"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Henry Giroux of McMaster University signed the statement.
Initiators include (list in formation):
- Bill Ayers, activist, educator
- Herb Boyd, activist, author, journalist and teacher
- Isabel Cardenas, Salvadoran-American activist, Los Angeles
- Carl Dix, founding member, Revolutionary Communist Party, USA
- Niles Eldredge, evolutionary biologist
- Charles Gaines, visual artist
- Henry Giroux
- Chase Iron Eyes
- Everett Iron Eyes, Sr., Water Administrator, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
- Robin D. G. Kelley, Gary B. Nash Professor of American History at UCLA*
- Fran Luck, Executive Producer of Joy of Resistance, Multicultural Feminist Radio at WBAI
- PZ Myers, evolutionary developmental biologist
- Arturo O’Farrill, composer and musician
- Milton Saier, PhD, Professor of Molecular Biology, UCSD*
- Yusef Salaam, one of the Central Park Five
- Ted Sirota, jazz musician
- Sunsara Taylor, writer, Revolution Newspaper
- Cornel West, writer, professor
- Michael A. Wood, Jr.
- Rev. Frank Wulf, United Methodist minister
- Andy Zee, spokesperson, Revolution Books
- David Zeiger, filmmaker