John Conyers and Islam
- 1 Palestine Human Rights Campaign
- 2 Supporting the PLO
- 3 War Danger and the Lebanon Crisis conference
- 4 Protecting Islamic extremists
- 5 Arab American Political Action Committee
- 6 Quran resolution
- 7 Hate Crime Prevention Act
- 8 Supported Lifting the Gaza Blockade
- 9 Response to accusations regarding American Muslim spies
- 10 CAIR Michigan 2010 Banquet
- 11 Immigration forum
- 12 Letter on Iran sanctions
- 13 Praising CAIR
- 14 With Asad Zaman
- 15 Anti-Trump guest
- 16 References
John Conyers and the John Conyers and the Institute for Policy Studies. For many years John Conyers, Jr. has been linked to Islam, and the radical Arab cause.
Palestine Human Rights Campaign
A brochure came out in early 1978 announcing "A National Organizing Conference" sponsored by the Palestine Human Rights Campaign to be held on May 20-21, 1978, at American University, with the theme of "Palestinian Human Rights and Peace".
The list of "Sponsors" was a mix of a several groupings including the Communist Party USA and its sympathizers, the World Peace Council, the Hanoi Lobby, black extremists, mainly marxists, radical Christians, and Arab/Arab-American organizations, plus a few phone-booth sized pro-Palestinian Christian groups.
Individual sponsors of the event included Rep. John Conyers.
Supporting the PLO
In 1984 Jesse Jackson, John Conyers and George Crockett, were among the signers of a telegram sent by a Palestine Liberation Organization support group to President Reagan demanding "immediate sanctions against Israel."
War Danger and the Lebanon Crisis conference
On February 11 1984, Noam Chomsky addressed "The War Danger and the Lebanon Crisis-Issues For The US Peace Movement" conference, organized by the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, held at the United Methodist Building Conference Rooms, Washington, DC.
Other speakers included Dan Connell, Congressman John Conyers, Neta Crawford, Stephen Green, Robin Madrid, Rev. Paul Mayer, Jack O'Dell, Dr. Seth Tillman, Don Will, Ellen Siegel, and Dr. James Zogby.
Protecting Islamic extremists
During the first Gulf War, John Conyers fought FBI outreach efforts in the Arab and Muslim community in Detroit that were designed to gather intelligence on potential cells and protect the home front. Conyers and other Detroit-area Democrats at the time, David Bonior and John Dingell, threatened to hold hearings unless the FBI stopped counterterrorism interviews.
Arab American Political Action Committee
The second annual Arab American Political Action Committee dinner was held in 1999 and was attended by over 800 people. Osama Siblani welcomed the audience and introduced Samer Jaafar the Chairman of the Endorsement Committee. AAPAC's president Abed Hammoud delivered the organization's message and plans for the future. Congressman David Bonior, the House Minority Whip and U.S Senator Spencer Abraham delivered their addresses. Dr. Mohamad Khansa chaired the Dinner Committee.
Prominent Michigan public officials in attendance included US Senator Spencer Abraham and his wife Jane Abraham, US Congressman David Bonior and his wife Judy Bonior, US Congressman John Dingell and his wife Debbie Dingell, US Congressman Sander Levin and his wife Vicki Levin, US Congressman John Conyers, Jr., US Congresswoman Debbie Stabenow, US Congressman Joe Knollenberg, US Congresswoman Lynn Rivers, Wayne County Sheriff Robert Ficano and Eunice Confer representing U.S. Senator Carl Levin.The Arab American Political Action Committee endorsed John Conyers for the Nov. 2, 2010 elections.
The eighth annual dinner of the Arab American Political Action Committee was held on November 4, 2005 at the Binte Jebail Cultural Center in Dearborn. Present at the dinner were John Conyers and Debbie Stabenow.
Conyers also attended the ninth annual dinner which was held on Nov. 3, 2006. At the dinner, awards were presented to Conyers, Former Congresswoman Mary Rose Oakar, Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano and Ali Jawad.
