- 1 Marching with MLK
- 2 GI Civil Liberties Defense Committee
- 3 Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights
- 4 Communist Party member
- 5 World Peace Council
- 6 Chicago Peace Council
- 7 Harold Washington for Mayor of Chicago
- 8 Ishmael Flory tribute
- 9 CoC National Conference endorser
- 10 Committees of Correspondence
- 11 88th birthday tribute
- 12 References
Jack D. Spiegel was a Chicago socialist. He died in 2000. He was married to Ruth Spiegel.
Marching with MLK
GI Civil Liberties Defense Committee
Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights
In 1970, the Board of Directors of the then Communist Party USA front Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights consisted of Rev. Frederic E. Sau, Harry Barnard, Boris Brail, Edward Carey, Milt Cohen, Ernest DeMaio , Rev.William D. Faw, Richard Galloway, Prof. Charles H. George, Prof. Margaret Y. George, Ben Green, Pearl Hart, Dr. Hyman J. Hirshfield, David C. Jensen, Daniel Kaufman, Rev. S. Hunter Leggitt, Harry Mack, Rev. Daniel J. Malette, Lafayette Marsh, Rev. Francis J. McGrath, Akiro Makino , Ruth Muench, Isadore Pomerantz, Jesse Prosten, Don Rose, Norman Roth, Dr. Boris Rubenstein, Evelyn Salk, Thomas Slater, Walter Soroka, Jack Spiegel, Prof. William Starr, Lynward Stevenson, Edmonia Swanson, Gil Terry, Rev.C. T. Vivian, Otto Wander, Rabbi Burr Yampol, Dr. Quentin Young.
Communist Party member
On February 8 and 9, 1975, the Second National Conference in Solidarity with Chile was held at Concordia Teachers College in the Chicago suburb of River Forest. Known Communist Party USA members sponsoring the event included 
World Peace Council
- We publish in this booklet a list of members of the World Peace Council elected at the Council's Session in Warsaw in 1977.
Chicago Peace Council
Harold Washington for Mayor of Chicago
Circa late 1982, members of the Citizens Committee/Harold Washington for Mayor of Chicago (in formation) included Jack Spiegel.
Ishmael Flory tribute
Margaret Burroughs, a board member of the Chicago Park District MCed the event.
"Ishmael Flory is a man for all seasons...He never gives up", said State Senator Alice Palmer.
Alderman Jesus Garcia of Chicago's 22nd ward cited Flory's role in fostering African-American and Latino unity , and in building multi-racial coalitions for social progress.
Prof. Robert Starks of the Free South Africa Movement said "Ishmael has never failed to compliment me on my speeches, but at the same time he has never failed to pull me aside afterwards, too point out how I could have been a little more "progressive."
Other speakers included Crystal Bujol for the Flory family, long time friend Christine Johnson, Jack Spiegel of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers Union, Ronelle Mustin, peace activist Sarah Staggs, Harold Rogers, who brought greetings from Rep. Charles Hayes, Gerry Oliver, and Carl Bloice of the Peoples Weekly World.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Jack Spiegel, peace activist, Chicago endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Committees of Correspondence
On February 26 1994 a Midwest Regional Meeting of Committees of Correspondence was held at West Lafayette Indiana.
Participants included Jack Spiegel, Chicago, Illinois.
88th birthday tribute
Chicago Committees of Correspondence held a tribute banquet to 88 year old member Jack Spiegel, on October 3, 19993, with 250 in attendance.
special guest included State Senator Jesus Garcia, Alderman Helen Shiller, Harold Rogers from the Coalition of Black Trade Unionists, Carole Travis from the UAW, Larry Reagan from the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union, Bernice Bild from the Coalition for New Priorities, Camille Odeh, from the Coalition of Palestinian Women and Meca Sorrentini from the Puerto Rican Socialist Party
- Undated, GI Civil Liberties Defense Committee letterhead circa 1969
- Full text of "The nationwide drive against law enforcement intelligence operations : hearing before the Subcommittee to Investigate the Administration of the Internal Security Act and Other Internal Security Laws of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-fourth Congress, first session page 151
- Hearings before the Subcommittee to investigate the administration of the Internal Security Act, U.S. Senate, 94th congress part 2 July, 1975 (page 182
- WORLD PEACE COUNCIL LIST OF MEMBERS 1977-1980, Information Centre of the World Peace Council Lönnrotinkatu 25 A 5 krs 00180 Helsinki 18 Finland
- Chicago Peace Council"SEND-OFF"letter April-6-1979
- Undated circa late 1982, HWAC Mayoral Campaign Records, Box 5, Folder 1
- PWW, Chicago tribute hails work of Ishmael FloryOctober 12, 1991, page 8
- CCDS Background
- COC Midwest Regional Meeting running sheet
- Chicago CoC "Membership, Subscription and Mailing List" 10.14.94
- CoC Corresponder Vol4 No 5 p3
- CoC newletter, Oct./Dec. 1993, page 5