- 1 Mickey Jarvis connection
- 2 DSA meeting
- 3 Socialists organize to "challenge for power" in Los Angeles
- 4 War Times
- 5 How Class Works
- 6 Sacramento Marxist School
- 7 Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- 8 Free Mumia Abu-Jamal
- 9 UC Berkeley Labor Center
- 10 Social Policy
- 11 Support for Bernie Sanders
- 12 References
Peter Olney is a Los Angeles activist.
Mickey Jarvis connection
Peter Olney knew Mickey Jarvis well;
- In all the working class organizing I have done over the last 30 years two phrases constantly serve as guideposts and measuring sticks: "A fucking concrete analysis of fucking concrete conditions" And "Time, place and condition."
- I always associate these with comrade Mickey Jarvis and I thank him for his guidance and tutelage.
- Peter Olney Organizing Director ILWU. 
On September 18, 1993 Peter Olney of the Service Employees International Union Local 399 addressed the Los Angeles Democratic Socialists of America local's fall membership meeting, on defending immigrant workers.
Socialists organize to "challenge for power" in Los Angeles
Tarzynski listed 25 people he thought should be on an "A-list" of "25 or so leaders/activists/intellectuals and/or "eminent persons" who would gather periodically to theorize/strategize about how to rebuild a progressive movement in our metropolitan area that could challenge for power."
Tarzynski listed himself, Harold Meyerson, Karen Bass, Sylvia Castillo, Gary Phillips, Joe Hicks, Richard Rothstein, Steve Cancian, Larry Frank, Torie Osborn, Rudy Acuna, Aris Anagnos, Abby Arnold, Carl Boggs, Blase Bonpane, Rick Brown, Stanley Sheinbaum, Alice Callahan, Jim Conn, Peter Dreier, Maria Elena Durazo, Miguel Contreras, Mike Davis, Bill Gallegos, Bob Gottlieb, Kent Wong, Russell Jacoby, Bong Hwan Kim, Paula Litt (and Barry Litt, with a question mark), Peter Olney, Derek Shearer, Clancy Sigal and Anthony Thigpenn.
Included in a suggested elected officials sub-group were Mark Ridley-Thomas, Gloria Romero, Jackie Goldberg, Gil Cedillo, Tom Hayden, Antonio Villaraigosa, Paul Rosenstein and Congressmen Xavier Becerra, Henry Waxman and Maxine Waters.
Tarzynski went on to write "I think we should limit the group to 25 max, otherwise group dynamics begins to break down....As i said, I would like this to take place in a nice place with good food and drink...it should properly be an all day event."
Endorsers of the project included Peter Olney, Institute for Labor and Employment.
How Class Works
At the How Class Works - 2002 Conference, panels included; 6.2 Recent Strike Experiences
“ CWA and the Verizon Strike”
“ The 1996 California Drywallers’ Strike”
- Peter Olney, UC Berkeley – Institute for Labor and Employment
“ Resurrecting the Strike as Labor’s Primary Weapon”
“ Justice for Janitors in Los Angeles”
“ The Teamsters and UPS”
- Peter Olney, Chair
Sacramento Marxist School
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
Free Mumia Abu-Jamal
UC Berkeley Labor Center
Support for Bernie Sanders
Peter Olney, retired from serving the International Longshore and Warehouse Union as Organizing Director. ILWU has endorsed Bernie Sanders for President. Peter is now working with the Labor for Bernie organization.
- [REMEMBERING MICKEY A MEMORIAL GATHERING FOR MICKEY JARVIS (1949-2005) New York City, May 21, 2005 Peter Olney]
- Dem. Left, Sept./Oct. 1993, page 26
- WAR TIMES January 29, 2002
- How Class Works - 2002 Conference Schedule (accessed July 24 2010)
- Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- Signers of Campaign to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal, Now
- UC Berkeley Labor Center: Board