May 18, 2005 the Council on American-Islamic Relations called for people of conscience to support a resolution that “recognizes that the Qur’an as any other holy book of any religion, should be treated with dignity and respect.” To be introduced by Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), the resolution also “condemns bigotry and intolerance against any religious group, including our friends, neighbors and citizens of the Islamic faith.” “This resolution expresses America’s respect for the holy texts of all faiths. If passed, it will also reiterate our nation’s condemnation of bigoted behavior and religious intolerance,” said Corey Saylor, CAIR’s government affairs director.
“It’s a winner on every front.” Saylor also noted that while Newsweek has retracted its piece asserting that U.S. interrogators threw a Quran in a toilet, former Guantanamo detainees, as well as former detainees in Afghanistan, have made similar allegations in other media reports. A resolution of this type does not have the force of law; however, it is the expression of the opinion of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Hate Crime Prevention Act
8/1/09, a representative of the Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-MI) participated in a panel discussion on the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crime Prevention Act of 2009 at St. Peter AME Zion Church in Hamtramck.
Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee Congressman John Conyers (D-MI), who is the author of the act, discussed the need for broader federal intervention in hate crimes investigations against targeted groups.
CAIR-MI Executive Director Dawud Walid spoke about the rise of hate crimes against American Muslims and others who are perceived to be Muslims, including Arab-American Christians and Sikhs, and the need for federal jurisdiction in assisting local and state hate crime investigations outside of federal property.
The panel, which was organized by the Hamtramck branch of the NAACP, also had as speakers Hamtramck NAACP President Kamal Rahman, Detroit NAACP Executive Director Hester Wheeler and ACLU-MI Attorney Jay Kaplan.
Supported Lifting the Gaza Blockade
On Jan. 27, 2010, U.S. Representatives Keith Ellison and Jim McDermott led 52 other members of Congress in signing a letter addressed to President Barack Obama, calling for him to use diplomatic pressure to resolve the blockade affecting Gaza. John Conyers and Islam was one of the signatories of the letter.  The entire letter together with a complete list of signatories can be read by clicking here.
Response to accusations regarding American Muslim spies
In October 2009, John Conyers responded to allegations from four Republican Congress Members, in the wake of the launch of the book Muslim Mafia, that the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) sought to plant Muslim "spies" in Capitol Hill. He strongly opposed the accusations, saying:
- “ It shouldn't need to be said in 2009, and after the historic election of our first African-American president, but let me remind all my colleagues that patriotic Americans of all races, religions, and beliefs have the right – and the responsibility – to participate in our political process, including by volunteering to work in Congressional offices. Numerous Muslim-American interns have served the House ably and they deserve our appreciation and respect, not attacks on their character or patriotism.
CAIR Michigan 2010 Banquet
The 2010 Michigan CAIR gala, was held on March 31, with about "1,000 attendees including many powerful audience members from the business, media, and political community". Present at this year’s fundraiser was Nihad Awad, who founded CAIR and set it up as a not-for-profit franchise operation of sorts, with now branch offices across the country to advocate for Muslims.
- But the real jewels in the crown of the 2010 CAIR Michigan fundraiser were the civil rights workers who for sixty years have been deeply involved at their own personal peril with the struggle for civil rights in the USA.
Jesse Jackson , the keynote speaker, was one of those. But there was also Rep. John Conyers (D-MI-14), whom Jackson described as “perhaps the only man who was ever endorsed by Martin Luther King.” There was Rep. John Dingell (D-MI-15). There were many others, including the strong gubernatorial candidate Virg Bernero (currently Lansing’s mayor).
The ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee Congressman John Conyers, Jr. held a forum on 6/30/11 to address recent actions of Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) against immigrants, legal residents and U.S. citizens in Metro Detroit.
Community members gave public statements regarding being negatively effected by ICE interactions.
