"RSCC Study: The CUNY Student Struggle, Then and Now"
Columbia University - Intercultural Resource Center (552 W 114st st by Broadway) Sunday 1 December 2013, organized by Revolutionary Student Coordinating Committee.
- The Fall 2013 semester has seen the revival of militant student movements in CUNY. Our movements are following in the footsteps of those who struggled in CUNY before us, in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. The struggles of the past opened up CUNY to oppressed people, but that is not the end of the story, it was only the first step. The struggle of our generation is going to be to seize CUNY for the people.
- In order to do that we must study the past. RSCC is taking up this task by hosting a study on the history of revolutionary student movements in CUNY, to enrich our struggles going forward. Come out and learn with us, as we build towards a CUNY Spring!
Those indicating their intention to attend on the Wherevent website notice of the event included Amity Magid Paye, Ayisha Irfan, Yexenia Vanegas, Shaira Chaer, Hoda Mitwally, Emily December, Emily Wynter , Stephanie Zukasaka, Sherry Cruz, Natalie Wells, Jenny Marks, Angelica Hernandez, Analisa Svehaug, Marcia Esparza, Marisa Jalo, Gargi Padki, Aber Kawas, Maha Chielo, Narish Singh, Erick Moreno, Rey Valentin, Carlos A. Rivera-Jones, Kevin Kang, Jose LaSalle, Tafadar Sourov, Khalil Vasquez, Christian Laureano Peruyero Bracero, Matt Peterson.
"Morales / Shakur Center" student suspensions event
On October 28, 2013, a City College administrator suspended Tafadar Sourov and Khalil Vasquez, two students who led demonstrations against the administration’s illegal raid and seizure of the Guillermo Morales / Assata Shakur Community Center. The Morales / Shakur Center is a space that has existed at City College for more than 20 years and was first won in 1989 through a mass student strike and occupations throughout CUNY.
- In response to the attacks on our student leaders, students and community say: WE ARE NOT AFRAID. Repression will not end the campaign to save the Morales / Shakur Center or the broader struggle to liberate CUNY for the people. Hundreds on campus and in the community will follow their example. Any punitive measures against Taffy and Khalil will only be a lesson to the people that the CCNY administration dismisses the people’s concerns and that the people must escalate their mass actions.
- Taffy and Khalil are fighting for the people, defending the last autonomous campus space that serves the community and defending the legacy of the people’s revolutionary heroes. THE PEOPLE MUST DEFEND TAFFY AND KHALIL. The people cannot stand aside and look as the City College administration attempts to isolate them and promote fake sellout student leaders who want to negotiate away the Center. The Center was won through struggle and will be reclaimed through struggle.
Revolutionary Student Coordinating Committee organized a meeting in Edgewater, 160 Convent Avenue,New York, Friday 8 November 2013, to organize resistance. Those indicating their willingness to attend on the Whenever website included Jose LaSalle.
"Speaks truth about terrorism, racism and Palestine"
Tidal Magazine June 17, 2013.
Listen to this spoken word of an angry (yes, angry!) woman of color as she speaks truth about terrorism, racism and Palestine. Listen . Like . Share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLUirMONjm0 — with Sofia Gallisa Muriente, Lamis Deek, Conor Tomas, Nariman Khalaf Rajab, Jordan Flaherty, Yasmin Hamidi, Laura Raicovich, Ashley Cunningham, Josh MacPhee, Anas Amireh, Rachel Smith, Winnie Wong, Andrew Kadi, Omar Khartabil, Jose LaSalle, Nicholas Mirzoeff, Anthony Yenafuk, Kareem Estefan, Gina Grimm Nagle, Ashe Hu, Hanan Thabet, Ravi Ahmad, Susan Gail Wilcox, Nicolas Haeringer, Ghassan Nasr, Kazembe Balagun, Raed Samara, Suzahn Ebrahimian, Amany Khalifa, Pamela Brown, Jerry Ashton, Marina Sitrin, Jed Brandt, Cindy Milstein, Manissa M. Maharawal, Summer Mamoun Husain, Nounie Hussein, Remi Kanazi, Faten Ali, Darragh Mosca Sheehan, Josephine Hilalia, Youmna El Khattam, Katherine Ramos, Amar Mamoun Husain and Omar Atway.
2 W 64th St,New York 29 October 2014, 17:30 -19:30.
Organized by : Revolutionary Student Coordinating Committee.
- Last year students were suspended, a community center was illegally shut down and the City College campus turned into a police-run campus in order to suppress the movement led by CUNY students and faculty to drive ROTC and War Criminal David Petraeus out of our university. Now the Macaulay Honors College is inviting him to speak. Let's be there to let Petraeus know that CUNY rejects imperialism and its war criminals!
Many students an others indicated they would attend on the Whenever page advertising the event. They included Sharmin Hossain, Angie De LaGhetto, Nerdeen Kiswani, Zeina Alturk, Mila Lebron, Avia Michelle, Monique Thompson, Dalilah Freeman, Meli LaSalle, Coche Bomba, Shohag Ahmed, Donnie Donilon, Hasan İncedere, Michael Bellamy, Katrina Cortes, Sabin Rene Figaro, Thalmann Pradeep Pereira, Myles Glynn, Daniela Robles Martínez, Ayumila Hilai, Khalil Antonio Vasquez, Jeff Camp, Ateo Laureano Bracero Peruyero, Erick Moreno, Scott Williams, Bernadette Ellorin, Susie Abdel, Dan Cione, Abdu Salman, Percy Lujan, Rajib Lovesramen Miah, Vishal Singh, , Marc Durougeot, Christopher Rieth, Rayn Cornielle, Louis Oprisa, Mike Legaspi, Bayu Patria, Merlin Miano Patramani, Shake Zula, Sabiha Azad, Jan Makovec, Josmar Trujillo, Kjell Gunnar Larsen, Shandell Is, Jasper Washa, Richard Finkelstein, Jared Flanery, Jose LaSalle, Behrooz Navaii, Alexi Shaaloom, Nick Maniace, Rey Valentin, Uthkarsh Dev, Owsspag Apollo, Rani Ghosson.
Solidarity Against Racism, October 14, 2015;
- With Al Osorio, Jeremy Miller, Christopherj Woods, John Earl Boyd, Jose LaSalle, Derk Brown, La Mesha Irizarry, Osagyefo Sekou, Dr. Cornel West, Efia Nwangaza and Patrick Soby.