- 1 New American Movement leadership
- 2 New American Movement 10th convention
- 3 New American Movement
- 4 Tribute to Ben Dobbs
- 5 Democratic Socialists of America founding conference
- 6 Austin DSA newsletter
- 7 Texas DSA State Meeting
- 8 DSA Feminist Commission
- 9 "Day of the Fallen"
- 10 Medicare event
- 11 Austin Beloved Community memories
- 12 TARA
- 13 Thomas Grace meeting
- 14 Austin DSA national conference delegate
- 15 Protesting Health Bill
- 16 Democratic Socialists of America Unity
- 17 DSA Labor Statement of Support for Danny Fetonte
- 18 Austin DSA Socialist Feminist Book Club
- 19 DSA comrades
- 20 2017 Austin DSA leadership
- 21 Left Up To US Closed Facebook group
- 22 Texas DSA - Red State Rising
- 23 Austin DSA comrades
- 24 References
Glenn Scott was a Labor Rep. at National Nurses United/National Nurses Organizing Committee. She died of cancer circa October 2018.
New American Movement leadership
Attendees at the Expanded National Interim Committee of the New American Movement January 2-4, 1976 in Pittsburgh, PA included;
RIC representatives -Ellen Sugg (Port City Chapter, Industrial Heartland Region), Mel Tanzman (Brooklyn Chapter, Northeast Region), Joni Rabinowitz (Pittsburgh Chapter, Industrial Heartland Region), Noel Ignatin (Sojourner Truth Chapter, Midwest Region), Rick Kunnes (Ann Arbor Chapter Industrial Heartland Region), Dorothy Healey ( L.A. #4, Southwest Region), John Judis (East Bay Chapter, Northwest Region), Lee Holstein (Haymarket Chapter, Midwest Region), Laura Burns (Radcliffe/Harvard Chapter, Northeast Region), Dan Marschall (East Bay Chapter, Northwest Region), Glenn Scott (Austin Chapter, Southern Region), Alice Allgaier (St. Louis Chapter, Midwest Region), Dave McBride (Austin, Southern Region), Mark Cohen (Southern Region, Hal Adams ( Iowa City, Midwest Region);
New American Movement 10th convention
In 1981 Glenn Scott, Chair of the Commission led a workshop entitled Anti-Racist Commission at the 10th Convention of the New American Movement. The convention was held in a union headquarters in Chicago and ran from July 29 - August 2, 1981.
Scott also spoke alongside Mike Rotkin, Santa Cruz NAM; Steve Tarzynski, Chair, Health Commission and Randy Cunningham, Chair, Urban Commission led a workshop entitled Pieces of State Power: Urban Electoral Coalitions.
New American Movement
In 1981 the NAM national interim committee consisted of;
Bill Barclay (PC), Laura Berg (Portland NAM), Holly Graff (PC), John Haer (Pittsburgh NAM), Rick Kunnes (PC), Halli Lehrer (Chicago Northside NAM), Christine Riddiough (Blazing Star NAM), Glenn Scott (Austin NAM), and Steve Tarzynski (Los Angelos NAM), Robert Shaffer (New York NAM).
Tribute to Ben Dobbs
On Sunday, June 7, 1981, the Los Angeles Chapter of the New American Movement sponsored a Tribute to Ben Dobbs for "His lifelong commitment to socialism". The event was held at the Miramar-Sheraton Hotel, Santa Monica, California. Sponsors of the event included Glenn Scott.
Democratic Socialists of America founding conference
Glenn Scott New American Movement was a moderator of the day one "Unity Session" of the Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee/New American Movement Unity Conference in Detroit March 21/22 1982, that resulted in the formation of Democratic Socialists of America.
In 1982 Noticias (Austin Democratic Socialists of America newsletter) production staff were Richard Croxdale, Kevin Batt, Walter Skinner, Gary Jordan, Carol Nash, Anne Archer, Jim Ratcliff, Scott Van Osdol, Glenn Scott, Gary Kline, Paul Mitchell, Todd Samusson.
Texas DSA State Meeting
A Texas Democratic Socialists of America State Meeting "Priorities for 1984 and Beyond" July 9 was held Education Building, Akiva Room.
- Rhonda Williams, Prof Economics UT Austin
- Timothy Sears, Bricklayers Union Houston
- Janice Heine, AFSC Texas/OK
- Larry Smith, College of the Mainland, Galveston
- Diana Osborne, Houston Organizing Project
- Ben Levy, Circuit Judge Houston
- Glenn Scott, DSA National Executive
- Norm Glickman, LBJ School UT Austin
- Rose Brewer, Sociology UT Austin
- Linn Rodriguez, CISPES
DSA Feminist Commission
In 1985, Jan Breidenbach, Angie Fa, Nancy Kleniewski, Josephine Martinez, Lillie McLaughlin, Penny Schantz and Glenn Scott of Texas were listed on the National Executive of the Feminist Commission of the Democratic Socialists of America.
In 1986 she was listed as a member of the Commission.
"Day of the Fallen"
“Texas does not have to be the state with the highest death rate nor with the highest rate of injuries in construction. The legislature can turn this around by adopting our legislative agenda for better safety and health for the workers who build Texas. That is why we are here today,” Worker’s Defense Project Executive Director Cristina Tsintzun said at a rally on February 25, 2015.
