Libero Della Piana
- 1 Discovering the Party
- 2 Socialist Scholars Conference
- 3 Political Affairs
- 4 Communist Party Labor Day call
- 5 1997 May Day
- 6 Endorsed Communist Party fund raiser
- 7 Young Communist League
- 8 Endorsed Communist Party Call
- 9 United for Peace and Justice
- 10 Working for Obama victory
- 11 Vote Obama-"change the world"
- 12 Movement Activist Apprenticeship Program
- 13 Left Forum 2010
- 14 Left Forum 2012
- 15 US Social Forum
- 16 Peoples World personnel
- 17 Communist Party speaker
- 18 Mapping Socialist Strategies
- 19 Alliance for a Just Society staff
- 20 External links
- 21 References
Libero Della Piana is the New York State chair of the Communist Party USA and the Party's Communications Director of the Communist Party USA. He is a member of the national steering committee of United for Peace and Justice and is active in the New York peace movement. The runner-up for New California Media's Outstanding Young Journalist Award in 2001, Libero has worked extensively as a journalist and writer. He has been featured in such publications as the San Francisco Chronicle, ColorLines, Black Commentator and the People's World. Libero Della Piana was born and grew up in Salt lake City, UT and lives in East Harlem.
Discovering the Party
When I was in high school in the 1980s the struggle against apartheid in South Africa and the dictatorships in Central America drew me into the movement. While in college I discovered the Young Communist League and Communist Party. No other organization had such an amazing history in the fight for equality and justice, practice of international solidarity and experienced comrades who were immersed in the issues of the day. The consistency, dedication and long view of the communists is why I joined.
Socialist Scholars Conference
Bill Keach, Ashley Smith, Hillary Scott and Libero Della Piana were speakers on the Multiculturalism or Melting Pot? Fighting the "PC" Bashers panel sponsored by the International Socialist Organization at the Tenth Annual Socialist Scholars Conference. The conference was held April 24-26, 1992 at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York City.
As at November 1994, Libero D. Piana was a member of the National Council of the Young Communist League. Political Affairs is the online magazine of the Communist Party USA network and has also appeared as a monthly journal since at least the 1940's under an earlier name. The network includes the Communist Party USA, the Young Communist League and Political Affairs.
Communist Party Labor Day call
Of the more than 100 endorsers listed, almost all were identified members of the Communist Party USA.
1997 May Day
In People's Weekly World, May Day Special Supplement, Section J, 1997 an advertisement was placed "Solidarity with workers everywhere in their struggles for a better life for all! from Northern California Friends of the People's Weekly World/Nuestri Mundo:
Signatories included Libero Della Piana.
Endorsed Communist Party fund raiser
In September 1999, Libero Della Piana, co-chair Northern California District Young Communist League, co-sponsored a Communist Party USA fund raising event in Berkeley. Rep. Barbara Lee co-sponsored the same event.
Young Communist League
Endorsed Communist Party Call
On March 30 2002 the Communist Party USA paper People’s Weekly World called for a national holiday in honor of late Farm Workers Union leader Cesar Chavez. The article was followed by a long list of endorsersincluding Libero Della Piana, Almost all endorsers were confirmed members of the Communist Party USA.
United for Peace and Justice
Working for Obama victory
Libero Della Piana actively campaigned for Obama against Hillary Clinton in the February 2008 New York primary.
- I am here with a group of folks watching the election results roll in in Manhattan. Many of us worked on the Obama campaign here in the city, so we have been a little disappointed by the big victory for Clinton here tonight.
- But I am impressed by another phenomenon.
- Moments ago, Associated Press declared the state of Utah for Obama.
- I grew up in Salt Lake City, Utah. Growing up African American in Utah, you can believe me when I say the state is overwhelmingly white and more than a little conservative. (Utah had the biggest Bush vote in 2004.)
- To me this is truly amazing and exciting. It represents a huge shift in the consciousness of the country and an amazing moment for the democratic forces too. Obama appears to be sweeping many of the Prairie States (North Dakota, Kansas, etc.) as well as other parts of the Mountain West (Idaho, Colorado).
- To me this represents a victory in and of itself. Now, all eyes are on California as the polls close there...
Vote Obama-"change the world"
In September 2008 Della Piana saw the election as a choice between Republican conservatism and a new people/union driven movement for social change.
- What’s at stake for working people in the election couldn’t be starker.
- McCain represents four more years of the failed Bush policies of war and aggression, tax-breaks for the rich and big corporations, and destruction of social services vital to working-class communities. On the other hand, the candidacy of Barack Obama reflects and represents the massive desire for change: for a livable environment and a sustainable world, for jobs with justice, for peace and progress, for fair taxes and a program to rebuild our cities and towns. Let's be clear, there is a big difference between these two choices. McCain is no "maverick." He is a real conservative who puts the "rights" of the rich and corporations ahead of the needs of the working majority. McCain received a dismal zero percent pro-labor voting record for 2007 while Obama has a stellar 100 percent record and said he looks forward to signing the Employee Free Choice Act into law as our next President.
- 25 percent of the Democratic Party’s Convention delegates were union members, while the GOP Convention speakers took turns bashing unions and blaming them for the economic crisis in the country.
Della Piana looks beyond Obama. He sees the election as a chance to shift the whole U.S. government to the left. By electing more leftist Democrats, the CPUSA hopes to tilt the direction of the U.S. government towards socialism. The Communist Party USA, through their influence in the U.S. union movement wants to completely alter the U.S. political landscape-and to change the world.
