- 1 Activist life
- 2 Education
- 3 College activism
- 4 Progressive salute
- 5 Communist Party's May Day Salute
- 6 Endorsing Communist Party call
- 7 Activism
- 8 Tucson Peace Action Coalition
- 9 Arizona "progressive" community
- 10 Eva Carrillo Dong reception with communists
- 11 Tucson JwJ affiliate
- 12 Salt of the Earth Labor College
- 13 Peace Fair
- 14 References
Joe Bernick, the longtime director of the Salt of the Earth Labor College. Born in Minnesota, Joe spent most of his childhood in the recently-occupied Palestine, returning to Minnesota in the early 1960s to finish high school. He became active in the civil rights, peace and Palestine justice movement, and worked in Minneapolis factories, where he was active in the Iron Workers and Teamsters unions.
He and his wife, Cat Stelman, moved to Tucson in 1980. He worked for a decade as a school custodian, was Vice President of his AFT local, and remains active in Jobs with Justice. He was mentored by the great Communist leaders, Lorenzo Torrez and Anita Torrez, veterans of the strike depicted in the film, and helped found the Salt of the Earth Labor College in 1993. 
University of ND, JD, Law 1970 – 1974
Moorhead State College. BA, Political Activism, 1965 – 1969
Joe Bernick, persuaded Moorhead State College in Minnesota to recognize a Students for a Democratic Society chapter on the campus, 1966.
In April, 1966 -- After much debate, SDS is granted a charter as a student organization.
February, 1968 -- Political and social difference emerge during the Student Senate elections; one candidate denies having suggested that "John Neumaier and [Joe] Bernick are members of a subversive Jewish organization," or saying that Bernick "hates all Christians." Bernick is defeated in the subsequent election.
In May 1992, the Communist Party USA newspaper, Peoples Weekly World published a May Day supplement. This included a signed greeting from "Southern Arizona's progressive community", most of who were known Communist Party USA members.
One of the signatories was Joe Bernick..
Communist Party's May Day Salute
In 1995 the Communist Party USA newspaper People's Weekly World, published a "May Day salute" to the "heroes in the class war zone". More than 200 unionists endorsed the call, mostly known affiliates, or members of the Communist Party.
Endorsing Communist Party call
Of the more than 100 endorsers listed, almost all were identified members of the Communist Party USA.
Joe Bernick, active in the peace movement since 1964, grew up in the Middle East and has traveled to Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey and Tunisia. He is involved in the Arizona Peace Council, Tucson Peace Action Community, the Tucson Peace Center and Salt of the Earth Labor College.
Tucson Peace Action Coalition
- Joe Bernick, the hard-working force behind Tucson Peace Action Coalition--the group behind most major local rallies
Arizona "progressive" community
- Arizona’s progressive community extends May Day and Cinco de Mayo greetings to all our friends across the country. We commit ourselves to join the struggle for jobs, equality, national health care, a fair immigration policy, and for peace and justice in the Middle East. Let’s make this planet a good place to live for all its inhabitants.
Arizona Peace Council, AZ4NORML, Campaign for Labor Rights, The Einstein Academy, Casa Maria/Catholic Worker East Valley Club Communist Party USA, Law Office of Payson & Gattone, The Latino Doctrine (TV show) Revolutionary Grounds Books and Coffee, Salt of the Earth Labor College Tucson Club CPUSA , Tucson Peace Action Coalition
Clyde Appleton, Mary Elinor Adams, Rolande Baker, Anne Brenner, Joe Bernick and Cat Stelman, Nancy Bissell, Jack Blawis, Don Buchanan, Richard Boren, Susan Clark, Rebeca Cartes, Eugenia Chilton, Jack DeWeese, Howard Druan, & DD Sande, Gregory Feesl, Ray Figueroa, Brian Flagg, Michael Flower, Sean Fowlkes, Nancy Gallen, Maggie Gerring, Michael Gray, Nancy Graham, James Hannley, Beverly Halkias, Jeff Imig, Mansur Johnson, James Jordan & Raquel Mogollon, Frank Jents, Marilyn Kramer, John Kromko, Jim Kincaid, Brandy Lintencum, Rob McElwain, Mary MacEwan, John Mackoviak, Jane Martin & Bob Vint, Jon Miles, Nancy Myers, Kathy Norgard, Richard Osburn, Ismael Parra, Nancy Pontius , Alice Ritter, Carlos Salaz, Sr., Mazda Shirazi, Rosemary Solarez, James Stewart, Brian Stevens, Olga Strickland, Donald Tewels, Dennis Tallent & Laura Tallent, Anita Torrez & Lorenzo Torrez, Carolyn Trowbridge & Keith Bagwell, Susan Thorpe, Steve Valencia & Janet Valencia, Edward Vargas, Steve Wheaton, Michael Wheeler, Susan Willis , Wendell Wilson, Deb Wilmer.
Eva Carrillo Dong reception with communists
On Wednesday, 15 September 2010, a reception in support of Eva Carrillo Dong was held Rigo's Mexican Restaurant 2527 South 4th Avenue Tucson, AZ.
Key attendess included Salvador Barajas, Sunnyside School Board Member Magdalena Barajas, Rolande Baker, Joe Bernick, Mary Carmen Donaldson, Hon. Dan Eckstrom, County Supervisor Richard Elias, Tucson City Council Member Richard Fimbres, TUSD Board Member Adelita Grijalva, James Hannley, Rigoberto Lopez, Raul Nido, Laura Portillo, Manuel E. Portillo, Tucson City Council Member Regina Romero, Albert Siqueiros, Janet L. Valencia and Steve Valencia. Baker, Bernick, Hannley and both Valencias were all affiliated with the Arizona District Communist Party USA.
Tucson JwJ affiliate
- Please plan to attend our next Jobs with Justice meeting.
- Location: American Postal Workers Union office, 2937 E. 22nd Street, just west of Country Club, north side of street
- 1. Labor solidarity: Communication Workers of America at American Airlines, learn about the organizing campaign from
Lee Ortega, organizer and how we can help.
- 2. The fight to save our Cherrybell Post Office, review of rally, march and hearing to save this processing plant and solidarity with the American Postal Workers Union, Tucson Area Local
- 3. The fight for Jobs!
Recipients included Joe Bernick.
Salt of the Earth Labor College
Salt of the Earth Labor College 2014 speakers included;
- March 22nd, HOW ABOUT A SOCIALIST USA? , Workshop/Panel with local activists Carolyn Trowbridge, Joe Bernick, and Dereka Rushbrook.
- Joe Bernick LinkedIn page, accessed July 2, 2011
- Joe Bernick LinkedIn page, accessed July 2, 2011
- MSU through the decades website, accessed July 2, 2012
- Peeoples Weekly World May 2 1992, May Day supplement
- People's Weekly World May 6 1995 p 2
- People's Weekly World Sep 2 1995 p 14
- Tucson, November 03, 2005, Guest Commentary By Jeneiene Schaffer
- Eva Carrillo Dong facebook page, accessed September 23, 2011
- OccupyTucson PR/Outreach Working Group› Fw: Jobs with Justice Meeting, Thurs. January 12th
- SELC, Class Schedule for Spring 2014