- 1 2001 DSA leadership
- 2 DSA’s Cuba Letter
- 3 Democratic Socialists of America
- 4 United for Peace and Justice Affiliation
- 5 Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- 6 DSA Renegotiate NAFTA petition
- 7 NYC DSA steering committee
- 8 New Politics
- 9 DSA NPC member
- 10 Campaign for Peace and Democracy
- 11 Generation Left
- 12 NYC DSA
- 13 Left Labor Project Presents: What Happened? What Now?
- 14 External links
- 15 References
Jason Schulman, was, in 2004, active in the NYC local of Democratic Socialists of America and was a doctoral candidate in the political science program at the City University of New York Graduate Center. He has written for New Politics, Science & Society, Logos, and Radical Society.
2001 DSA leadership
Nineteen people ran for the sixteen National Political Committee positions elected at the 2001 Democratic Socialists of America Convention. The winners were:
- Theresa Alt, Ithaca
- Susan Chacin, Berkeley
- Eric Ebel, Ann Arbor
- Virginia Franco, San Diego
- David Green, Detroit
- Gabe Kramer, Columbus
- Selina Musuta, Ithaca
- Gina Neff, New York City
- Angel Picon, Stockton
- Maria Pineda, Davis
- Kathy Quinn, Philadelphia
- Jason Schulman, New York City
- Joseph Schwartz, Ithaca
- Timothy Sears, Oakland
- Jessica Shearer, New York City
- Herb Shore, San Diego
DSA’s Cuba Letter
Jason Schulman signed an April 2003 Statement on Cuba, initiated and circulated by prominent Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) member Leo Casey, calling for the lifting of trade sanctions against Cuba.
- “a statement circulating among democratic left/socialist folks, largely by members of Democratic Socialists of America, condemning the recent trials and convictions of non-violent dissenters in Cuba”.
The petition criticized Cuba's poor human rights record, but shared the blame for Cuba's problems with reactionary elements of the U.S. administration...
- The democratic left worldwide has opposed the U.S. embargo on Cuba as counterproductive, more harmful to the interests of the Cuban people than helpful to political democratization. The Cuban state's current repression of political dissidents amounts to collaboration with the most reactionary elements of the U.S. administration in their efforts to maintain sanctions and to institute even more punitive measures against Cuba.
Many of the petition's 120 odd signatories were known members of DSA.
Democratic Socialists of America
In 2004 Jason Schulman was activein the NYC local of Democratic Socialists of America and was a doctoral candidate in the political science program at the City University of New York Graduate Center. He has written for New Politics, Science & Society, Logos, and Radical Society.
Economic Crisis Group
In 2009 DSA member Rob Saute was the primary mover behind the establishment of NYC DSA Economic Crisis Group, which has since attracted the active participation of Karie Gubbins, Jason Schulman, Michael Hirsch, Itzhak Epstein, Peter Frase, and Chris Maisano.
- The NYC DSA Economic Crisis Group seeks to study the reasons why the current economic crisis happened and possible ways in which the local, national, global economies can be restructured along more democratic and egalitarian lines.
- It will attempt to use such understandings to conduct economic organizing in New York City, produce a small number of short pieces of popular literature on the crisis, and conduct public educational fora that will advance an analysis and program of action that reflects the ideological and political orientation of DSA in the broad left, which could use an infusion of the kind of visionary yet pragmatic radicalism that is our organization’s hallmark. Such activities will also be aimed at recruiting new members who are interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the causes and consequences of the crisis and who are open to embracing the particular intellectual and political contribution DSA can make. We believe that these goals are achievable, and that any socialist organization worth its salt should have a theoretical and practical program concerning the deepest crisis of capitalism in 80 years.
United for Peace and Justice Affiliation
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
DSA Renegotiate NAFTA petition
NYC DSA steering committee
In 2009 New York City Democratic Socialists of America elected a new steering committee, with Maria Svart as chair, Chris Maisano as secretary, Kenny Schaeffer as treasurer, David Yap as membership coordinator, and Jason Schulman as at large member.
DSA NPC member
- Theresa Alt
- David Duhalde
- Stuart Elliott
- Virginia Franco
- Paul Garver
- David Green
- Seth Hutchinson
- Barbara Joye
- Simone Morgen
- Michele Rossi
- Jason Schulman
- Joseph Schwartz
- Herb Shore
- Maria Svart
- Rannfrid Thelle
Campaign for Peace and Democracy
February 12-14, 2016, in New York. The Young Democratic Socialists conference, “Generation Left: Millennials Building the Next Socialist Movement,” will be held at the Mayday Community Space, 176 St. Nicholas Avenue, Brooklyn.
Fighting the Neoliberal University
- Dustin Guastella, Greater Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America
- Mindy Isser, Fight for Fifteen and Service Employees International Union
- Jason Schulman, New York City Democratic Socialists of America/ or Adam Goldman
- Jared Abbott, Boston Democratic Socialists of America - Moderator
In 2016 Jason Schulman was a member of NYC Democratic Socialists of America. He signed the Give The People What They Want: DSA Members on 2016 and Beyond letter.
Left Labor Project Presents: What Happened? What Now?
Left Labor Project Presents: What Happened? What Now? Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 6 PM - 9 PM, 310 W 43rd St, New York.
A converastion with Bill Fletcher, Jr., international activist and co-author of Solidarity Divided: The crisis in organized labor and a new path toward social justice.
RSVPS included Jason Schulman .
- http://www.dsausa.org/dl/Spring_2004.pdf Democratic Left • Spring 2004]
-  Democratic Left, Winter 2002, page 5
- NYC DSA website June 5, 2009
- Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- Renegotiate NAFTA website: Signatories to the petition to President Barack Obama, April 16, 2008
- Democratic Left, Summer 2009
-  DSA 2009 National Convention Evanston, Illinois November 13-15, 2009 report, DSA website, accessed June 11, 2010