Penny Schantz is a former president of the Santa Cruz Central Labor Council.
Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee's first youth organizer was Cynthia Ward, a former student at the University of Chicago. Other key leaders included Joseph Schwartz, Mark Levinson, Jeremy Karpatkin and Penny Schantz.
New American Movement 10th convention
In 1981 Abby Cassin, South Jersey NAM; Mel Pritchard, San Diego NAM; Penny Schantz and Joseph Schwartz of Democratic Socialists Organizing Committee and Peg Strobel, Co-Chair, Campus Commission led a workshop entitled Campus Organizing Strategies at the 10th Convention of the New American Movement. The convention was held in a union headquarters in Chicago and ran from July 29 - August 2, 1981.
DSA Conference delegate
DSA Feminist Commission
In 1985, Jan Breidenbach, Angie Fa, Nancy Kleniewski, Josephine Martinez, Lillie McLaughlin, Penny Schantz and Glenn Scott were listed on the National Executive of the Feminist Commission of the Democratic Socialists of America.
In 1986 she was listed as a member of the Commission, from Santa Cruz.
DSA Labor Commission
In 1990, George Kourpias, president, International Association of Machinists, Stanley Hill, executive director AFSCME district Council 37 and Penny Schantz, president Santa Cruz Central Labor Council was a contributor to a Democratic Socialists of America Labor Commission pamphlet "The Struggle for Justice and Equality"
Tribute to Michael Harrington
DSAers in Paris
In June 1993 four DSA members met in Paris with their French comrades and a politically diverse group of U.S. and French economists to discuss the difficult transition from Reaganomics to Clintonomics. The DSA delegation from New York included David Gordon, Professor of Economics at the New School; Victor Sidel, Professor of Public Health Medicine at Mount Sinai; Jo-Ann Mort, Communications Director for the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union; and John Mason, an Assistant Professor of Politics at William Paterson College.
In Paris, they were joined by Penny Schantz, a former DSA Youth Organizer.
The conference itself - formally entitled "Today's Changing American Economy" — was the first Franco-American meeting sponsored by La Fondation Jean Jaures, a"public interest corporation" set upby the French Socialist Party.
The Democratic Socialists of America delegation to the 1992 Socialist International conference in Berlin, included Bogdan Denitch, (chair), Christine Riddiough, (VP Socialist International Women), Motl Zelmanowicz, Jose LaLuz, Michael Lighty, Jo-Ann Mort and Penny Schantz.
In January 2006 Penny Schantz was the sole Democratic Socialists of America, representative to the Socialist International meeting in Athens, themed "Peace, Democracy, Solidarity - among peoples, across cultures".
Socialist Caucus at 2016 DNC
Over 300 Sanders activists attended Democratic Socialists of America’s “Socialist Caucus” on Wednesday afternoon, July 27th, 3016. In the audience were over 100 Sanders delegates, including most of DSA’s 55 member-delegates; they were joined by Larry Sanders, Senator Sanders’ brother, and the Senator’s son, Levi Sanders.
Numerous participants remarked on social media that the caucus was one of the most substantive meetings at the convention. A score of participants joined DSA on the spot and the DSA table rapidly sold out of its 50 bright red DSA “Continuing the Political Revolution” T-shirts.
- Shout-outs to all the DSA delegates and volunteers who helped build the caucus. In particular, Tom Gallagher, Penny Schantz, Paul Garver, Harlan Baker, Ashley Rodriguez, Danny and Barbara Fetonte, Larry Wittner, Rachel Ochs, Rebecca Ryan, Diane Isser and the list goes on...
Democratic Socialists of America Unity
- Ravenswood: The Steelworkers' Victory and the Revival of American Labor By Tom Juravich, Kate Bronfenbrenner, page 156
- Michael Harrington, "The Left Wing of Realism," Democratic Left, vol. 1, no. 1 (March 1973), pg. 5.
- NAM 10th Convention Agenda, July 29, 1981
- DSA Conference delegate list Oct. 12 1983 update
- DSA Feminist Commission Directory, 1985
- 1986 DSA Feminist Commission Directory
- Democratic Left, Jan./Feb. 1990, page 11
- Democratic Left, March/April 1990, page 11
- Democratic Left, July/August 1990, page 17
- Dem. Left, Sept./Oct. 1993, page 28
- Democratic Left, November/December 1992, page 12
- DSA DSA Leads Socialist Caucus at DNCPosted by Joseph M. Schwartz on 08.12.16