Template:TOCnestleft Mike Connolly is an attorney, a community organizer, and a proud progressive Democrat who successfully ran in 2016 for State Representative in Cambridge and Somerville, Massachusetts.
- I am running for State Representative because I believe we need passionate new leadership to address the concerns of our communities and advance a progressive agenda both locally and across our commonwealth. I ask for your support of this campaign so, together, we can have the progressive leadership we deserve.
- My commitment to social and economic justice stems from my own background. I was raised in public housing by a single mother who struggled with health issues. I spent time in foster care and benefited from a Head Start program and other social services as a young child.
- With the help of these programs, caring community members, and an extended family, I had the support to overcome adversity and beat the odds. I went on to attend Duke University on a football scholarship. After that, I put myself through Boston College Law School, served as a managing editor for a progressive law journal, became a licensed attorney, and worked for a global technology company.
- Mike Connolly has "quickly become one of the most inspiring progressive politicians in Mass, aligning himself with Senator Warren as well as Cambridge representative (and past OS guest) Nadeem Mazen as one of the few Democrats fighting to move the party to the left.
Our Revolution endorsement
Mike is proud to be endorsed by the following organizations:
- Mass Alliance
- The Sierra Club
- NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts
- The National Organization for Women (NOW)
- The National Association of Social Workers
- Massachusetts Nurses Association
- Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund
- Progressive Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Peace Action
- Our Revolution
- Dig Boston
- American Federation of Teachers
- Democratic Socialists of America
- The Progressive Democrats of Massachusetts
Mike has also been endorsed by local leaders, including:
- MIT Professor Noam Chomsky
- Harvard Professor Lawrence Lessig
- Somerville Alderman Matt McLaughlin
- Cambridge City Councilor Nadeem Mazen
- Cambridge City Councilor Jan Devereux
- Cambridge City Councilor Dennis Carlone
- Former Cambridge City Councilor Minka vanBeuzekom
- Cambridge School Committee member Patty Nolan
- Cambridge School Committee member Emily Dexter
- Somerville School Committee member Lee Erica Palmer
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
State rep. and DSA comrade
Boston Democratic Socialists of America, April 7 2017.
- DSA member and state representative "Big Mike" Connolly speaking out against war in Syria
Our Revolution Maryland
Our Revolution - Maryland's first statewide meeting. Sunday, April 23 3:30 p.m. Tommy Douglas Conference Center 10000 New Hampshire Ave Silver Spring, MD 20903. A livestream with Nina Turner, Larry Cohen, Lucy Flores, Benjamin Jealous and DSA member Mike Connolly.
Toward Radical Democracy
Toward Radical Democracy was a 2018 "Proposal for Internal Voting Reform in Boston DSA".
- If you would like to sign on in support of this proposal, please click here. To date, over 100 members of Boston DSA have endorsed it. We also welcome support from DSA comrades in other chapters.
Signatories included Mike Connolly.
DSA Elected Officials, March 2019
From a March 6, 2019 by DSA National Electoral Committee statement "DSA Elected Officials Support Teacher Power and Working People Everywhere."
Endorsing Democratic Socialists of America members included Mike Connolly, State Representative, Cambridge and Somerville, MA.
Frank Gerratana was treasurer for Quinton Zondervan's city councilor campaign, as well as for Mike Connolly's state representative campaign. While he is an attorney, he is active in local politics affecting the city of Cambridge.
Jivan Sobrinho-Wheeler, a Cambridge renter and tenants’ rights organizer who works with environmental programs at a land-policy think tank based in Cambridge, announced he is running for Cambridge City Council.
“Cambridge is rapidly changing -- rents and housing prices are skyrocketing, and we’re swiftly losing our urban tree canopy. We need our city councilors to ask: ‘Who are we developing for?’ And we need to make sure the answer is the middle- and working-class residents who are at risk of displacement due to housing costs, whether they’re long-time Cantabrigians or newer arrivals. I think our city government has been too passive, hoping the market and for-profit corporate developers will solve our problems for us. I want to bring my expertise and experience in land policy and organizing to the City Council so we can fight for real housing justice in Cambridge that stabilizes rents in our community and doesn’t leave behind working-class homeowners,” said Sobrinho-Wheeler.
“I’ve gotten to know Jivan through his work as an organizer and advocate for affordable housing and tenant protections here in Cambridge,” said Rep. Mike Connolly, who represents Cambridge in the Massachusetts legislature. “I’m excited that he’s running for city council because I believe he’ll be a compelling voice for housing justice and our middle and working-class communities who are facing continued displacement.”