In 2015, Natalie Midiri, 23, was a nanny living in Camden, N.J.
In 2016 Natalie Midiri was a member of Philly Democratic Socialists of America. She signed the Give The People What They Want: DSA Members on 2016 and Beyond letter.
In 2017, Natalie Midiri, was co-chair of Philly DSA.
In August 2017 Natalie Midiri stood for election to the Democratic Socialists of America National Political Committee, at the National Convention in Chicago, from Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America.
- I joined DSA back in 2013 after meeting some excellent comrades in Sacramento DSA who were fighting Walmart and doing excellent socialist feminist education. As a student activist, I had been very involved in tuition fights and counseling first time college applicants but always worried that my single issue activist work did nothing more than put a “patch fix” on deep social and economic problems. In particular, I felt very left out by the feminist groups at my school, most of which deeply lacked a class analysis and uncritically supported programs that had hurt me and other women in my family when I was growing up.
- In terms of the experience I will bring to the NPC, I’ve spent the past 8 or so years organizing through electoral campaigns, in the labor movement, and in community organizations. I got my start in politics working as a campaign coordinator for municipal level campaigns for School Board, Town Council, and Mayor. For three years after college, I was the sole staff person at a member-run day-care cooperative. I organized for SEIU’s Fight for $15 campaign, worked at the Philadelphia Unemployment Project, an unemployed worker’s council for low-income Philadelphians, and currently am a field organizer for a legislative group fighting for single payer, Healthcare 4 All PA.
- In the fall, I will be returning to school to finish a Masters in Early Childhood Education to unite my interests in education and labor by joining the rank-and-file educator’s caucus, Working Educators, in the Philadelphia teacher’s union.
- I’ve served as Co-Chair of the Philadelphia local for the past two years. Prior to that I served on the Amendments and Resolutions Committee for the 2015 and 2017 National Conventions, helped organize Young Democratic Socialists conferences, ran National New Members calls along with Bill Barclay for two years, and worked to launch Philly DSA’s summer leadership bootcamp..
2017-2017 DSA NPC members
Members elected to the Democratic Socialists of America National Political Committee, August 2017;
- Catherine Hoffman
- Chris Maisano
- Christian Bowe
- Christine Riddiough
- Danny Fetonte
- Dele Balogun
- Ella Mahony
- Jeremy Gong
- Joseph Schwartz
- Theresa Alt
- Allie Cohn
- Leslie Driskill
- Natalie Midiri
- R.L. Stephens
- Ravi Ahmad
- Zac Echola
DSA convention delegate
Philadelphia DSA steering committee
The 2015/2017 Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America At-Large Steering Committee members included Natalie Midiri.
Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America Public Facebook Group
- Seth Kulick, University of Pennsylvania
- Natalie Midiri, Co-Chair at Philly DSA
- Theresa Moran, Thomas Jefferson University School of Nursing
As of June 17, 2017, members included Natalie Midiri.