in Cuba”.
The petition criticized Cuba's poor human rights record, but shared the blame for Cuba's problems with reactionary elements of the U.S. administration...
- The democratic left worldwide has opposed the U.S. embargo on Cuba as counterproductive, more harmful to the interests of the Cuban people than helpful to political democratization. The Cuban state's current repression of political dissidents amounts to collaboration with the most reactionary elements of the U.S. administration in their efforts to maintain sanctions and to institute even more punitive measures against Cuba.
Many of the petition's 120 odd signatories were known members of DSA.
Rosenberg Fund for Children
Board of Directors of the Commonwealth Foundation
Meeting on Community Organizing
A "Meeting on Community Organizing, Civic Participation & Racial Justice" - organized by the Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity December 2011, Washington, DC.
- Jackie Byers, Black Organizing Project, Center for Third World Organizing
- Rick Cohen, PRE Consultant
- Kennia Coronado, Voces de la Frontera Student Leader
- Sarita Gupta, Jobs with Justice
- Ponsella Hardaway, MOSES
- Marqueece Harris-Dawson, Community Coalition
- Judy Hatcher, PRE Consultant
- Richard Healey, Grassroots Policy Project
- Derrick Johnson, One Voice and Mississippi NAACP
- Jon Liss, New Virginia Majority
- Pam McMichael, Highlander Research and Education Center
- Christine Neumann-Ortiz, Voces de la Frontera
- Denise Perry, BOLD: Black Organizing for Leadership and Dignity, Center for Third World Organizing
- Maggie Potapchuk, PRE Consultant
- John A. Powell, Kirwan Institute (*at time of meeting, now Haas Diversity Research Center at the Univ. of California, Berkeley)
- Rashad Robinson, Colorofchange.org
- Saket Soni, New Orleans Workers’ Center for Racial Justice and National Guestworker Alliance
- Ada Williams Prince, OneAmerica
- Lori Villarosa, Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity
- Bob Wing, PushBack Network (via phone)
Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity Advisory Board/2015
- Ron Chisom, The People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond
- Gihan Perera, New Florida Majority
- Richard Healey, Grassroots Policy Project
- Kalpana Krishnamurthy, RACE Program, Western States Center
- Marisa Franco, Director and Co-Creator Not1More Deportation Campaign; Mijente
- John A. Powell, Haas Diversity Research Center at the University of California, Berkeley
- Julie Quiroz-Martínez, Movement Strategy Center
- Rinku Sen, Applied Research Center/ColorLines Magazine
- Makani Themba-Nixon, The Praxis Project
- Keith Lawrence, Aspen Institute Roundtable on Community Change
- Kien Lee, Community Science
- Martha McCoy, The Paul J. Aicher Foundation/Everyday Democracy
- Denise Perry, Director, Black Organizing for Leadership and Dignity (BOLD)
- Glenn Harris, President Center for Social Inclusion
- Maria Poblet, Executive Director Causa Justa/Just Cause
Ear to the Ground Project
- We would like to express our deep respect and appreciation for everyone who took the time to talk with us, and the organizations that generously hosted us during our travels. Interviews were confidential, but the following people have agreed to have their names listed for this publication:
Most of those listed were connected to Freedom Road Socialist Organization.
Richard Healey was among those on the list. 
No longer DSA
By 2013 Richard Healey was no longer a member of Democratic Socialists of America.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included Richard Healey .
Movement Voter Project Advisory Board
Beyond the Choir Board of Directors
- Minutes of the Meeting of the Expanded National Interim Committee, January 2-4, 1976 Pittsburgh, PA
- Information Digest August 24, 1979 p261
- NAM National Council meeting notice Dec 12 1980
- NAM Commission Chairs list, 1980 - 1981
- NAM 10th Convention Agenda, July 29, 1981
- Tribute to Ben Dobbs program, June 7, 1981
- NAM Discussion Bulletin No 5, Spring 81, page 1
- Conference program brochure
- DSA Conference delegate list Oct. 12 1983 update
- Institute for Policy Studies 30th Anniversary brochure
- Rosenberg Fund for Children Letterhead June 19 2003
- Commonwealth Institute, accessed Jan 4, 2012
- Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity
- PRE Advisory Board 2015
- Ear to the Ground, About, accessed Nov. 12, 2015