Letter on Iran sanctions
The National Iranian American Council commended Rep. James Moran (D-VA) and "all twenty-one Members of Congress who sent a letter to President Obama April 4, 2014, supporting necessary action to ensure medicine and humanitarian goods are not unintentionally blocked for the Iranian people. NIAC strongly supported the letter and has consistently worked to raise awareness regarding the impact of sanctions on the Iranian people"...
- The preliminary nuclear agreement brokered by the P5+1 and Iran included an agreement to establish a financial channel to facilitate humanitarian trade; however, medicine shortages have continued in part due to extensive financial sanctions on Iran and the reported unwillingness of banks to facilitate legal, humanitarian transactions.
Signers: James P. Moran (D-VA), Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Andre Carson (D-IN), William Lacy Clay (D-MO), John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI), Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Keith Ellison (D-MN), Sam Farr (D-CA), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rush Holt, Jr. (D-NJ), Mike Honda (D-CA), Hank Johnson (D-GA), Barbara Lee (D-CA), Betty McCollum (D-MN), Jim McDermott (D-WA), James McGovern (D-MA), Gregory Meeks (D-NY), Beto O'Rourke (D-TX), Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Charles B. Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL).
With Asad Zaman
Imam Asad Zaman July 27, 2016;
- With Congressman John Conyers, the last giant living legend of the civil rights movement.
- In the last three days, I have met, conversed with and sat with over a hundred celebrities, politicians and people who thought they were very important. This is the first person I have been excited to get a picture with. He is sitting 2 feet away from me. Wow!
Rep. John Conyers didn’t attend President Donald Trump’s inauguration January 2017, but the Detroit Democrat plans to be at Trump’s first address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday night.
To make a point, he will be accompanied by Nabih Ayad, the lead attorney for the Arab American Civil Rights League who filed suit in Detroit challenging the constitutionality of Trump’s first proposed travel ban.
Conyers and several other Democrats are bringing guests to the speech who have spoken out about or would be personally affected by Trump’s immigration policies or by GOP plans to repeal the Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare.
Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Dearborn, will take Phoebe Hopps of Traverse City, an activist who helped organize the Michigan contingent of the women’s march in Washington and the protest against Trump’s travel ban at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.
- Communists in the Democratic Party, page 41
- Conference flyer
- [INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILYPosted 11/9/2006]
- AAPAC: Second Annual Dinner (accessed on Feb. 15, 2011)
- AAPAC website, Oct. 26, 2010 (accessed on Feb. 15, 2011)
- AAPAC: AAPAC 8th Annual Dinner, Dec. 5, 2005 (accessed on Feb. 15, 2011)
- AAPAC: AAPAC 9th Annual Dinner, Oct. 31, 2006 (accessed on Feb. 15, 2011)
- Chicago, SUPPORT H. RES. CONDEMNING RELIGIOUS BIGOTRYMay 18, 2005
- Local Law Enforcement Hate Crime Prevention Act of 2009
- The Minnesota Independent: Ellison, McCollum and Oberstar urge Obama to lift Gaza blockade, Jan. 26, 2010 (accessed on March 14, 2011)
- [O'Brien, Michael (October 15, 2009). "Conyers blasts GOP lawmakers' accusations of Muslim 'spies' – The Hill's Blog Briefing Room". Thehill.com. Retrieved August 23, 2010.]
- [http://muslimmedianetwork.com/mmn/?p=6000 The Muslim Observer, CAIR Michigan’s Watershed Annual Banquet, April 1, 2010 by TMO By Adil James
- Jun 30th 2011 CAIR-MI Joins Immigration Rally With Rep. John Conyers
- [https://www.niacouncil.org/congress-urges-president-to-ensure-sanctions-do-not-block-medicine-for-iranians/NIAC Congress Urges President to Ensure Sanctions Do Not Block Medicine for Iranians FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Jamal Abdi]
- [https://www.cair.com/images/pdf/What-They-Say-About-CAIR.pdf What They Say About CAIR (October 2014)
- Detroit News, Dems challenge Trump with guests for address Melissa Nann Burke, Detroit News Washington Bureau Published 11:57 p.m. ET Feb. 27, 2017