One thousand construction workers and supporters marched to the Texas State Capitol on a cold, blustery day in late February to call for stronger safety and health protections. The march was sponsored by the Workers Defense Project to dramatize the high number of deaths and injuries suffered by construction workers in Texas. The Austin American-Statesman did not cover it at all. Telemundo gave the march and the rally professional coverage.
Among them were Monserrat Garibay (Education Austin), Becky Moeller (President, Texas AFL-CIO), The Rag Blog‘s Glenn Scott (retired National Nurses United organizer) and Alice Embree (Texas State Employees Union).
According to Glenn Scott, President of the Austin Chapter of Texas Alliance for Retired Americans: "Austin Reports a Terrific Medicare Event", June 2015;
- We had a terrific event on Saturday. We have put Austin TARA on the Austin/Central Texas political and advocacy map! Over 147 people attended the event which means we met our goal of 150! In part due to Congressman Doggett's great reputation, we brought in many new faces. We went well beyond the TARA contact list for this event.
- We built stronger ties with labor groups through this event. At least 8 unions or CLC and Building trades council contributed $. One key to turnout was our list of over 30 endorsing organizations. Most of the endorsing organizations sent at least 1 or 2 and some brought as many as 8 to 10. Austin DSA got 10 members there and TSEU brought the most with at least 12 or more. Congressman Doggett's staff was another factor, - they did a letter to constituents and sent emails and did press for us in addition to our own efforts.
Austin Beloved Community memories
The Austin Texas Alliance for Retired Americans chapter met June 20, 2015? to finalize the plans for their Medicare 50th Birthday Celebration on July 25, plus discussed a possible fall fundraiser and ways to increase membership. Attending were Austin President Glenn Scott, TARA Secretary Tony Padilla, Austin Secretary-Treasurer Teresa Perez-Wiseley, Texas AFL-CIO Director/TARA Liaison Lee Forbes and Committee members Marie Drummond, Danny Fetonte and Yolanda Delgado.
Thomas Grace meeting
Thomas Grace is also speaking tonight at the TSEU Union Hall at 7pm, located at 1700 S. 1st St.
- Thomas Grace is our guest on Rag Radio today, Fri. 4/8, 2-3 p.m. (CT) on KOOP 91.7-FM in Austin. Tom, a survivor of the 1970 Kent State shootings -- when National Guardsmen shot unarmed students, killing four -- is the author of "Kent State: Death and Dissent in the Long Sixties." Stream it live:
Austin DSA national conference delegate
Protesting Health Bill
Democratic Socialists of America Unity
DSA Labor Statement of Support for Danny Fetonte
In August 2017 a group of Democratic Socialists of America labor activists issued a joint statement of support for newly elected DSA NPC member Danny Fetonte. The group was fighting back against other DSAers wanting to remove Fetonte for his past work for a Texas law enforcement union.
Austin DSA Socialist Feminist Book Club
Glenn Scott September 27, 2017:
Let's starting talking healthcare for ALL!! Thank you Bernie for introducing Medicare for All . Let's get to work educating people - we don't have to have a healthcare crisis! — with Susan Cotham, Courtney Alexa, Linda Kniolek and Derrick Crowe.
2017 Austin DSA leadership
New leadership for Austin Democratic Socialists of America, November 2017.
- Co-chairs - Glenn Scott, David Pinkham
- Secretary - James Cole
- Treasurer Stephanie Trinh
- Membership Coordinator - Jacob Aronowitz
- Members At Large - Liz Garcia, Monica Olvera, Ashkan Jahangiri, Marcus Denton
Left Up To US Closed Facebook group
Texas DSA - Red State Rising
Austin DSA comrades
Glenn Scott August 11, 2017 ·
DSA members beat the heat in Atx at july 29 Our Lives On the Line rally and march to stop Trumpcare ! Front row, Danny Saenz & David Wittie,(back row) David Pinkham , Ryan Rosshirt , Robin Hofpauer, Chau Lan Ngo, Monica Olvera , Cynthia Mancha, James Cole, Courtney Szigetvari, Roy Woody, Glenn Scott, Linda Kniolek & Akhil Mulgonaert.
- Minutes of the Meeting of the Expanded National Interim Committee, January 2-4, 1976 Pittsburgh, PA
- NAM 10th Convention Agenda, July 29, 1981
- NAM National Council meeting notice Dec 12 1980
- NAM Commission Chairs list, 1980 - 1981
- NAM Discussion Bulletin No 5, Spring 81, page 1o
- Tribute to Ben Dobbs program, June 7, 1981
- Conference program brochure
- Noticias, April 1982]
- DSA Feminist Commission Directory, 1985
- 1986 DSA Feminist Commission Directory
- Rag Blog METRO | 1,000 march on Texas State Capitol to mark Austin’s ‘Day of the Fallen’By Glenn Scott | The Rag Blog | March 4, 2015
- TARA, Austin Reports a Terrific Medicare Event
- TARA FB pic June 20 2015?
- DSA Labor Statement of Support for Danny Fetonte