- Of course, deeper Democratic majorities in the House and Senate and in an increase in progressives in the Congress will also shift the terrain in Washington, opening the way for legislation to turn-back the damage of the Bush years, and to repair the country from 30 years of right-wing rule. This is no time to sit out the election.
- We not only have a chance to undo the Bush Agenda, but to win big transformative victories and set the stage for higher levels of struggle. A decisive electoral victory in November will lead the way to passage of the Employee Free Choice Act, the end of the occupation of Iraq and implement some form a of national health care. The working-class has been on the defensive for decades, this election has the chance to put the movements back on offense, to set the agenda for the country.
- A big people’s victory in November is not the end of the struggle, but a new beginning on more favorable ground. The mass movements of the people: the peace movement, student movement, civil rights movement, women’s movement, and labor movement have to keep the pressure on to ensure a new Democratic Administration and Legislature keep the promise to meet the people’s needs.
Change the U.S. government and world revolution has no significant opposition.
- Together, we can win in November and together we can go on the to change the world.
Movement Activist Apprenticeship Program
Left Forum 2010
Online Organizing: The Missed Opportunities and Challenges to Come:
- Charles Lenchner, (Chair) - Founder, Organizing 2.0
- Elana Levin, Communications Director, Writers Guild of America, East
- Libero Della Piana, Communications Director of Communist Party USA; IT director of [www.peoplesworld.org]
- Michael Whitney, Online organizer with FireDogLake.org
Left Forum 2012
Prospects for Left Unity in the Political Battles of 2012
- Can a number of socialist and left organizations join together and achieve a critical mass in common projects during the complex battles throughout 2012? Representatives of several organizations – CCDS, CPUSA, DSA, Freedom Road and others – will discuss and debate matters arising from the OWS insurgency, the working class fightback and the 2012 elections.
US Social Forum
In June 2010, groups from all over the country in Detroit for the U.S. Social Forum. They presented over 1000 workshops on topics as diverse as American foreign policy, the economic crisis, global warming, and trade unionism. Democratic Socialists of America presented five workshops, including "Socialism is the Alternative" — DSA members Joseph Schwartz and David Schweickart, Communist Party USA representative Libero Della Piana, Committees of Correspondence representative Carl Davidson, and Freedom Road Socialist Organization representative Eric See discussed a vision for 21st century socialism, why it is still relevant, and how we can promote unity among socialist organizations. The room for this workshop had to be expanded to accommodate the large audience.
Peoples World personnel
- Co-editors, Joe Sims, Susan Webb, Teresa Albano
- Mundo Popular Coordinators, Rossanna Cambron, Barbara Russum
- Labor Editor, John Wojcik
- Political Correspondent Tim Wheeler
- Business Manager, Jenn Delgado
- Contributing Editors, Marilyn Bechtel, Pepe Lozano, Barbara Russum, W. T. Whitney, Joel Wendland, Roberta Wood
- Volunteer Translators and Copyeditors (list in formation), Sijisfredo Aviles, Jesus Alvarado, Bill Appelhans, Jim Lane, Owen Williamson
Bureau Chiefs and National Contibutors, Juan Lopez (N. Calif.), Rossanna Cambron (S. Calif.), Joelle Fishman (Conn.), John Bachtell (Ill.), John Rummel (Mich.), Tony Pecinovsky (Mo.), Dan Margolis (N.Y.), Rick Nagin (Ohio), Libero Della Piana, Scott Marshall, Elena Mora, Emile Schepers, Jarvis Tyner, Sam Webb
Communist Party speaker
- Libero Della Piana is the former Communications Director of the Communist Party USA. He is a member of the national steering committee of United for Peace & Justice and is active in the New York peace movement.
- The runner-up for New California Media’s Outstanding Young Journalist Award in 2001, Libero has worked extensively as a journalist and writer. He has been featured in such publications as the San Francisco Chronicle, Colorlines, Black Commentator and the People’s World.
- Libero was born and grew up in Salt lake City, UT and lives in East Harlem.
Mapping Socialist Strategies
Mapping Socialist Strategies was convened from August 1-4 in Briarcliff Manor, NY, by the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung—New York Office. It brang together 100 influential progressives and leftists from across the United States, Canada, and Europe for an “un-conference” on socialist strategies.
Attendees included Libero Della Piana.
Alliance for a Just Society staff
- Alliance for a Just Society staff, as of February 2016
- LeeAnn Hall, Executive Director
- Amanda Ballantyne, Main Street Alliance, Director
- Harsimran Bagri, Administrative Director
- Sam Blair, Director of Strategic Partnerships
- Julie Chinitz, Special Projects Director
- Bill Daley, Legislative Director
- Libero Della Piana, Senior Organizer and Digital Director
- Allyson Fredericksen, Policy Analyst
- Ben Henry, Senior Policy Associate
- Judith LeBlanc, Senior Organizer and National Coordinator, Native Organizers Alliance
- Kathy Mulady, Communications Director
- Jill Reese, Associate Director
- SSE Tenth Annual Conference Program, 1992
- Political Affairs, November 1994, page 11
- People's Weekly World Sep 2 1995 p 14
- Peoples Weekly World, September 11, 1999
- Center for Third World Organizing website: Alumni Network (accessed on Aug. 16, 2010)
-  Over 15,000 attend US Social Forum, David Green, Talking union Blog, July 3, 2010
- Contact the People's World, accessed Dec. 27, 2010
- Speak Progress, Speakers page
- [;http://allianceforajustsociety.org/about/staff/ Alliance for a Just Society staff, accessed Feb,2016]