Jane Slaughter is a Detroit based activist.
Early NAM leadership
In 1971, the New American Movement National Interim Committee was composed of:
- Lynn North, Ann Arbor Mich.
- Harry Boyte, Chapel Hill, No. Carolina
- Martha Williams, Wash. DC
- Harold Henderson, Peoria, Ill.
- Marjorie Fields, New York City
- Staughton Lynd, Chicago, Ill
- Diana Adams, Cleveland, Ohio
- Frank Speltz, Davenport Iowa
Travelers for NAM:
NAM first national conference
The first national meeting of the New American Movement was held in Chicago October 9-11. Up to 75 delegates and observers from 25 cities participated. The meeting laid the basis for a Thanksgiving conference on program in Chicago. The politiçal principles, program, and structure of the organization were discussed;
At the conference, a body mandated a committee to write a shorter version of the original NAM document in a style, adapted to mass distribution. People elected to this committee were:
- Diana Adams (Cleveland, Ohio),
- Jeremy Rifkin (Washington, D;C;),
- Jane Slaughter of the national staff,
- Karen Whitman (Baltimore, Md.),
- Michael Lerner (Berkeley, Calif),
- Alice Lynd (Chicago, Ill),
- Harry Boyte (Chapel Hill, N.C.).
The committee was mandated to have the basic document written by October 23.1971
Jane Slaughter is a former member of the International Socialist Organization.
History of Labor Notes
Labor Notes was founded in 1979, just as the attack on the American working class was about to shift into high gear. The three founders – Jane Slaughter, Kim Moody and Jim West – were members of the International Socialists.
Socialist Scholars 1997
The conference was themed "Radical alternatives on the eve of the millenium".
Invitees were asked to join Doug Henwood, Robert Heilbroner, Paul Sweezy, Harry Magdoff, Bill Tabb, Frances Fox Piven, Robert Fitch, Jane Slaughter and Ellen Meiksins Wood "as they debate changes in the labor movement, Marxist theory, the state of the economy, market socialism, and other areas where theory and practice meet".
Or "listen to the United States' only independent and socialist congressman", Rep. Bernie Sanders, "dialogue with" Joel Rogers of the New Party and In These Times' ....Salim Muwakkil on independent politics...
Center for Labor Renewal
Against the Current
"Real World Labor"
At the United States Social Forum in Detroit , a forum was held "Presente! Left Movement Veterans Discuss the Path to Power and the Role of the Left in the US" June 24th from 3:00pm to 5:00pm at Cobo Hall.
- Description: Long-time activists Bill Gallegos, Lian Hurst Mann, Chokwe Lumumba, Jane Slaughter, Linda Burnham, and Pam Tau Lee join other Leftists that have plied their trade for over 30 years in an urgent discussion on the role of the left in today’s social movements. 
Philly DSA/Solidarity Day School 2018
Solidarity x DSA Day School Program
Working Class & Labor History
Why should socialists focus on the working class? Are unions a vessel for political power, or are they bloated bureaucracies? What are the successes and failures of the rank & file strategy in labor movement since the 1970s? Stephanie Luce (CUNY, Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies), Jane Slaughter (Labor Notes, Solidarity, Greater Detroit Democratic Socialists of America), and Dan La Botz (NYC – DSA, Solidarity, Founding Member for Teamsters for a Democratic Union).
- New American Movement newspaper Vol. 1/No. 2 1971
- From New American Movement, Nov,-Dec, 1971
- [https://rdln.wordpress.com/2018/04/15/the-beating-heart-of-the-labor-movement-report-on-the-2018-labor-notes-conference/ Redline “The beating heart of the labor movement”: report on the 2018 Labor Notes conference Posted: April 15, 2018]
- About Against the Current
- TYR, Sep. 2009
- Us Out at the US Social Forum! Posted on Saturday May 29th, 2010
- USSF program, accessed November 2015
- [ https://solidarity-us.org/files/Soli-DSA-program.pdf ]