Ethel Schwartz is a Michigan activist.
Honoring Eve Neidelman
On September 4, 1999, Ethel Schwartz added her name to the below greeting, in the September 4, 1999, Labor Day Supplement of People's Weekly World, Page F.
- Eve Neidelman 1902-1999 - "We honor a life devoted to the American Working Class and its Trade Unions. A promoter of Art and Artists, and a strong believer in Socialism. May her memory serve as an inspiration.
Memorial to Coleman Young
Signatories to the memorial included Ethel Schwartz.
2007 Frederick Douglass-Eugene V. Debs Dinner
Over 250 people attended the Greater Detroit Democratic Socialists of America 2007 Frederick Douglass-Eugene V. Debs Dinner held at UAW Local 600 in Dearborn on Saturday, November 17. The dinner honored State Representative Alma Wheeler Smith and American Federation of Teachers-Michigan President David Hecker. Michigan State AFL-CIO President Mark Gaffney delivered the keynote address—a PowerPoint presentation on the threat of Right-to-Work (for less) legislation in Michigan. The dinner co-chairs were Metropolitan Detroit AFL-CIO President Saundra Williams and retired UAW Vice-President Richard Shoemaker. The Bill Meyer Group provided entertainment.
- Alice and I are proud lifetime members of DSA and have been so for about the past twenty years.We both go back to the days of the Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee (DSOC). I realize merger with the New American Movement (NAM) some twenty-five years ago demanded a name change, but I much prefer the name DSOC. Why? Because it says ‘Organizing Committee.’ Our ability tobe effective is based on our power. We build power through organizing. You all know that. You do it every day. In fact, if Ethel Schwartz, Selma Goode, and Helen Samberg haven’t talked with you tonight and persuaded twenty of you to attend yet another event, I would be disappointed..."
Gray Panthers dinner
Oct. 6. 2007 the Gray Panthers of Metro Detroit held a Dinner at United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 876—The honorees include Saundra Williams, Elaine Crawford, Louis Green, Father John Nowlan, and the Raging Grannies. Keynote speaker is U.S. Rep. John Conyers, Jr. Contact for the event was Greater Detroit Democratic Socialists of America affiliate Ethel Schwartz.
People’s Weekly World fundraising events around the country 2007 showed the strength and vitality of the progressive movement.
In Detroit, friends of the PWW came together to honor Angelo Deitos, Ruth Goldman, Dave Moore, Quill Pettway, Carl Reinstein and Stella Reinstein and Ethel Schwartz, seven longtime heroes whose lives are part of the history of the city. Collectively the seven were involved in the Ford Hunger March, the organization of the UAW, the National Negro Labor Council, fought against segregation, repression and have led lives dedicated to the fight for peace.
Among those paying tribute were Detroit City Councilwoman JoAnn Watson; Mike Kerwin, a leader of the Michigan Labor History Society; Elena Herrada, the director of Southwest Detroit’s Centro Obrero; Steve Noffke from Local 600 UAW and Erica Smiley, the chair of the Young Communist League.
The Justice Caucus
On March 21, 2010, The Justice Caucus held their annual award and fundraising dinner in honor of the life of Millie Jeffrey. The dinner was held at the Courtyard by Marriott, 3205 Boardwalk Dr., Ann Arbor. The keynote speaker was Governor Madeleine M. Kunin (Vermont) and the MC for the night was Michael McGuinness, chair of the Oakland County Democratic Party. The following progressive activists were recognized with the Millie Jeffrey award, "reflecting their commitment and work for economic and social justice": Elizabeth Bunn, secretary-treasurer of the UAW; Maryion T. Lee; Ethel Schwartz; and Ron Scott. Sarah Juster, an Ann Arbor high school student "who has shown exceptional leadership in the fight against genocide and to provide relief to the refugees of Darfur," received the Millie Jeffrey Rising Star Award.
Endorsed SB 1306
As at Feb. 10, 2011, Ethel Schwartz had endorsed State Senator Hansen Clarke's Senate Bill 1306, "which would stop all mortgage foreclosures and evictions for two years." The bill is being supported by the Workers World Party-front, Moratorium NOW!.
- GDDSA Jan. 2008
- GDSA newsletter archives 2007
- http://www.peoplesworld.org/saluting-the-people-s-struggle-and-the-pww/ PW, Saluting the peoples struggle and the PWW by: Dan Margolis December 21 2007]
- Blogging For Michigan: The 2010 Spirit of Millie Jeffrey Award Dinner on tap, March 16, 2010 (accessed on Jan. 31, 2011)
- Moratorium NOW!: Endorsers of Senate Bill 1306 (accessed on Feb. 9, 2011)