- 1 Party member
- 2 Communist youth festivals
- 3 CPUSA Organization Commission
- 4 Black Radical Congress
- 5 Endorsed Communist Party Call
- 6 Political Affairs
- 7 "The Life & Legacy of Nelson Mandela"
- 8 Peoples World 2015
- 9 African American Equality Commission
- 10 Beyond Shell Shock
- 11 New member phone bank
- 12 References
Communist youth festivals
- At the first festival I was 15 years old. It changed my life and way of thinking. I had such a great time! I would go and sit on corner in Berlin with a beer and hot dog and immediately there would be a crowd of people around me, wanting to talk and exchange views. What a party. I made many friends there, some of which I still have today. At my first Festival I was a young kid from Youngstown, Ohio. That was all I knew. Going to the Festival opened up a whole new world to me. Its impact was lasting. It made me an internationalist. The highlight of my trip to Berlin was crossing the border into the eastern part of the city and seeing the decorations and banners of the festival, the red flags waving, and statues of founders of socialism. All of us cheered. The US delegation has changed over the years I went. Each moment represented the times, cultures and styles of the period. When I first attended I had a big unruly Afro. At the last Festival, my hairline had already started to recede. That's life!
- What remained consistent however was the broad and representative nature of each delegation. There were always young trade unionists, students, young Democrats, socialists and communist youth. Some delegations had representatives of prominent civil rights families, like the King family, and others had elected officials. All the delegates represented a strong desire for peace and understanding and solidarity with others. At the Moscow Festival our slogan was "The friendship of young generations, can bring peace among nations.
- A U.S. State Department official was once quoted as saying that the Festivals were “the greatest plot ever hatched from the mind of Stalin. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Festivals came out of the experience of the World War and the desire to make sure nothing like that ever happens again. The Festival movement’s greatest contribution has been to bring forward young peace and solidarity supporters who remain active over the years. Once you attend a Festival, the experience never leaves you.
CPUSA Organization Commission
As at March 1994, the following were members of the Organization Commission of the Communist Party USA: Sam Webb, chair; Pat Barile; Judith LeBlanc; Carole Marks; Elena Mora; Esther Moroze; and Joe Sims.
Black Radical Congress
Endorsed Communist Party Call
On March 30 2002 the Communist Party USA paper People’s Weekly World called for a national holiday in honor of late Farm Workers Union leader Cesar Chavez. The article was followed by a long list of endorsersincluding Joe Sims, Almost all endorsers were confirmed members of the Communist Party USA.
"The Life & Legacy of Nelson Mandela"
Tuesday, December 17 2013, the Communist Party USA held a special People's World teleconference presentation on the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela. People's World co-editor Joe Sims and Communist Party International Secretary Emile Schepers with host Dee Myles discussed "this historic and global figure in the fight for freedom".
Joe Sims has traveled frequently to South Africa since the unbanning of the African National Congress and the South African Communist Party , and has written and reported extensively on South African developments. Sims is From Ohio and lives in New York City.
Peoples World 2015
- Editorial Board Co-editors - Joe Sims, Sue Webb, Terrie Albano, John Wojcik
- Mundo Popular - Rossana Cambron, Barbara Russum
- Labor Editor - John Wojcik
- Managing Editors - Barbara Russum, Blake Deppe
- Business Manager - Jenn Delgado
- Technology Coordinator - Earchiel Johnson
- Copy Editor - Eric Gordon
African American Equality Commission
Beyond Shell Shock
Beyond Shell Shock: Labor after the Trump disaster was hosted by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday, February 26 at 8 PM - 9:30 PM.
- Join us in this webcast to take a hard look at the place we're in as a labor movement - and consider how we can make the labor movement be a leading force in the resistance to Trump and the fight for a better world.
- What's our strategy? What kinds of alliances do we need? Do we just play defense?
- In the face of National Right to Work, vicious attacks on workers of color in and out of the workplace, escalating divisions in the AFLCIO and the Democratic Party, and more we've got our work cut out for us. Let's figure out how to win.
Those invited included Joe Sims.
New member phone bank
New member phone bank Public · Hosted by Communist Party USA.
Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 11 AM - 4 PM EDT
Your living room
- We're organizing a phonebank to our new members on Saturday and we need your help. The callfire service allow you to make the calls from home, using your smartphone, laptop or deskstop. You'll get a real charge from talking to them! Aint' nuthin like it!! Please click "going" if you can make calls! Thanks!
Those saying they went, on Facebook included Joe Sims .
- [April 29, 1982 edition of the Daily World, By MIKE GIOCONDO]
- The Festival Movement: We Were There!Dynamic Magazine Back Issues 2005 - August
- Political Affairs, March 1994
- BRC Today Vol 1,Issue 4 p 11
- BRC Today Vol 1, issue 4, Spring 2000-01 page 1
- PW,Join us Tuesday to discuss the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela, by: Special to PeoplesWorld.org December 13 2013
- PW contact, accessed October 2015
- American Equality Commission Communist Party USA FaceBook group. accessed July 10, 2015